• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Leg Size/Strength question

shiznit2169

flawless
Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
I'm just curious and i have thought about it for a while now. I decided to ask you guys to see what you think because i have a little problem.

Wouldn't it be wise to always do heavy weight and low reps for your legs to grow? Like, we are constantly walking around and using our legs every day. Just like our calves, we need to use heavy weight to really contract the muscle in order for them to grow because they already adapted when we just walk and use them everyday. Wouldn't the same work for legs?

The problem is, i can't get my legs to grow! I have tried every method out there whether it is heavy weight-low reps, moderate, or high rep squats. I have done supersets, dropsets, different tempo variations (ex: pausing in the hole) and so forth. I have done countless uni-lateral movements and i hit my posterior chain hard too. Don't get me wrong though, i do eat enough and my weight does go up steadily. My upper body has improved and i have gained size. It seems like my legs are lagging behind in size, but strength is improving.

I'm starting to think if it's genetics. I don't have the greatest genetics and it's incredibly tough to get big and thick despite my ectomorphic body. It's just frustrating to hear people ask me if i am working my legs because from their perspective, they don't think i do when it's actually one of my favorite bodyparts to workout and i work them very hard.

If i start focusing on heavy weight in the 1-5 range, will it do anything to help or is it best to stick to hypertrophy? Another thing that doesn't help is the fact that i am constantly on my feet because at college, i have classes everywhere around campus so i'm always walking and i use my legs a lot at work so i never seem to have the time to get enough rest. I still get a solid 8 hours of sleep each night though.

End rant

You have only been training a year or so, so give it time.....plus in one year you have not tried everything yet. I would hit them 2 times a week one day 6-8 reps the other 12-15.....just squats, deads and hamstring work.

ForemanRules said:
You have only been training a year or so, so give it time.....plus in one year you have not tried everything yet. I would hit them 2 times a week one day 6-8 reps the other 12-15.....just squats, deads and hamstring work.

I guess i am just a little impatient. I mean, they have grown but it's just lagging behind a little bit compared to my upper body. I do hit them twice a week since i am on an upper/lower split. One of the days is quad-dominant with accessory ham/glute work and the other day is ham/glute-dominate with accessory quad work.

Pretty soon, i'm going back to Full Body and will hit them 3 times a week.

shiznit2169 said:
I guess i am just a little impatient. I mean, they have grown but it's just lagging behind a little bit compared to my upper body. I do hit them twice a week since i am on an upper/lower split. One of the days is quad-dominant with accessory ham/glute work and the other day is ham/glute-dominate with accessory quad work.

Pretty soon, i'm going back to Full Body and will hit them 3 times a week.

Well, I hope that works out for you :thumb:

Keep trying different stuff. Make sure to give everything it's fair share of time though. Significant growth takes months, so keep that in mind. I always thought my legs kind of sucked, but they are actually in really good proportion with the rest of my body according to bodybuilding standards.

Get a tape and take measurements, I have a feeling they're not as bad as you think. The aesthetic bodybuilding standard is that your neck, calves, and arms are all supposed to be about the same size, and your legs 50% larger than that.

I agree with this, when i felt like this I tried kanukka curls and my gains started back up again...

Ya, i ought to get a tape measurement. I never really bothered to measure, just used the mirror for feedback. Where can i purchase one?

shiznit2169 said:
Ya, i ought to get a tape measurement. I never really bothered to measure, just used the mirror for feedback. Where can i purchase one?

Dunno actually. The only reason I even measured myself is my general manager happened to be measuring one of his long time clients in our break room and I grabbed it while he was writing shit down, heh.

shiznit2169 said:
Wouldn't it be wise to always do heavy weight and low reps for your legs to grow? Like, we are constantly walking around and using our legs every day. Just like our calves, we need to use heavy weight to really contract the muscle in order for them to grow because they already adapted when we just walk and use them everyday. Wouldn't the same work for legs?

End rant

How do your pants fit?? Think back to one year ago...do they fit tighter than before?? Did you have to go up a size?? That's how I know my legs have grown....aside from taking the conventional measurements....

i agree if you care about size, get a measuring tape. set some goals... like i want my arms to be 18inches, quads 28inches...etc and work like that, alot easier and you wont feel as lost.

CowPimp said:
Keep trying different stuff. Make sure to give everything it's fair share of time though. Significant growth takes months, so keep that in mind. I always thought my legs kind of sucked, but they are actually in really good proportion with the rest of my body according to bodybuilding standards.

Get a tape and take measurements, I have a feeling they're not as bad as you think. The aesthetic bodybuilding standard is that your neck, calves, and arms are all supposed to be about the same size, and your legs 50% larger than that.

I'm 19 years old, and relatively beginner, I have heard individuals in my situation gain faster due to higher hormone levels and shocking the muscles, would it still take months to see significant growth? I have adopted new tempo and am going back to lower weights until I correct my form, hopefully this won't shrink them.

PWGriffin said:
How do your pants fit?? Think back to one year ago...do they fit tighter than before?? Did you have to go up a size?? That's how I know my legs have grown....aside from taking the conventional measurements....

Hmm, good point. I have noticed that my jean shorts and pants feel tighter. I used to have to wear a belt but now i don't. Thanks for pointing it out.

chronicelite said:
I'm 19 years old, and relatively beginner, I have heard individuals in my situation gain faster due to higher hormone levels and shocking the muscles, would it still take months to see significant growth? I have adopted new tempo and am going back to lower weights until I correct my form, hopefully this won't shrink them.

It still takes time to see growth, yes. However, as a beginner you will see gains faster than you would at a more advanced training age for sure. Exactly how long is hard to quantify. Genetics, age, training program, diet, sleep, other daily activities, etc. are all contributing factors.

CowPimp said:
It still takes time to see growth, yes. However, as a beginner you will see gains faster than you would at a more advanced training age for sure. Exactly how long is hard to quantify. Genetics, age, training program, diet, sleep, other daily activities, etc. are all contributing factors.

:), thanks for the answer CowPimp :thumb:

shiznit2169 said:
I used to have to wear a belt but now i don't.

:finger: Are you talking about your legs or your wasteline?

Do you have breaks from leg training now and then, like a week or 2?

KarlW said:
:finger: Are you talking about your legs or your wasteline?

Do you have breaks from leg training now and then, like a week or 2?

I was referring to my waistline but it is tight all over which is what i meant. The way i do it, i usually lift hard for 3 weeks and then do an unload phase the 4th week. I repeat it again for another 4 weeks and then i take a full week off.

shiznit2169 said:
I was referring to my waistline but it is tight all over which is what i meant. The way i do it, i usually lift hard for 3 weeks and then do an unload phase the 4th week. I repeat it again for another 4 weeks and then i take a full week off.

Sounds good to me.

ForemanRules said:

I agree with changing the reps. Hit all of the muscle fibers with heavy and high rep stuff.

Back