• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Food Combining

Toughenuff

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
I got told recently by some Nutritionists that you shouldnt combine starchy carbs (bread, potatoes, rice etc) with proteins (chicken, steak, eggs etc) because your body cannot digest them both properly when they are combined and it doesnt absorb much protein. Apparently u are only suppose to combine meat with vegetables and salad for the protein to be abosrbed properly. Ive done some reading on the net and there are many articles backing this theory up.

But if this is all true then how the hell can you bodybuild without combining carbs and protein together to get the required calories and how have many people been combining these foods for years and still manage to build nice lean physiques and also remain healthy

Personally i think its all bullshit but i thought id ask for some more opinions on the matter and to see if anyone else knows more on the subject :hmmm:

bogus :lame:

fire your nutritionists...

If you search the forums you will find that it has been discussed before... But it is crap... How do you think babies survive (milk = combination of protein, carbs and fats)....??

Good point Emma, i wasnt sure so i thought id bring it up here. I couldnt imagine living on chicken salads forever

Some nutritionists told you that? Were they Registered Dieticians??? Are you serious?

Nessa

Oh by the way it's bunk.

I heard that a few years ago. I think it was one of those fad diets. when eating you should combine your food to get all the amino acids to get complete proteins. It is best to combined Grains with seeds i.e. bread with seeds, rice with sesame seeds. Grains with milk i.e. milk and cereal. Grains with legumes i.e. rice and beans.

wholebody said:
I heard that a few years ago. I think it was one of those fad diets. when eating you should combine your food to get all the amino acids to get complete proteins. It is best to combined Grains with seeds i.e. bread with seeds, rice with sesame seeds. Grains with milk i.e. milk and cereal. Grains with legumes i.e. rice and beans.

That's a totally different thing, that's not "food combining".

The fact that you need all 11 essential amino acids is true. Any food or combinations of food which contain all of the essential amino acids is called a "complete protein". Your body needs complete protein. It cannot use incomplete proteins, nor can it store them.

Meat is a complete protein, so carnivores don't have to worry about combining protein sources.

If you are a vegetarian however, you need to combine foods in order to achieve complete protein. Beans have 8 essential amino acids. Rice contains the other three. So together they are complete.That is absolutely valid.

Food combining is based on the idea that certain digestive enzymes, like the one's which digest proteins can deactivate the enzymes which break down carbohydrates. They're saying if you eat them together, one will not be digested. This is absdolutely untrue. Our bodies are designed to digest all sorts of different combinations of foods. It's just a dumb theory.

VanessaNicole

VanessaNicole said:
Meat is a complete protein, so carnivores don't have to worry about combining protein sources.

that is not true meats have the most complete but there are still some incomplete proteins. eggs are the most complete having a protein rating of 100 where lean beef only has a rating of 69. So combining grains, seeds and legummes with meats is a good idea.

Meat contains all of the essential amino acids. The rating refers to the percentage of the protein that is complete, and not the percentage of the amino acids contained therein.

A rating of 69 suggests that 69 percent of the proteins are complete in profile, not that the source contains 69 percent of 13 amino acids.

Either way, meats offer all of the necessary essential amino acids. There is no need to suppliment it as a protein source.

Vanessa Nicole

IML Gear Cream!
VanessaNicole said:
A rating of 69 suggests that 69 percent of the proteins are complete in profile, not that the source contains 69 percent of 13 amino acids.
Vanessa Nicole

You are right but if there is 69 percent complete proteins that means 31 percent are incomplete and are useless for your body. To make the 31 percent complete you must consume the missing amino acids and in turn changing the 69 rating to a 100.

Sorry but combining grains/legumes/dairy or anything else with your meat is just not necessary to ensure adequate complete and quality protein.

That is all.

VanessaNicole

I may be wrong but aren't you guys (and gals) confusing complete and incomplete proteins with BV.

BV ratings are a measure of nitrogen retention....not amino acid profiles

No. BV is the Bioligical Value rating of protein. And it measures the body's retention of the food nitrogen.

We are talking about (at least I am) Amino Acid Scoring. AAS is the evaluation of the quality of a food's amino acid composition in comparison to a reference protein (the reference protein scoring 100%). It's expressed in a percentage.

I see why you would think that though, because the BV of egg whites is 100% and the AAS of an egg is also 100%.

But they are different values.

VanessaNicole

Cough, bullshit, cough.

Food combining no formula for flushing out toxins Environmental Nutrition - Find Articles

Your body makes all the enzymes it needs for digestion. Every food contains more than one macro. For instance and apple has some protein in it. The theory of food combining is stupid. When you eat that apple your body will still produce all the enzymes it needs to break it down regardless of how much protein is in that meal or regardless of how much carbohydrates.

Not a "food combining" bit of nonsense, but according to Larrian Gillespie, MD, author of The Gladiator Diet, fruit should not be consumed less than one hour before, or less than two hours after a protein, unless consumed with some fat. The reason is that the insulin response caused by the fruit is enough to interfere with the glucagon response of the protein, thereby interfering with fat burning. Consuming some fat will blunt the insulin response.

"It's tempting to suggest he have a fruit smoothie for breakfast to get energy on the run. However, when protein and fructose, the natural sugar in fruit are combined without any fat, the response in the body is the same as if he ate several pieces of white bread or swallowed 3 tablespoons of corn syrup. So don't make the mistake of mixing a protein powder such as whey or soy with water and fruit. Always make a protein drink with 1% milk." - The Gladiator Diet, pp. 46-47

Btw, her recommended macronutrient ratio to properly manage testosterone and insulin (the book is geared towards men) is 40/35/25 protein/carb/fat.

The author of the gladiator diet:
gillespie.jpg

Her specialty is urology.

I guess it's a personal thing, but I've never had a problem with fruit and protein interfering with fat loss. Just based on my own personal experience, I find that this advice is a little bunk.

The author of the gladiator diet:
gillespie.jpg

'nuff said.

And...? Because she's a woman? :hmmm: She's also a urogynecological surgeon.

Larrian Gillespie received her medical degree from the University of California at Los Angeles School of Medicine and became the first woman to graduate from their prestigious Urology program, an accomplishment that earned her the featured cover story in Parade Magazine.

Over the next fifteen years, as a private practitioner, she brought about public awareness of an overlooked medical condition, interstitial cystitis, which resulted in three pharmaceutical patents from her pioneering research.

A frequent lecturer at international medical meetings, Larrian taught her colleagues how to diagnose and treat this "incurable" condition, through her more than 30 scientific articles and chapters in medical textbooks.

Maybe it is personal. Remember, one size does not fit all.

Last edited:
IML Gear Cream!
It's a bunch of bull! I just wrote an article that you will find in the Health forum on digestion. You can see that each organ plays an important role in digestion and regardless of what you eat, your body is still going to function this way. Go read the article.

That crap of not mixing macro nutrients was a fad from the 90s (possible earlier). And, like most fads, it'll make the rounds every few years.

What's a bunch of bull? Please clarify.
Please read the article. You will see that the liver releases bile to breakdown fat and the pancreas releases amylase and other enzymes to breakdown sucrose and then the pepsin for protein. It's doesn't determine one from the other so when you start to eat, all these enzymes and gastric juices are secreted no matter what you eat. If you just an apple then all of this is going to be secreted and now you are just causing harm to your digestive system because you are overworking it and it's producing enzymes it doesn't need. This is why they say to eat a complete meal everytime you eat.

Last edited:
this thread is as stupid as the idea that you can't combine certain foods.

I did read the article. And the excerpt I posted refers to hormone release, not digestive enzymes. The hormones being discussed have more far-reaching effects than digestive enzymes do.

The point of the excerpt is that the sugar of the fruit will cause an insulin release; the protein will cause a glucagon release. They are hormones having opposite functions:

Colorado State University, Endocrine System site: Glucagon

Colorado State University, Endocrine System site: Insulin

Consuming fat will blunt the insulin response.

The excerpt doesn't say to not combine foods, rather, it does say to combine foods given the hormonal response.

A hormone called cholecystokinin is released from the liver and gallbladder when food is detected and controls the release of bile. Insulin, glucagon and secretin are released from the pancreas when it gets that same signal. It senses food and it secretes the hormones. Take an apple as stated above. An apple has carbs and protein and even a small amount of fat. Every food has more than 1 macro in it. All digestive enzymes and hormones are secreted to process this apple.

Another thing to keep in mind.........it takes 10 mins - 3+ (depending what you eat) hours for your body to process food once it reaches the stomach. Then it goes to the small intestine. So take an apple again and say you eat that at 11am. That apple will spend a few hours in the stomach before it's moved along. Now 2 hours later at 1PM you have a post workout shake. Wow, that's predigested protein and it doesn't need to sit in the stomach for breakdown. Where do you think it's going? The small intestine which is exactly where the apple just went to after it sat in the stomach. So now you have both items in your small intestine for the digestion completion and hormone release. See what I mean? It doesn't matter...........

isn't that Trophology?
I've looked into that before...it has to do with proper digestion right?

trophology_chart.jpg

Back