• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Do People Give You a Hard Time for Dropping/Bouncing Weights at the Gym?

SubliminalX

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
I get this shit every blue moon at the public gym. And it's always from some old fart with a gut who pretends to be a lifting guru. My response is always respectful, without raising my tone or acting annoyed. No need for me to make a scene in public and appear to be the bad guy. But hell, when you're shoulder pressing 90 pound dumb bells or chess pressing 120s, it's impossible (at least for me) to set the weights down completely softly without injuring yourself. There's always gonna be a little bounce off the floor, and it's never even nearly enough to cause a big thud that makes everyone turn their heads. But to some of these geezers, I'm "damaging the weights." Why would they care!?!? They never use the heavy weights anyway. And they're fuckin weights, not dinner plates. It's dangerous to even have a spotter try to take them off me after a set.

Most gyms have rules against dropping/throwing weights as part of their safety policies. But if the employees aren't saying anything about the way I handle weights, then other gym users ought to just mind their damn business and not interrupt my workout to try to lecture me. :mad:

a totally innocent question : if you can control the weight almost to reach the floor then can you not just control it that small amount more all the way to the floor? Regardless - I think that people understand that if you are lifting heavy then you'll always tend to drop/bounce the weights - what I think the gyms are guarding against is the annoyance caused by people who think its cool to drop the weights - and they are lifting a pathetic weight, not heavy

Davo said:
a totally innocent question : if you can control the weight almost to reach the floor then can you not just control it that small amount more all the way to the floor? Regardless - I think that people understand that if you are lifting heavy then you'll always tend to drop/bounce the weights - what I think the gyms are guarding against is the annoyance caused by people who think its cool to drop the weights - and they are lifting a pathetic weight, not heavy

When I can I don't drop the weights myself....but you could injure urself trying to put down some heavyweights sometimes, if ur trying to let it down and lose ur balance or something....

The only time I drop wieghts is when I'm flat DB pressing.

If you can pick it up and lift it properly, then you should be able to put it down properly. Sometimes things happen but for the most part you should be able to set the weight down. I can press 120s for chest and 90s for shoulders and have never had a problem putting them down. I have a set of 90s at my gym with loose heads on them, kinda makes you realize that dropping weights does damage them and that you could get hurt lifting faulty equipment. JMO:)

t.durden said:
If you can pick it up and lift it properly, then you should be able to put it down properly. Sometimes things happen but for the most part you should be able to set the weight down. I can press 120s for chest and 90s for shoulders and have never had a problem putting them down. I have a set of 90s at my gym with loose heads on them, kinda makes you realize that dropping weights does damage them and that you could get hurt lifting faulty equipment. JMO:)

are you tyler from RSD?

I usually let gravity take over when I'm done with my set. This occurs after the concentric portion of the lift, I skip the excentric part, and just let the wieghts fall to each side. It sounds like the end of the world. :thumb: :thumb:

Only a total loser drops the weights from the top of the movement, I don't see this much anymore because most gyms will kick these trolls out if they continue to do it. If you can't handle free weights like a man then go buy a Bowfex and workout at home.

IML Gear Cream!
If I'm training and doing a set to failure, and I get stuck at the bottom, I drop them, yep. Never had anyone come at me about it.

t.durden said:
If you can pick it up and lift it properly, then you should be able to put it down properly.
that's what i was thinking.

I lift at home so no one really complains, but I definitely know what you're talking about. If I'm DB benching with heavy weights, I certainly can't do an oddly positioned reverse hammer curl with the same weight I use for benching. I let it down as softly as I can but I'm not going to injure myself just to make sure a piece of steel is 'safe.' I also don't see the point in limiting the weight you use so you can put it down as softly as possible. Maybe if other people actually used some kind of intensity with their workouts, they wouldn't be paying attention to what you do.

I don't mind a little drop, at least if you try and set them down. Some people hit lockout and just chuck them down. That is obnoxious. However, I rest the dumbbells on my chest and kind of do an explosive situp so they are supported by my quads so this doesn't happen.

CowPimp said:
I don't mind a little drop, at least if you try and set them down. Some people hit lockout and just chuck them down. That is obnoxious. However, I rest the dumbbells on my chest and kind of do an explosive situp so they are supported by my quads so this doesn't happen.

that's exactly how i do it

Ahem...

You are all FAGS!

I'll fucking throw the barbell through the godamn squatrack when I'm done
and all you quiet nazi panzee police can kiss my ass!

(PS... I workout at one of the nicer fitness facilities where they scorn
things like this, and I have never been "talked to")

Last edited:
Lol, my gay ass gym complains to me when I re-rack the weights to loadly. I had words with one of the workers about two weeks ago. He walks over to me and ask me if I can rack the 45's without clanking them together, so I told him that if he says another fucking word to me about how I re-rack the weights, that I wasn't going to re-rack them at all. He is a skinny little bitch that has no buniness working at a gym, and hasn't as much as looked at me funny ever since our nice little chat.

my gym is sweet because of the fact that there are 2 sepreate gyms. One for the ladies and one for the men so that gets the women outta the way. Then there is a seperate room for all the free weights and hammer sstrenght and shit so most old people stay in the room with the machines so there outta the way. and the good thing is most guys that work out there are 18-45 and they all make noise and no one gives a shit. If u dont like the clanking id say go get a fucking IPOD and you wont hear it. My theory in life is that there are just some people out there that arent happy unless they are complaining about something. Ive met plenty of these people in my day and i just tell they to kiss my ass. Thats what is wrong with this world today, the minorities and by that i mean the few people outta many complain and for some reason we confirm to what a few people want instead of tell them to kiss off and if u dont like it go work out at Curves.

t.durden said:

That is exactly what I was thinking. If you can lift them then you should be able to put them down without dropping them.

I never had trouble setting the weights down on say a dumb bell press. There was this one guy pressing the 90's and then he threw them to his sides and each dumb bell they fell/bounced 4 feet away from him and it almost hit me in the foot. Didn't say anything either.

IML Gear Cream!
fufu said:
I never had trouble setting the weights down on say a dumb bell press. There was this one guy pressing the 90's and then he threw them to his sides and each dumb bell they fell/bounced 4 feet away from him and it almost hit me in the foot. Didn't say anything either.

I would have thrown it back at him. Or atleast a five pounder:D ! I can shoulder press 90's but throwing them may be difficult!

Monster Mayhem said:
my gym is sweet because of the fact that there are 2 sepreate gyms. One for the ladies and one for the men so that gets the women outta the way. Then there is a seperate room for all the free weights and hammer sstrenght and shit so most old people stay in the room with the machines so there outta the way. and the good thing is most guys that work out there are 18-45 and they all make noise and no one gives a shit. If u dont like the clanking id say go get a fucking IPOD and you wont hear it. My theory in life is that there are just some people out there that arent happy unless they are complaining about something. Ive met plenty of these people in my day and i just tell they to kiss my ass. Thats what is wrong with this world today, the minorities and by that i mean the few people outta many complain and for some reason we confirm to what a few people want instead of tell them to kiss off and if u dont like it go work out at Curves.

It's not really about the noise, it's about breaking the weights. Some dumbfuck snapped one of the ends from the handle on our 100 pound dumbbell not too long ago because he decided throwing them was a good idea.

Also, my gym is located on the upper floor of a mall. It rattles the shit out of the restaurant downstairs I'm sure. Of course, they have to deal with it when I'm deadlifting. Heh.

CowPimp said:
It's not really about the noise, it's about breaking the weights. Some dumbfuck snapped one of the ends from the handle on our 100 pound dumbbell not too long ago because he decided throwing them was a good idea.

Also, my gym is located on the upper floor of a mall. It rattles the shit out of the restaurant downstairs I'm sure. Of course, they have to deal with it when I'm deadlifting. Heh.

Well...

You better stop deadlifting then - :rolleyes:

The Monkey Man said:
Well...

You better stop deadlifting then - :rolleyes:

Well here's the thing. When I set down my deadlifts it's not even as bad as some people who drop their weights. I swear to God some people obviously do it for attention. The only time I really slam it down is when it takes me 10 seconds to grind out a 1RM and I'm just out of gas mentally and physically.

t.durden said:

word. i was always taught that if you can pick them up, you can put them down.

assholes who drop the weights are the ones responsible for breaking them as far as i'm concerned. nobody gives a fuck how tough you are just because you used the 120s for a set; please put them down properly. there are others who would like to use them too, and can't when they are broken.

thanks

When doing cleans from the floor I do a controlled drop, but they are with bumper plates so it is irrelevant anyway.

CowPimp said:
Well here's the thing. When I set down my deadlifts it's not even as bad as some people who drop their weights. I swear to God some people obviously do it for attention. The only time I really slam it down is when it takes me 10 seconds to grind out a 1RM and I'm just out of gas mentally and physically.

Isn't that simply lifting to failure?

SubliminalX said:
I get this shit every blue moon at the public gym. And it's always from some old fart with a gut who pretends to be a lifting guru. My response is always respectful, without raising my tone or acting annoyed. No need for me to make a scene in public and appear to be the bad guy. But hell, when you're shoulder pressing 90 pound dumb bells or chess pressing 120s, it's impossible (at least for me) to set the weights down completely softly without injuring yourself. There's always gonna be a little bounce off the floor, and it's never even nearly enough to cause a big thud that makes everyone turn their heads. But to some of these geezers, I'm "damaging the weights." Why would they care!?!? They never use the heavy weights anyway. And they're fuckin weights, not dinner plates. It's dangerous to even have a spotter try to take them off me after a set.

Most gyms have rules against dropping/throwing weights as part of their safety policies. But if the employees aren't saying anything about the way I handle weights, then other gym users ought to just mind their damn business and not interrupt my workout to try to lecture me. :mad:
your obvious;y some young lad who has no respect for other peoples personal property. If you were lifting in your house and had tile floors asshole, would you drop them. Probably if it was your parents

I fucking hate people who drop weights. And the people who do drop weights usually have the worst form out of anyone else there but try lifting more weight they'll ever be able to handle, and then on their last rep they'll drop the weights and walk off like they're the coolest mothafuckers there. I hate those goddamn people and if you are one of those people, learn some form, stop being a bitch, and place the weights down properly. Respect your gym equipment. That's just my oppinion though.

Davo said:

I guess my end of set technique just sucks then. On exercises such as the chest presses, I lay the weights on my chest and roll on to the side a little. This gets the weight maybe to about 6-8 inches off the floor, but anymore I feel like I'm gonna tear my shoulder right out of its socket.

Back