• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

High & Low Reps & Weights

Josh

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Hi all,

I wanna ask about reps and weights. When I first started lifting weights, I was told that some exercises are good with high weights + low reps (work with as much weight as possible with a few reps only per set), while other exercises are good with moderate weights + high reps (work with maybe 60-70% of max weight but with many reps per set). And then as I read more, I got advise that in order to grow I need to always work with as much weight as possible + low reps for all exercises.

So my questions:
1. Is there any specific purpose to do high weight + low reps and moderate weight = high reps? Does each of these scheme serve different purpose/goals on the muscles worked on?

2. Are there muscles which are best worked on with one scheme and not the other (because probably doing it with one scheme may easily cause injury, etc)? Or is it goal depended (for instance, if wanna get big must always use one scheme instead of the other on all exercises, etc)?

3. Is it beneficial to cyle between these 2 schemes (a few weeks doing high weight + low reps, the next few weeks doing low weight + high reps, so on)?

-- Josh

It's due to the different muscle fibres.

Do both high and low reps for exercises. it works a charm.

You can cycle rep ranges, but if you mix them then you won't need to.

As a basic rule, keep the majority of your sets in the 7-12 rep range. This is generally the best range for growth. However, it is still beneficial to work in a lower and higher rep range like TCD said. This way you will stimulate all muscle fiber types. You can work on one rep scheme each week...like...

week 1...7-12
week 2...7-12
week 3...4-6
week 4...12-20
repeat...

or, you can use different ranges within the same workout...like...

1) bench press...3 x 4-6
2) incline press...2 x 7-12
3) incline flye...2 x 7-12
4) dips...1-2 x 12-20

Both ways can work. You must find out for yourself what you prefer.

I do not give any routine because each body is diffrent. Find out at what level you are and then you suit a routine that you will be able to finish. Newbies must stay with basic movements to create a foundation. 3 sets 8-10 reps per large bodyparts and 2 sets 8-10 reps for small bodyparts. Cardio should be conducted on your off days. Train not more than one hour and not more than four days a week.

I kinda do gopro's second regime, but i never surpass 12 reps unless i'm doing calves, maybe abs and 20 rep squats if i do them.

I actually do about 2 sets an exercise. More times than not i'll do 4-6 reps for the first set then the second set i'll drop weight and go for 10-12 reps.

You'll also find as your training age increases that you'll respond to a certain rep range more than the others. This of course will vary from muscle to muscle.

Back