• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Muay Thai Kids

bigss75

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
I was watching the fight network and these 12 year old fight and they have been training since they are nine. You think you would here alot about them in Pride or UFC but the only good Muay Thai guy I heard of is Kit Cope and he hasnt done great. Is it just because they have no ground game or they have too much respect for the sport in Thailand.

Lots of well known fighters employ Muay Thai. At least parts of it.

my personal opinion is that muay thai sucks in mma. No ground/grappling skills, they get outboxed by a conventional boxer. they are only good against their own kind

Kit Cope fights in the UFC. I saw him on MTV True Life: I'm a Muy Thai fighter. He has some lethal strikes but no ground game. Kenny Florian tapped him quick.

um almost every fighter in the ufc does muay thia everytime you see a clinch then knees thats muay tia everytime you see leg kicks thats muay thia they also use their hands like an normal boxer so there is not much difference their.

fUnc17 said:
my personal opinion is that muay thai sucks in mma. No ground/grappling skills, they get outboxed by a conventional boxer. they are only good against their own kind

Muay Thai is not MMA, Muay Thai is Muay Thai. If you want grappling skills then you have to add that in, duh?

Outboxed by conventional boxers? Then you are watching low class Muay Thai athletes. A knee to the face of a western boxer in a headclinch is going to be more effective than a western boxers attempt at retaliation of a rib punch. Western boxing greatly influenced Muay Thai from the 70s and beyond, it is basically western influenced boxing + much more. Western boxers are lesser because they refuse to use all the tools they were born with.

Mudge said:
Muay Thai is not MMA, Muay Thai is Muay Thai. If you want grappling skills then you have to add that in, duh?

Outboxed by conventional boxers? Then you are watching low class Muay Thai athletes. A knee to the face of a western boxer in a headclinch is going to be more effective than a western boxers attempt at retaliation of a rib punch. Western boxing greatly influenced Muay Thai from the 70s and beyond, it is basically western influenced boxing + much more. Western boxers are lesser because they refuse to use all the tools they were born with.

I think he means that purely Muy Thai as a discipline doesn't fare well in the MMA world. Most stand up guys will go out and get some sort of JJ training but there are still some fighters who go out with the intentions of knocking their opponent out without going to the ground.

Mudge said:

mudge, i am well aware muay thai is not MMA. I train BJJ, and several of my friends train muay thai (some have quit and joined me in BJJ). Even they say against a ground and pound guy with half decent ground skills, they will lose almost everytime. And in MMA, i dont recall a single fighter in pride or ufc that relies solely on their boxing skills, they have some kind of ground game, with the exception of muay thai fighters.

I would imagine that striclty striking discipline's would lose to grappling discipline a good % of the time if that's what your getting at. But a MMA fighter that cross trains with Muay Thai as his striking wouldn't be at a disadvantage to someone who uses karate, tae kwan do, or boxing as their striking. I think thats what MMA is all about, being prepared for any style fighter. It would seem that if any one style of fighting stands out against the others its BJJ, but you never know what happens when you get in the ring or octagon.

MMA means mixed, which. instantly disqualifies anyone using only one art.

Apples does not commpare to apples, oranges, and pears all in the same basket

IML Gear Cream!
mudge, i am well aware muay thai is not MMA. I train BJJ, and several of my friends train muay thai (some have quit and joined me in BJJ). Even they say against a ground and pound guy with half decent ground skills, they will lose almost everytime. And in MMA, i dont recall a single fighter in pride or ufc that relies solely on their boxing skills, they have some kind of ground game, with the exception of muay thai fighters.
You ever hear of Bob Sapp. He fights in Pride and only boxes.

Back