• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Mid/Upper back exercises

KarlW

My Little Man
Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
So I go to bed the other night with some mild discomfort in the mid/upper back (Thoracic?). It's something I've experienced every so often and it's usually worse when I wake, presumably from laying on it all night. I've always attributed it to some activity I've done the day before that I don't do very often like painting or landscaping for example. So the other night I wake up in the middle of the night in real discomfort and had to take pain killer to get back to sleep. The only thing I can think of was that the day before I'd done some brushing down of the gutters which involved holding and moving a broom overhead. Does this sound like a likely cause?

It definately feels muscular, though quite deep, like massaging the surface does nothing but if pressure is applied in a general sense I can certainly feel it and if I bend certain ways it hurts more. It's a dull type of pain that's sort of always there but can be intense if I move the wrong way. It is NOT lumbar but higher in the back, and feels strained, not just DOMS.

I do the regular back exercises like hypers, deads, rows etc and know what normal DOMS feels like in the back and nothing I have ever done in the gym has caused anything like this.

My question is, should other back work be incorporated into a routine that involves off-centre exercises like medicine ball work or something? I guess there'll always be something you might do one day that you haven't trained for and your muscles will complain later.

Last edited:
Sounds like your quadratus lumborum perhaps? Hard to say for sure, but if it is the quad then it could be strained.

Does rotation hurt?

CowPimp said:
Sounds like your quadratus lumborum perhaps? Hard to say for sure, but if it is the quad then it could be strained.

Does rotation hurt?

Rotation hurts very mildly. Actually any movement I do (twisting, bending forward, leaning back whilst standing or sitting only causes very mild pain. In fact I wouldn't even call it pain, just a sensation. The one thing that really hurts is lying on my back with a towel under my mid/upper back or sitting in a chair and arching back into the back rest. These cause pain quite high in the back. I think the quadratus looks too low from the diagrams. My discomfort is well up into the rib cage area.

Anyway, It's getting a little better. It's sometimes a bit of a mystery how these things happen when you can't really pinpoint the immediate cause.

LexusGS said:
i like cleans...

Me too and they are great but they are a 'centred' exercise. No turning or twisting of the spine. What I'm asking is, are there spinal muscles that don't get hit if all the exercises I do are centred?

KarlW said:
Me too and they are great but they are a 'centred' exercise. No turning or twisting of the spine. What I'm asking is, are there spinal muscles that don't get hit if all the exercises I do are centred?

There are definitely muscles that don't get fully stimulated unless you use rotation, or at least have to resist rotation like in a unilateral bench press with no counterweight or a unilateral bent row.

Back