• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

streigth vs. incline vs. declined

fet123

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
the question is on the chest press with dummbells. I was wondering wats the difference between inclined vs. regular, wath are the muscle groups involved, is there a diference and is there a need to do both?

Aslo for dumbell fly wath the diferrence between regular v. declined and basickly all the question follow as the paragraph above. is there a need to do them both

and one more thing is the fly machine effective, or better the DB.

I would appreciate any suggestions, I am trying to modify my rutine.

Thanks

Incline chest pressing will stress the upper part of the chest more as opposed to flat pressing, the entire chest is still being worked though. The anterior deltoid comes more in to play as well.

As for flies, I prefer cable or machine because for some reason DB flies seem to stress my arms and shoulders more than me chest.

flat bench presses= for over all mass of the chest (involves triceps and shoulders)

inclined benh presses = for the upper chest area involves ur shoulders much more than the flat one

declined bench presses= targets the lower portion of ur chest and is god for over all mass

they could be done either using db's or bb u better alternate between them in every workout (never tried the declined one) u could do cable crosovers they are gr8 and help u to get the cuts in ur chest......actually there's no better exercise for flyes u choose 2-3 exercises that u feel most effective for u and alternate between them in each workout...

flyes = wider chest and outer areas (difference between inclined and flat is not a big difference just that the inclined involves the shoulders and it's better at leats for me than flat flyes...

Sorry, but I disagree.

I've always learned here from moderators and the like that a muscle contracts as a whole - no one part of a muscle can contract or remain calm. The pectoralis major, for example, is one muscle (on each side I believe), which means that one part of it cannot be 'stressed' more than the other - either the entire thing will contract or it won't.

It is true that incline brings the shoulders into the lift more, but in what ways I'm unclear.

Also, the shape of a muscle is predetermined - no one exercise can make one part of a muscle grow more than the other or shape the outer, inner, upper or lower portions of it. Just as a muscle contracts or doesn't as a whole, it will grow in whatever shape your genetics choose.

Squaggleboggin said:
Sorry, but I disagree.

I've always learned here from moderators and the like that a muscle contracts as a whole - no one part of a muscle can contract or remain calm. The pectoralis major, for example, is one muscle (on each side I believe), which means that one part of it cannot be 'stressed' more than the other - either the entire thing will contract or it won't.

It is true that incline brings the shoulders into the lift more, but in what ways I'm unclear.

Also, the shape of a muscle is predetermined - no one exercise can make one part of a muscle grow more than the other or shape the outer, inner, upper or lower portions of it. Just as a muscle contracts or doesn't as a whole, it will grow in whatever shape your genetics choose.

it's true that the shape of the muscle is predetermined but u could target the lower and outer areas , for example flyes will help u to build wider chest , if ur genetics make ur chest not wide so u wont change it but u may improve it do u get the point??

u need some isolation work and different variations for each muscle u can't just do the basics ....

assassin said:
it's true that the shape of the muscle is predetermined but u could target the lower and outer areas , for example flyes will help u to build wider chest , if ur genetics make ur chest not wide so u wont change it but u may improve it do u get the point??

u need some isolation work and different variations for each muscle u can't just do the basics ....

No, the muscle still contracts or does not contract as a whole; you cannot contract or emphasize only the outer portion of the muscle, for example. You can improve your chest by working the muscle how you see fit; it will grow however it will grow, but which exercise you choose will not help one part of it to be shaped differently had you chosen a different exercise.

I disagree that you need isolation work, even for bodybuilding purposes. It's fine to complement a routine with isolation, but the basics are all that is truly necessary to make a muscle grow.

ok i didn't talk about growth if u want to add size all u have to do is flat presses with the bar and that's it but muscle development requires variations and angles and isolation work ..... i never saw a body builder doing just presees and rows and squats.....u must do inclined work to work ur shoulders and join ur shoulders with your chest and u have to do flyes to improve ur over all muscle appearance....

assassin said:
ok i didn't talk about growth if u want to add size all u have to do is flat presses with the bar and that's it but muscle development requires variations and angles and isolation work ..... i never saw a body builder doing just presees and rows and squats.....u must do inclined work to work ur shoulders and join ur shoulders with your chest and u have to do flyes to improve ur over all muscle appearance....

Muscle development is size. The shape is predetermined and, as I said before, changing which exercise you do won't change the shape of the muscle because it's still either contracting or not.

You're right, most bodybuilders do not stick to the basics. But I doubt most of them know what they're doing, anyways. Many are on a lot of drugs and can do a crapload of work more than the average human being, for whom basic exercises provide enough of a stimulus for muscle growth. Your muscles do not know what exercise you're using - just that they're contracting and must adapt in order to be able to handle the stress the next time it occurs. As long as you have an intelligent plan, compound movements are plenty for muscle growth.

Adding other exercises for other parts of the body is, of course, absolutely necessary, but that's not what I'm trying to discuss at all. Even other exercises, such as overhead pressing, are compound, which means that isolation is still not absolutely necessary. Again, the muscles just know that they must grow or die.

IML Gear Cream!
i agree with u in every word u said but i still insist that isolation exercises are important , for example flyes will contract ur chest with ur front delts wich will will make u grow in proportion.......sorry if my english language is poor as i can't really express enough :D

assassin said:
i agree with u in every word u said but i still insist that isolation exercises are important , for example flyes will contract ur chest with ur front delts wich will will make u grow in proportion.......sorry if my english language is poor as i can't really express enough :D

Oh, I believe I see what you're saying more. In other words, doing isolation exercises can help bring the targeted muscles more into proportion by enlarging them more than compound movements in comparison to the stabilizers. While this is true, I think it becomes rather subjective, a matter of opinion if you will, as to what would look best then. And it's quite all right if english isn't your first language. I'm not getting mad but rather trying to understand your point of view.

:) yeah now u got what i mean now ,any way isolation is not a main thing in my workouts but i do them for the reason i told ya ......... i care most for the basics

I believe there is an upper and lower chest, and incline hits both but uses the upper more, but the whole inner and outter shit is bs

Back