• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Food Combining

IML Gear Cream!
Just curious - how would gall bladder removal affect the digestion of fats? Had mine out when I was like 11.

And...? Because she's a woman?

No, nothing to do with being a woman...in fact women tend to give more level headed advice (9 times outta 10).

And... she gives dietary advice but she really doesn't look like she practices it herself. Her specialty in the field does not relate to nutrition and diet (I realize that it doesn't have to) but she seems more like someone who jumped on the diet book train because it's marketable. I'll give her credit, she's rubbed elbows with a number of celebs. That's fine, but her bodybuilding advice is hard to swallow if she doesn't train herself
(
No, I don't know that for a fact.
Yes, I'm judging a book by it's cover.
No, I don't know enough about her personally.
No, I've never read her book (and I don't intend to).
Yes, I'm making quite a number of assumptions here
).

To me. someone like Emma-Leigh and P-Funk seem to have more credible advice and practical knowledge.

edit:

All that said....someone like Sue Johanson has amazing advice but is a little "odd", so, I suppose it's not fair to paint educators with the same brush I guess.

suewithbag.jpg

Last edited:
That's fine, but her bodybuilding advice is hard to swallow if she doesn't train herself

But no one said anything about bodybuilding advice, which she doesn't claim to give. This has to do with hormone manipulation through diet. She never claimed in any of her writings to know the ins and outs of weight training, though of course she recommends it.

Albert Einstein never traveled to outer space, and Stephen Hawking has never visited a black hole. But their writings are taken as ne plus ultra. :eyebrow:

My original post was that there may be something to combining foods, and I think she gives a plausible reason. After all she does have a degree or two and cites references in the book, not just writing off the top of her head.

Just curious - how would gall bladder removal affect the digestion of fats? Had mine out when I was like 11.
It doesn't cause too many problems at all. Instead of the gallbladder storing the bile and secreting it to the intestines, it come straight from the liver. Some people have diarreha problems afterwards which has to do with the passage way of the bile.

But no one said anything about bodybuilding advice, which she doesn't claim to give. This has to do with hormone manipulation through diet. She never claimed in any of her writings to know the ins and outs of weight training, though of course she recommends it.

Albert Einstein never traveled to outer space, and Stephen Hawking has never visited a black hole. But their writings are taken as ne plus ultra. :eyebrow:

My original post was that there may be something to combining foods, and I think she gives a plausible reason. After all she does have a degree or two and cites references in the book, not just writing off the top of her head.
I'm not sure what you are even debating though. There are more than enough studies out there to dispel this food combining myth.

I'm not sure what you are even debating though. There are more than enough studies out there to dispel this food combining myth.

I thought these forums were for serious debate. I wasn't aware that this thread was a proclamation.

I'm sorry if I stepped on anyone's toes.

No no no....not at all. I love a good debate :) I'm just trying to figure what it is that you are debating about........

The only debate I've seen is that you think this women is right but we have argued that she is not right. I think her ideas and methods are way out of date and there is a lot of scientific studies to prove it.

Please do carry on :) This is good for everyone.

1. I don't go along with the not combining foods claim. I think that's b.s.

2. I think there is merit in what she says about controlling insulin and glucagon release by combining.

After all, isn't it common wisdom to take simple carbs post workout to cause an insulin spike to shuttle protein into the cells? That's a combination for hormonal manipulation.

She is saying: put the brakes on insulin release by adding some fat to a protein/carb meal. That's a different combination for a different purpose.

Voila! Negates the no-combinations! :clapping:

I think we're kind of saying the same thing... just a different way.

I've always said that fat slows down gastric emptying to allow an easy steam of insulin release instead of a large surge. This is why I don't believe in PWO insulin spikes.

All meals should be well balanced. Fat and fiber slow down gastric emptying and provides satiety.

The whole protein/carb separation thing really annoys me because it makes absolutely no sense. At night I do believe people should have protein and fats though and that's due to circadian rythms, cortisol and insulin surges before bed and has nothing to do with the crap about "protein decaying in the gut" BS.

I've always said that fat slows down gastric emptying to allow an easy steam of insulin release instead of a large surge. This is why I don't believe in PWO insulin spikes.

All meals should be well balanced. Fat and fiber slow down gastric emptying and provides satiety.

The whole protein/carb separation thing really annoys me because it makes absolutely no sense. At night I do believe people should have protein and fats though and that's due to circadian rythms, cortisol and insulin surges before bed and has nothing to do with the crap about "protein decaying in the gut" BS.

Omg! We agree! :clapping: :D

Seriously, I don't do the pwo shake thing because since I am insulin resistant, i.e. diabetic :rolleyes: and on meds. the last thing I need is more sugar and insulin floating around doing nothing.

the crap about "protein decaying in the gut" BS

Snopes debunked that, and Quackwatch debunked the colon cleansing thing.

IML Gear Cream!
author of The Gladiator Diet, fruit should not be consumed less than one hour before, or less than two hours after a protein, unless consumed with some fat. The reason is that the insulin response caused by the fruit is enough to interfere with the glucagon response of the protein, thereby interfering with fat burning. Consuming some fat will blunt the insulin response.

I don't debate the "fat will blunt the insulin response" comment.

fruit should not be consumed less than one hour before, or less than two hours after a protein, unless consumed with some fat.
Call it what you will but it's restrictions that ultimately aren't necessary (*IF*, your daily diet choices are in check). I've said it before, that people should eat meals. Meals contain a protein, slow digesting carb and some sort of healthy fat. The point about fruit should not be consumed less than one hour before, or less than two hours after a protein shake because it will "knock me out of fat burning mode" is trying to micro-manage insulin. If your calories are in check and you are making quality food choices, you really should be fine in my opinion.

The problem with that time restriction statement is that it generates that age old unnecessary fear that fruit will somehow make a person fat. Or worse cause a person to avoid fruit because they just ate a protein. Unless you're preparing for a competition (and this book isn't directed at bodybuilders, as you mentioned), that kind of avoidance and thinking is unhealthy to me.

Or I've mis-understood the whole she-bang....which, at this point is quite possible LOL.

trying to micro-manage insulin. If your calories are in check and you are making quality food choices, you really should be fine in my opinion.

Agreed. And exercise is a major component IF you are the kind of person who does have hormonal issues (e.g. diabetes).

Hey, there's some things in her theories I've questioned, just like I question a lot of writers. You gotta sift through it all, experiment and find out what works.

fruit digests in 30 min . If you eat it on top of a meal it will just sit on top and rot . this is another 1 ive heard

fruit digests in 30 min . If you eat it on top of a meal it will just sit on top and rot . this is another 1 ive heard
Please show me a study that proves that.

Last edited:
I suppose if you had a problem with fast emptying or perhaps GERD or celiac disease then it's possible that partially undigested food would be digested by bacteria elsewhere (Large Intestines) causing gas.

Eating fruit before meals and other food combining rules
Natural Hygienists have known for a long time that fruit doesn???t combine well with other foods. The reason is that fruit contains simple sugars that require no digestion. Thus, they will not stay for a long time in the stomach. Other foods, such as foods rich in fat, protein and starch, will stay in the stomach for a longer period of time because they require more digestion. So if you eat fruit after a meal, the fruit sugar will stay for too long in the stomach and ferment. This is why people experience digestive trouble when eating fruit that way. They then blame that particular fruit for their trouble and claim that they are ???allergic??? to it.

Natural Hygienists have been recommending for a long time that fruit be eaten alone with no other foods. They have also recommended eating melons alone and avoiding mixing acid fruits with sweet fruits such as bananas. These are great recommendations, but can be definitely be simplified.

Many people have a difficult time eating a meal of fruit alone. They???ll eat a meal of melon and not so long after they???ll be hungry again, for the simple and obvious reason that melons are not calorie dense. Eating a small cantaloupe (200 calories) is not going to sustain you for very long. But because they have read somewhere that mixing melons with other fruits is not allowed, they???ll try to wait until the next meal to eat something else and then will often in the meantime overeat on dried fruits and nuts to compensate.

The solution to this is very simple: since fruit digests so fast, it is possible to eat fruit before any other food. You can, when you are hungry, eat as much fruit as you care for. One type of fruit only would be ideal. Then wait a little bit, like 5-10 minutes, and have any other food you desire. This can be a salad, a little avocado with tomatoes, some nuts, or anything. It can be cooked food too. If you???ve been trying to follow food-combining rules without success, this new information could be very valuable to you.

The same goes with mixing other fruits together. You can eat all the melon you want, and then, if you are still hungry, eat another type of fruit to satisfy your appetite. It is not necessary to eat melons alone if they are eaten before another foods. You can even have melon and then have an avocado after. The only thing that is important to remember is to have the fruit first - not after, and ideally only have one variety at a time.

How to eat fruit
www.frot.co.nz/dietnet/reviews/foodcombining.
FeelGoodFood.com - pH Test Kits, pH Testing Refills, Feel Good Food Guide
Alder Brooke Healing Arts - Food Combining - 15k

One food at a meal is ideal! The safest way to eat on a daily basis is to eat simply. It is helpful to keep a log of everything you eat and are around. Once you have your health under control and feel comfortable with this new way of eating, add in more recipes and ideas. In time you will have your own program.

Drink 8 glasses of water from a pure source a day, but never with food. Your goal is to aid digestion not slow it down. Take it slow and be forgiving. Eat fruit at least 1/2 hour before other foods.

NOTE: Any combination of vegetables may be mixed with either one protein or one starch per meal. Never mix fruit with anything. Eat fruit at least 1/2 hour before other foods.

IML Gear Cream!
she meant scientific, peer reviewed studies....which those aren't. Essentially those sites can say whatever you want and (you'll notice) nothing is backed up with any scientific study at all (in fact it's a front to purchase a product or diet plan). There's no methodology, no testing, no data (Hypothesis, Testing, Results, Conclusion type stuff). Here's an example: Effect of glucose supplement timing on protein metabolism after resistance training -- Roy et al. 82 (6): 1882 -- Journal of Applied Physiology

Im not arguing mate . I always had stomach cramps after eating an apple after a dinner ,didnt know why thought my stomach didnt agree with them .since ive started eating fruit before a meal ive never had a problem . so that is my evidence to me. But im not arguing as everybody is different .But works for me

Back