• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Standing Military vs Seated Military

Standing Military vs Seated

• Standing Military

Votes: 22 53.7%
  • Seated Military

Votes: 19 46.3%

• Total voters

scbz01602

Banned Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
What are your opinions on the standing military press?

I'm into lifting for strength, so I plan on shying away from the seated shit from now on. Do you do it?

GoLdeN M 07 said:
well, the seated press is harder.

Really now? I understand recruiting a small push in the legs at the bottom of the motion will help a bit, but stabalizing a good amount of weight over the head seems a lot more difficult (aka, better)
and you didnt vote! what do you do bro?

GoLdeN M 07 said:

No, standing is definately harder... Balance is more of an issue, and your abs and lower back have more to stabilize as well when compared to sitting presses.

Anyway, If I'm using a BB I always stand, if I use DB's I sit... Just feels natural for me that way....

Plus, the rack we have at our gym for seated BB makes you reach pretty far back to unrack it, and if I don't get a lift off, it makes my shoulders feel funny, so I prefer standing.

GoLdeN M 07 said:

How so?

I much prefer standing overhead presses, though I also do them seated sometimes. With a barbell I like standing presses better because I can shift the weight from in front of me to overhead more naturally. With dumbbells I like either one.

I like standing presses.

scbz01602 said:
Really now? I understand recruiting a small push in the legs at the bottom of the motion will help a bit, but stabalizing a good amount of weight over the head seems a lot more difficult (aka, better)

Then that is a push press I believe, not a military press.

if you want to focus on the shoulders themselves, as in bodybuilding, do them seated, which enables you to use more weight theoretically. If you are interested in overall body strength, do them standing. To make it even more difficult, clean the bar off the floor into position and then press, as opposed to taking the bar off a rack.

i like standing. haven't done the seated in a long long time. seated excises also increase spinal load because you take your hips out of the movement and don't allow them to absorb force.

scbz01602 said:

my bad ive read somehwere that its more intense. For my shoulders i do lying lateral raises (4x10x10lbs) and one arm seated military presses (4x3x60lbs).

Always standing and always with DBs. Both increase the overall functionality in my way of thinking, which makes the above the best combination IMO.

I've done both. I like standing better.

I really can't tell any difference in one being harder than the other.

I like standing better, I can cheat at the last set if I need too.

scbz01602 said:
I can press about 25% more seated...Standing is harder and better for a compound movement and great for core work also.

IML Gear Cream!
ForemanRules said:
I can press about 25% more seated...Standing is harder and better for a compound movement and great for core work also.
it's wierd cause I am the opposite, it may be because I started with that lift being that I didn't have a bench.

I feel a lot more strain on my lower back when standing. when seated my lower back is supported and I can lift more.

Standing barbell, seated dumbells..

wholebody said:
I feel a lot more strain on my lower back when standing. when seated my lower back is supported and I can lift more.

don't lean back and hyperextend when you are standing. Most people do that when they are sitting also. This is a pretty basterdized lift IMO.

P-funk said:
don't lean back and hyperextend when you are standing. Most people do that when they are sitting also. This is a pretty basterdized lift IMO.
Leaning back is almost like doing incline bench presses.

I like variations..

Seated both barbell and DB. However, if you're lifting for strength, I find it harder to lift individual DB's when standing or sitting!!! 1/4 to 1/2 the energy is sucked just from getting the weight into the start position!

** Reason - because some f*cking moron is in the seat next to the heavy weight and he's not doing his set bc/ of some hot chick he's staring at! :mad: (rant)

ForemanRules said:

For a while I was 100+% stronger doing seated DBs vs. Standing DBs. (repped 100lbs in each hand sitting vs. struggling for reps of 45lbs in each hand standing)

I am a lot better now, but not that much better.

On a push day, I do a standing barbell, followed eventually by a standing DB.

I do seated on a flat bench because it prevents cheating and also use some stabilizers in the process

bigss75 said:
I do seated on a flat bench because it prevents cheating and also use some stabilizers in the process

Great idea...

Back