• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

China kills 50,000 dogs

min0 lee

Elite Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
SHANGHAI - China slaughtered 50,000 dogs in a government-ordered crackdown after three people died of rabies, sparking unusually pointed criticism in state media yesterday and an outcry from animal rights activists.
The five-day slaughter in Mouding County in Yunnan province in southwestern China ended Sunday and spared only military guard dogs and police canine units, state media reported. Dogs being walked were seized from their owners and beaten to death on the spot, the Shanghai Daily newspaper reported.

Are they stupid or what. :mad:

Where are you from?

I like eating at the china buffet. The dog is to kill for...:p

That's messed up. I would have gone to jail that day...

People might as well be living in caves. Its crazy to think how much influence mass hysteria has, and how the uninformed public controls everything. 3 people die of rabies, and 50,000 dogs are killed...

More Detailed

50,000 dogs killed in China
Aug. 1, 2006. 02:03 PM
ASSOCIATED PRESS

SHANGHAI ??? The slaughter of a reported 50,000 dogs in an anti-rabies crackdown in southwestern China sparked unusually pointed criticism in state media on Tuesday, along with calls for a boycott of Chinese products from an animal rights group.

Health experts, meanwhile, said the brutal policy underscores deep weaknesses in China's health care system, which sees more than 2,000 human deaths from rabies each year.

The five-day massacre in Yunnan province's Mouding county that ended Sunday spared only military guard dogs and police canine units, state media reported.

Dogs being walked were taken from their owners and beaten to death on the spot, the Shanghai Daily newspaper reported. Led by the county police chief, other killing teams entered villages at night creating noise to get dogs barking, then homed in on their prey, the reports said.

Owners were offered 70 cents Cdn per animal to kill their own dogs before the teams were sent in, they said.

The slaughter was ordered after about 360 of the county's 200,000 residents suffered dog bites this year, with three people reportedly dying of rabies, including a four-year-old girl.

"With the aim to keep this horrible disease from people, we decided to kill the dogs," Li Haibo, a spokesman for the county government, was quoted as saying by the official Xinhua News Agency.

Calls to county government offices rang unanswered on Tuesday. Located in mountains about 2,000 kilometres southwest of Shanghai, Mouding is famed for its numerous Buddhist shrines.

The official newspaper Legal Daily blasted the killings as an ``extraordinarily crude, cold-blooded and lazy way for the government to deal with epidemic disease."

"Wiping out the dogs shows these government officials didn't do their jobs right in protecting people from rabies in the first place," the newspaper, published by the central government's Politics and Law Committee, said in an editorial in its online edition.

In an editorial, Xinhua said the killings wouldn't have been necessary if the local government had been more attentive, but called the slaughter "the only way out of a bad situation."

"If they'd discovered this earlier, they could have vaccinated the dogs and . . . controlled the outbreak," the editorial said.

Meanwhile, animal rights group People For the Ethical Treatment of Animals, had cancelled all orders of merchandise it sold that was made in China.

"We are urging everyone to actively boycott ??? not a word we use lightly ??? anything from China given the bludgeoning killing of thousands of dogs" and examples of cruelty toward animals, said president Ingrid Newkirk, in a statement issued to the media.

Will Wright, at PETA's European office in London, said the orders were worth about $340,000 Cdn.

"We believe other groups will join us in expressing outrage over the blatant cruelty to animals the world is witnessing," Wright said.

Unlike in the West, where dogs have long been cherished as companions or helpmates, dogs have rarely had an easy time in China. Dog meat is eaten throughout the country, revered as a tonic in winter and a restorer of virility in men.

Following the communist seizure of power in 1949, dog ownership was condemned as a bourgeois affection and canines were hunted as pests. Attitudes have softened in recent years, although urban Chinese are still subject to strict rules on the size of pets they can keep and must pay steep registration fees.

Increased rates of dog ownership have been tied to a major rise in the number of rabies cases in recent years, with 2,651 reported deaths from the disease in 2004, the last year for which data was available, according to the Chinese Centre for Disease Control and Prevention.

About 70 per cent of rural households keep dogs, the centre said, although rates of rabies vaccinations remain extremely low at only about three per cent.

Access to appropriate rabies treatment is also highly limited, especially in the countryside, said Dr. Francette Dusan, a World Health Organization expert on diseases passed from animals to people.

Effective rabies control requires coordinated efforts between human health, animal health and municipal agencies and authorities, Dusan said.

"This has not been pursued adequately to date in China, with most control efforts consisting of purely reactive dog culls," she said.

IML Gear Cream!
morons

why dogs? What about all the wild animals that live out there? I'd fly over china and nuke their asses for their pure stupidity.

shiznit2169 said:
morons

why dogs? What about all the wild animals that live out there? I'd fly over china and nuke their asses for their pure stupidity.

http://www.peta.org

Vieope said:
Witmaster, it is just the beginning.
Oh shut it, fur-ball :)

Shit! My dog was vacationing there...no wonder I haven't heard from him. :(

this story makes me feel nauseous. their fur farms are hideously inhumane too. there are no regulations at all. there is footage of live animals lifting their heads up looking at the cameraman after their skin has been completely removed.

some humans do deserve to die agonizing deaths.

fufu said:
Shit! My dog was vacationing there...no wonder I haven't heard from him. :(
A cat that has a dog for a pet. I would watch that show.

I think what they did was horrific, I understand that they want to protect people from rabies, but beating people's dogs to death while they are walking them is just sick. Why not just test the dogs for rabies, if they are infected put them down in a humane way.

IML Gear Cream!
Robert DiMaggio said:
I think what they did was horrific, I understand that they want to protect people from rabies, but beating people's dogs to death while they are walking them is just sick. Why not just test the dogs for rabies, if they are infected put them down in a humane way.
Testing for rabies is pretty intense. Not cheap. It involves a brain tissue sample from the suspect animal and an observation period of around 10 days.

That x 50,000 animals is a bit overwhelming.

Non the less, I vote we invade China and free the oppressed puppies :)

Witmaster said:
Testing for rabies is pretty intense. Not cheap. It involves a brain tissue sample from the suspect animal and an observation period of around 10 days.

That x 50,000 animals is a bit overwhelming.

oh, I did not know that, they still could have done it humanley.

could you imagine walking your dog (that you care for and love) and have someone come up and beat it to death right in front of you? that is just sick and I would beat the shit out of them, I am sure they would have shot me, but I just could not allow such a thing without a reaction.

Dog=Beef
Cat=Chicken
Rat=Pork

So I guess there will be a shortage of Szechuan steak for a while. Oh well, I am a Teriyaki Chicken man myself.

Robert DiMaggio said:
oh, I did not know that, they still could have done it humanley.

could you imagine walking your dog (that you care for and love) and have someone come up and beat it to death right in front of you? that is just sick and I would beat the shit out of them, I am sure they would have shot me, but I just could not allow such a thing without a reaction.
I feel exactly the same way. It's incomprehensible to most of us. I suppose this is a good illustration of the freedom and liberty we enjoy and how oppressed some other cultures and countries can be.

Witmaster said:

If there is 2 things I learned in life, it's 1) If it smells like provolone, don't eat it 2) Never start a land war in China

It is very messed up that they killed the house dogs, but I could understand killing wandering strays. If you've ever been to China or Taiwan you may understand. Some of the stray dogs are Resident Evil dog looking, with bones and meat sticking out. There are a lot of stray dogs running about. And yes, as Witmaster said, it would require a great deal of resources to treat 50,000 dogs for rabies or possible rabies and to put them down "humanely." But what they did wasn't right.

shiznit2169 said:
I'd fly over china and nuke their asses for their pure stupidity.
Now that, is stupid. :finger:

I wonder how many cows the US kills every year? Must be a lot since 1/4 of the population is starting to look like one.

Back