• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

hypertrophy?

mandypumpkin

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
(1-5 for strength, 6-9 for hypertrophy, 10 and up for endurance)

Okay....don't think less of me for asking this.
Here it goes....I know that you want to do heavy weight for 1-5 reps to gain strength (right?). But what exactly is hypertrophy?:confused:

Originally posted by mandypumpkin
But what exactly is hypertrophy?:confused:

Hypertrophy = muscle growth.

There are no silly questions around here. That's what the website is here for. :)

Thanks....
So, what's the difference between increasing strength and muscle growth?

think of the powerlifters you've seen - crazy strong but not typically having the most aesthetic muscle development.

they train for strength and power rather than increased muscle size.

Ohhhhh....I gotcha! Thanks!
So, if I am looking to gain lbm, I should go for 6-9 reps?

6-12 reps is what makes the muscle grow, but remember if you are on your 12th rep and can still keep going, next time use a weight that will make you fail at the 12th rep.

Muscle can still grow from 1-5 reps.

Chicken I agree, but you would argue with a telephone pole!!

No i wouldn't ;)

:laugh:

Hyper Trophy is what my sons win for their behavior. :)

Here is my opinion.

Breaking it down to 1-5reps, 6-9, and 10 and up, I believe is not correct. You have two types of muscle fibres, fast twitch and slow twitch. Depending on your body type you have to figure out what works best for you. I do very well on higher reps and I have muscle growth. My PT got me started on doing 1 set of 85reps doing 25 light, 5 heavy, 25 light, 5 heavy, and then 25 light non stop. This hit both types of muscle fibre and works great for me. Now I am doing 1 set of 15 with a weight that I fail twice, or supersetting 10 sets of 5 reps with no failure at all.

I may have these backwards but,

fast twitch for higher weight lower reps
slow twitch for lower weight higher reps

Vary your workouts, do one week heavy and one week light. Don't get stuck doing week after week after week of 3 sets 8-12 reps.

Cycle your eating also, like w8lifter is doing. Keep your body guessing.

Gopro can give better advice than what I am.

It sure sounds like I am getting into some complicated stuff. I have always stuck to the same diet, and I have varied my workouts some. It sounds like I'm in for a whole new deal!

Hell, I can write you a research paper about the causes of hypetrophy with respect to all sorts of variables (and have).

But the important thing to remember is "heavy."

If you *want* it complicated, I'm quite capable of going into excruciating detail.

Back