• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Gaining Weight From GUM????

LB_SpecV

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Is it theoretically possible to gain weight, and/or get fat from chewing too much sugar-free gum that contains, lets say 5 calories and 1 gram/carb per piece????

Dumb question, but I'm wondering....

I'm sure chewing the gum would burn those 5 calories...

I was bored and just decided to ask for the hell of it, but I do admit...I am addicted to trident watermelon twist and chew A LOT of pieces of it per day....

if those calories are over what you burn a day, than yes you will gain weight.

Uh ohhhh

IMO-I would think that if you put a piece of gum in your mouth that contained about 5 calories and 1 gram of carbs, then chewing it alone would burn that off.

I wouldn't worry about it.

LB_SpecV said:
Is it theoretically possible to gain weight, and/or get fat from chewing too much sugar-free gum that contains, lets say 5 calories and 1 gram/carb per piece????

what the fuck made you think about asking this? That's the kind of question I usually ask.

HAHAHA, I was bored at work, and realized how much gum I chew everyday, and then look at the nutritional info on one piece of gum...Added it up and said to myself...."hmmm that could add up to a lot of carbs and cals"

It was out of boredom lol....

LB_SpecV said:
HAHAHA, I was bored at work, and realized how much gum I chew everyday, and then look at the nutritional info on one piece of gum...Added it up and said to myself...."hmmm that could add up to a lot of carbs and cals"

It was out of boredom lol....

An apple has more calories/carbs than a pack of gum. Does an apple make you fat? I should hope not. But try to stay away from artificial sweeteners, they are addictive, cause headaches and slow your metabolism. It has been proven!

I dont know about the slowing of metabolism thing but yea I know that art. sweetners arent the best for you.

So there is nothing wrong with the gum. However, studies have shown that even artifical sweetners can send off an insulin response so becareful on how much you chew. Another thing is that too much artificial sweetners can lead to craving of sweet stuff and therefore you are more likely to have a sweet cheat ;)

Yes, same thing with the splenda. Try the stevia liquid.

Jodi said:
Yes, same thing with the splenda. Try the stevia liquid.

I heard that splenda and the such can give a possible risk for cancer? and btw hope you don't mind me asking...is it really that *bad*??

splenda, if anyone has ever tasted it, taste like crap. and if you really want to have *sugar* i would recommend, 1.) dropping it in general and working around it without those subsitutes, which suck. 2.) picking it up as you feel comfortable with yourself about your sugar intake. I mean everyone needs a little bit of sugar...here and there, few and far between...so am i wrong?

LB_SpecV said:

It would take one big wad made of whale fat but sure!

Btw, studies suggest people who chew gum while doing work/studies tend to perform better and remember more.

ge3k0 said:
I heard that splenda and the such can give a possible risk for cancer? and btw hope you don't mind me asking...is it really that *bad*??

splenda, if anyone has ever tasted it, taste like crap. and if you really want to have *sugar* i would recommend, 1.) dropping it in general and working around it without those subsitutes, which suck. 2.) picking it up as you feel comfortable with yourself about your sugar intake. I mean everyone needs a little bit of sugar...here and there, few and far between...so am i wrong?
Another reason you should just switch to stevia :)

IML Gear Cream!
I've never read a study that showed artificial sweetners cause an insulin spike. Can someone provide one.

i should have been more clear. Those aren't what I meant by articles. I meant peer-reviewed articles. Those are just something someone through on a website and the claim that artficial sweetners causes an insulin spike is not backed up by a controlled study in those. A lot of them made their claims with no references to back them up. I seem to here this claim from a lot of holistic type practitioners and from anti-artificial sweetner websites, but I never have found a peer-reviewed study that shows the insulin spike. PubMed does, however have a lot of studies that show no reasonable proof for such an occurance.

I consume at least 4 packets of splenda per day with my coffee. I get enough sugar intake anyway. I consume about 3-4 tablespoons of ketchup per day also, hehe.

I apologize for my choice of wording. I did not mean to imply that I thought aspartame, or other artificial sweetners, had any significant impact on insulin if any impact at all.

I recall reading this several years ago, and on Pub Med, not through one of the sites, or any similar, listed above. I just wanted to throw that out there as a possible discussion, if anyone was more knowledgeable in these regards.

Could the sensation of a sweet tasting substance actually affect the tongue itself and produce a (negligable) insulin response?

yeah, I'm curious as well. i hear this spoken quite often as if it were gospel, but I'm wondering if it is one of those things that isn't based on much fact, but just gets repeated so many times that it becomes dogma. I'm assuming there is some controlled study out there that it is based off of, as perhaps inconclusive as it could be.

Is stevia available in normal supermarkets or did you order it online? I looked last time I was in the store I go to (Hannafords) but didn't see it - if it is sold in stores what section would be good to look in (checked baking needs)?

Dunno where you are, but I can Buy Stevia at the Grocery store here in Canada.

Just check the Health Section. Where they sell Multi's and Stuff like that.

Back