• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Exercises with a fused vertebrae?

Adamjs

Adamjs
Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
One of my friends has a fused vertebrae and steel rod in his back. The orthopedic surgeon recommended him doing swimming - but didn't really say anything else more specific. Has any one of you guys got any idea what exercises he can and cannot do because of this?

which vertabrae are fused together? I know people that still workout with fused vertabrae in their lumbar region. they just are limited to what they can do because they lack some ROM from the fusing. Why doesn't he ask or see a physical therapist that can give him more guidance to his specific problem?

P-funk said:
which vertabrae are fused together? I know people that still workout with fused vertabrae in their lumbar region. they just are limited to what they can do because they lack some ROM from the fusing. Why doesn't he ask or see a physical therapist that can give him more guidance to his specific problem?

Yeah, and when he reports back his results to you let us know. I would be very interested to learn how to deal with a situation like that.

P-funk said:

It's in the lumbar region. I think he's just a lazy arse and couldn't be bothered to go back to the physio - it might be physiophobia. When the operation was first done - like 5-6 years back it was like constant physio from what he said but it was more static type of exercises eg. pressing back onto floor and that type of stuff.

Every exercise I sort of try and come up with his answer is that it will put pressure on the spine (squats, military press, etc) or will stretch it out (chin ups; lat pull downs; etc) and the physio said he can't do that - apparently. But I've never been able to get out of him what he "can" do other than swimming.

Adamjs said:
It's in the lumbar region. I think he's just a lazy arse and couldn't be bothered to go back to the physio - it might be physiophobia. When the operation was first done - like 5-6 years back it was like constant physio from what he said but it was more static type of exercises eg. pressing back onto floor and that type of stuff.

Every exercise I sort of try and come up with his answer is that it will put pressure on the spine (squats, military press, etc) or will stretch it out (chin ups; lat pull downs; etc) and the physio said he can't do that - apparently. But I've never been able to get out of him what he "can" do other than swimming.

I train an orthopedic surgeon and head of Sports Medecine at one of the big NY hospitals at 5pm today. I will ask him and report back for you.

My father had two surgeries to his lower lumbar. One was a fusion between L4,L5. The man lifted like a beast only 1 year after the surgery and had no adverse reaction.

As far as I understand a straight forward fusion will just limit range of motion. Once the injury is healed he should be able to go back to a normal routine.

Of course he should consult a doctor as I'm not one.

P - That would be cool if you could.

largepkg - he was trying to tell me that with the fusion and the metal rod that there is not only a reduced range of motion but muscle wasting around the area. But i'm really not overly sure. It's great to know that if your dad can make a comeback then my friend should/could/may be able to.

The next thing I need to do is slap the apathy out of him.

Last edited:
sorry. we will have to wait until next week. he didn't make it last night because he was stuck in the operating room.

P-funk said:
sorry. we will have to wait until next week. he didn't make it last night because he was stuck in the operating room.

Damn doctors and their mislead priorities.:grumble:

Back