• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

How do boxers train?

mike456

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Do they train low reps for strength, do they do olympic lifts? If anyone has some input on how boxers/professional athletes train please post.

Most videos I see of top boxers weight training is usually light-moderate weight for a good amount of reps. Depending on where they are in their training routine and what weight class and all, but most boxers are attempting to tone their bodies. I used to have a book on weight training specific to boxers but I don't know where the hell it is.

According to Tyson, he did tons of push-ups and dips to keep his hand speed fast.

I am thinking they train for power, exercise like bench throws, jump squats, etc.

Also for example, before Gatti fought last night they showed a mini clip of him in training. He was doing half squats on the smith with 1 plate on each side. And he was doing side-to-side pushups in squares that were taped off on the floor. I also recalle seeing Hopkins doing various exercises including rows with a resistance band. Try a search I'm sure there's routines and tips from good trainers.

since it was before a fight, he was probably warming up, Im sure he does not want to fatigue his muscles before a fight.
DID I misunderstand your post?

mike456 said:
since it was before a fight, he was probably warming up, Im sure he does not want to fatigue his muscles before a fight.
DID I misunderstand your post?

No. It was a video of his training way prior to the fight. I didn't mean it was a tape of him the day of or day before the fight. It was one of those countdown specials.

If you're looking to really get your punching power and speed up, do full contact twists. After 6-10 reps ur punching power and speed will go through the roof, its really an unbelievable exercise. This is literally the best exercise for increasing punch power and speed since 60% of ur punch power comes from ur core while ofcourse the remaining 40% comes from your upperbody strength. I really dont know why boxers dont do these.

This is it http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/clark1_4.jpg Dont underestimate this. Try 6-10 reps with some weight on the end of the barbell ur twisting and you'll want to put this in ur routine.

I know ur all thinking that im only 15 and probably dont know shit but please trust me on this one.

Last edited:
How do they train or how should they train? Two different questions. Lots of coaches train their athletes differently. Many of them perform well in spite of a shitty training program beacuse of good genetics and a high level of sport specific skill.

CowPimp said:
How do they train or how should they train? Two different questions. Lots of coaches train their athletes differently. Many of them perform well in spite of a shitty training program beacuse of good genetics and a high level of sport specific skill.
Ok how should they train, Im am not looking for a routine, just curious:
Do they train low reps for strength?
Explosive movements?
Main exercises?
High reps for muscular endurance?

IML Gear Cream!
mike456 said:
Ok how should they train, Im am not looking for a routine, just curious:
Do they train low reps for strength?
Explosive movements?
Main exercises?
High reps for muscular endurance?

I'm not sure about boxers, but several UFC Fighters train low reps for strength if they have several months between fights. 8-12 weeks out from a fight, they do speed reps with low weight for speed, power, and endurance. They also work on plyometrics for lower body explosiveness.
Their main exercises are squats, deads, bench, and standing military press.

I would imagine fighters do little to zero resistance training during fight prep. Most resistiance training is probably done in their "off time". Maybe a few months out they incorporate some sort of weight training, but closer to the fight it's usually all fight prep and cardio.

The guy that is training me now does calisthenics, sprints, and fast 2 mile runs.

FatCatMC said:
I would imagine fighters do little to zero resistance training during fight prep. Most resistiance training is probably done in their "off time". Maybe a few months out they incorporate some sort of weight training, but closer to the fight it's usually all fight prep and cardio.

They should still implement a maintenance program. Most sports call for resistance training 2 days a week during the season, and 3-4 days a week during the offseason to really take things up a notch.

Are there seasons with boxing? That makes a big difference in terms of what needs to be done with training.

CowPimp said:
They should still implement a maintenance program. Most sports call for resistance training 2 days a week during the season, and 3-4 days a week during the offseason to really take things up a notch.

Are there seasons with boxing? That makes a big difference in terms of what needs to be done with training.

Well "seasons" being time off from fight prep. I have a buddy that is a professional light-heavyweight that only does weight training while not preping for a fight. He has averaged 4-5 fights a year for the last 2 years and takes 4-6 weeks to prep for each fight. Of course he is on the cusp of being a cruiserweight so any "bulking" would not be good for him.

you'd be suprised how little strength has to do with fighting

fUnc17 said:
you'd be suprised how little strength has to do with fighting

Coaches are realizing that strength is good in every single sport, inlcuding golf and marathon running. Increased strength means increased movement efficiency and a higher rate of force development, which are desireable in all sports.

CowPimp said:
Coaches are realizing that strength is good in every single sport, inlcuding golf and marathon running. Increased strength means increased movement efficiency and a higher rate of force development, which are desireable in all sports.

If they don't do much strength training then boxers must be genetice titans because they generally have awesome physiques. Lean and muscular.

Ken Shamrock does his heavy weight training months before a fight and then backs off and starts doing more sparring and mit work. Randy Coure does reps of 50 and he's the best conidioned guy out there, he can go 5 rounds and not get tired.

IML Gear Cream!
911=InsideJob said:
Ken Shamrock does his heavy weight training months before a fight and then backs off and starts doing more sparring and mit work.

Like I said, that's what is generally accepted as the right way to do things when training for sport.

Randy Coure does reps of 50 and he's the best conidioned guy out there, he can go 5 rounds and not get tired.

Local muscular endurance and cardiovascular conditioning are not the same thing.

.... I train in Muay Thai, which uses boxing techniques as well as clinch work, knee's and kicking, my main concern is my stamina, speed and recovery, there's just no point what so ever having BIG muscles that you have to carry around. Like someone said before, you'd be surprised how little strength has to do with boxing. Good technique delivers so much power!!

At the moment I am training for a little more size, but then I've passed the point of competing. But generally I use a moderate weight something I can push out for 12 - 15 reps, I don't go ballistic I pump them out at a good steady pace, keeping a good rhythm, then as soon as I get my breath back, I'm on with the next set....... and another suggestion, concentrate on your core strength

What you don't want to do is start making yourself slow by building too much bulk and not training you muscles for endurance...... you'll end up like the big guy....Bob sapp - I think that's his name?.. he is about 6'6", built like a brick sh*t house and he realise on a jackpot punch to finish it... while in the meantime. for the next two minutes he just gets picked off... sometimes it quite uncomfortable to watch!

'Most' boxing competitions are judged on point scoring, sure it's great to put the other guy down on the canvas.... but if you keep yourself fast, pick the other guy off at will, come out at the start of each round looking fresh and composed, he's gonna start having doubts... and the physiological edge is far more powerful than being the big guy in the ring.

If you want to build big muscles, that's your choice.... but I personally don't think they'll do you much good after the first three minutes.

Search the web and see what comes up.

Remember people, strength and size are not the same thing.

CowPimp said:
Remember people, strength and size are not the same thing.

Well the question was how do they train and not how should they train. Typically boxers rarely touch weights. Punching power has not much to do with physical strength, and a shitload to do with technique.

911 - The Ken Shamrock example is a horrible one.

1. He's a Mixed Martial Artist not a boxer.
2. He's lost 6 of his last 7 fights. I wouldn't want to do anything he's doing.
3. Did you see either of the Ortiz fights? He was winded 2 minutes into round 1 in the first one, and the second one only lasted 1:18.

FatCatMC said:
Well the question was how do they train and not how should they train. Typically boxers rarely touch weights. Punching power has not much to do with physical strength, and a shitload to do with technique.

911 - The Ken Shamrock example is a horrible one.

1. He's a Mixed Martial Artist not a boxer.
2. He's lost 6 of his last 7 fights. I wouldn't want to do anything he's doing.
3. Did you see either of the Ortiz fights? He was winded 2 minutes into round 1 in the first one, and the second one only lasted 1:18.

I would argue that strength is desireable in every sport. List me any reason why it isn't, and I'll give you plenty as to why it is.

CowPimp said:
I would argue that strength is desireable in every sport. List me any reason why it isn't, and I'll give you plenty as to why it is.

Takes away time from training technique which is far more important. Strength is good, the more the better, but using what you got and trying to make yourself more effecient in the ring is more important than trying to increase what you have and not being able to use it once you have it.

fUnc17 said:
Takes away time from training technique which is far more important. Strength is good, the more the better, but using what you got and trying to make yourself more effecient in the ring is more important than trying to increase what you have and not being able to use it once you have it.

A strength training program could be put together to take less than 4 hours a week. I don't see how that would take away from all other forms of training in the slightest bit.

But the muay thai guy made a VERY good point about the scoring system. You really don't have to be strong enough to knock everybody out to win. But if I was to take boxing lessons I would definitely still strength train for all the benefits it has to offer. I mean, why not??

I think the thread starter may have started this thread in regards to the way boxers LOOK more than how strong they are and what not...

"man that boxer looks great, I wonder how he trains...I wonder if I could do that too"

CowPimp said:

I'm not arguing, I'm stating a fact. They don't do much lifting. Should they? I don't know, you're the "expert".

PWGriffin said:
A strength training program could be put together to take less than 4 hours a week. I don't see how that would take away from all other forms of training in the slightest bit.

But the muay thai guy made a VERY good point about the scoring system. You really don't have to be strong enough to knock everybody out to win. But if I was to take boxing lessons I would definitely still strength train for all the benefits it has to offer. I mean, why not??

I think the thread starter may have started this thread in regards to the way boxers LOOK more than how strong they are and what not...

"man that boxer looks great, I wonder how he trains...I wonder if I could do that too"
No I don't give a shit how they look, I still would like to know what training do they do other than skill training if any. I care aboiut athletic performance not looks.

911=InsideJob said:
According to Tyson, he did tons of push-ups and dips to keep his hand speed fast.
And tons of steroids

Back