• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Couple of basic questions.. (Weight loss, Definition, Bulk, Weight Rotation)

ARob85

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Hey guys! I am new here to the board. I started back working out a couple of weeks ago, and was wanting to get some advice.

I am 5'11", 180lbs.

My current workout is 3 days a week. Bench Press, Butterfly Press, Reverse Butterfly, Lat Pull Down, Shoulder Shrugs, Hammer Curls, Tricep and forearm workouts (I work 'em out I dunno what the workout is called though) Knee Raises, and assorted ab work outs.
On my off days I run/walk.
Sunday I take off.

1) Can you lose weight/gain muscle at the same time?
I am wanting to add some bulk to my chest/shoulders/biceps/triceps. I don't have a lot of fat in those areas, but I don't have a lot of muscle either. I can't go straight into a "cut" routine. I know once I get some bulk it will show, and then I can "cut" it.
I am wanting to lose weight in my waist/gut though. I've got some love handles, and an ever so slight belly. Ideally I am wanting to lose that and work towards a six pack.
For my Bulk I am doing a higher weight with lower reps, and trying to pack on protein and calories. I guess what I am asking is my attempt to bulk up going to defeat my attempt to lose the weight in my midsection?

2) How often should one rotate workouts?
I have been reading on the importance of rotating workouts. Don't walk every day... mix it with hiking/biking/running. Switch weight routines every x weeks. Etc.
How often should one do this?

3) Where can I find some good routines to kinda copy and build my own? I know I need to split my workouts and focus on specific areas rather than just doing my entire upper body in one sitting. What areas should one focus on at the same time?

ARob85 said:
Hey guys! I am new here to the board. I started back working out a couple of weeks ago, and was wanting to get some advice.

I am 5'11", 180lbs.

My current workout is 3 days a week. Bench Press, Butterfly Press, Reverse Butterfly, Lat Pull Down, Shoulder Shrugs, Hammer Curls, Tricep and forearm workouts (I work 'em out I dunno what the workout is called though) Knee Raises, and assorted ab work outs.
On my off days I run/walk.
Sunday I take off.

1) Can you lose weight/gain muscle at the same time?
I am wanting to add some bulk to my chest/shoulders/biceps/triceps. I don't have a lot of fat in those areas, but I don't have a lot of muscle either. I can't go straight into a "cut" routine. I know once I get some bulk it will show, and then I can "cut" it.
I am wanting to lose weight in my waist/gut though. I've got some love handles, and an ever so slight belly. Ideally I am wanting to lose that and work towards a six pack.
For my Bulk I am doing a higher weight with lower reps, and trying to pack on protein and calories. I guess what I am asking is my attempt to bulk up going to defeat my attempt to lose the weight in my midsection?

2) How often should one rotate workouts?
I have been reading on the importance of rotating workouts. Don't walk every day... mix it with hiking/biking/running. Switch weight routines every x weeks. Etc.
How often should one do this?

3) Where can I find some good routines to kinda copy and build my own? I know I need to split my workouts and focus on specific areas rather than just doing my entire upper body in one sitting. What areas should one focus on at the same time?

1) You can lose weight and gain muscle at the same time.

2) How often you rotate a workout depends on the intensity, frequency, and the person doing the workout.

3) It sounds like you're set on doing a BP split. IMO, a GOOD full body routine, push/pull or upper/lower would be a great place to start.

as for your first question yes its possible especially since you are still new to lifting. you're body will be recomping like crazy which is why you shouldn't even be thinking of 'bulking' or 'cutting' yet. just start learning and lifting and building proper lifestyle habits in terms of diet and exercise.

questions 2 and 3 can be answered if you read the stickies at the top of the training forum. there is a lot of go into and much smarter people than me have gone into it with good explanations, so check out those stickies and you'll see what i'm talking about.

1 - As already stated, yes it's possible. However, it is generally only possible as you first begin your resistance training career; it becomes exponentially harder as you advance.

2 - I don't think rotating exercise selection is nearly as important as other training variables, especially volume and intensity. As a beginner, you won't have to rotate much of anything for a little bit because gains will come no matter what, and you want to keep intensity fairly low while you are learning new movements and allowing connective tissues to adapt to heavier training loads. Volume should be low to moderate. Frequency should be high so that you learn the exercises quicker. Check out the stickies with regards to putting together a program most effective at what you are trying to achieve.

3 - I think you should start with a full body program, but again, check out the stickies. Everything is already laid out for you pretty much.

Back