• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Weight training & Jiu Jitsu - Training like an Athlete

fUnc17

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Ok. Almost entirely over my back problem. Which is great news (and a confidence booster)

Anyway, the reason I initially had a problem to begin with, was the way I was training (in addition to my participation in jiu jitsu) Basically an overuse injury.

If im going to train in BJJ, I want to protect myself from injury, but more importantly train the way your supposed to be training for a sport. Like an athlete.

I came up with an outline of what I think is right, although it is probably in need of a lot of work. It is the result of some research I did while rehabbing my back.

This is what I came up with:

FOAM ROLL
KETTLEBELL SWINGS TO WARMUP & GET HEART RATE GOING

(DYNAMIC)
KNEE TO CHEST PSOAS & PIRIFORMIS STRETCH
BEAR CRAWLS
BRIDGES
WALKING HIGH KNEES
SHOULDER DISLOCATIONS

(BALANCE)
WALK HEEL TO TOE
STAND ONE FOOTED
STAND UP AND SIT DOWN WITHOUT USING HANDS
PISTOLS

(PLYOS)
SQUAT JUMPS
JUMP TO BOX
LATERAL JUMP TO BOX

WEIGHT TRAIN

STATIC STRETCH

The weight training program looks like this:

UPPER (DAY1)
OH PRESS 4x6 @ 8RM (SWITCH WITH BP)
BB ROWS 3X8-12
BENCH PRESS 3x12 @15RM (SWITCH WITH OH PRESS)
WEIGHTED CHINS 20 TOTAL
WEIGHTED DIPS 3x8-12
CABLE ROWS 3X8-12

CORE - PRONE BRIDGE, LATERAL BRIDGE, SUPINE BRIDGE, RUSSIAN TWISTS, SUPERMANS

LOWER (DAY2)
1 LEG KB RDL 4x6 @ 8RM
BACK SQ 8x3 @ 5RM, 4X6 @ 8RM, OR 3X12 @ 15RM
BULG SQ 3x8-12
HIGH STEP UPS 3X8-12
LUNGES 3X8-12
REVERSE HYPERS 3X8-12

CORE - PRONE BRIDGE, LATERAL BRIDGE, SUPINE BRIDGE, RUSSIAN TWISTS, SUPERMANS

POWER (DAY3) KETTLEBELLS
DARC SWINGS
C & J
SNATCH & OH SQ
CLAP PUSHUPS
PULLUPS

I'm pretty sure I'm leaving one or more systems out. Hopefully someone can help me out with this, I'd greatly appreciate it. I definately don't want to get hurt again.

FYI, Jiu jitsu is on SUNDAY, MONDAY, and WEDNESDAY. Curious as to where I'd put my training days, or if it even matters (certain it does..)

P.S. - I am in no rush, I am still resting for the most part, I would just like this to be prepared for when I am ready to weight train again (hopefully sometime this coming week)

it isn't bad.

Things I would do:

1) I would do some light stretching for whatever is tight just following the foam roll. This is not agressive static stretching like you would do after the workout (sometimes people miss understand me when I say I stretch in my warm up). This is just to get loose and loosen up the joints. Holding for an easy 3-5 count and taking the stretch deeper of 2-3 reps. Nothing to agressive. 3D stretching would be a good idea too.

2) I would NOT do all three of those plyo's in my workout. I would pick one. and have one on each day. Upper body day you might want something like med. ball chest passes against a brick wall or med. ball rotational pass (onece your back feels better). Push Jerks work well also.

3) I would drop some of the training volume and instead incorporate an energy system development circuit at the end of the workout. This can be something like a med. ball circuit, a calliistenics circuit or a kettle bell circuit. Use this to raise your work capacity. You might want to do it specific to the rounds that are in Jiu-Jitsu (if there are any). For example, 3min of work, 30sec of rest, etc...

4) you have lots of pressing. I might drop one of those exercises (in favor of an explosive plyo-lift at the begning of the exercise, like I listed eariler). You might want to do some curls and triceps (12-15 reps) to help promote some tendon strength as well.

Cool, okay.

I agree about the stretching, I will do that.

I will drop bench press, do the med ball passes against wall on upper day, and on lower do squat jumps as my plyo. Add some curls and skullcrushers on upper day as well.

As far as the circuit training to raise work capacity, I think I will do that on day 3 at the end instead of on upper and lower (seems as though I have a fair amount of volume already, especially on lower day)

I think I will do only 2 sets of lunges and 2 sets of step ups. Between the 1 leg RDL's, back squats, and bulg squats that is a shit load of lower body work.

What about when I train? Does it make a difference if I weight train the same day I practice jiu jitsu? I was thinking going MON, WED, FRI. (Jiu jitsu is SUN, MON, WED)

P.S. - Thank you :thumb:

Cool, okay.

I agree about the stretching, I will do that.

I will drop bench press, do the med ball passes against wall on upper day, and on lower do squat jumps as my plyo. Add some curls and skullcrushers on upper day as well.

As far as the circuit training to raise work capacity, I think I will do that on day 3 at the end instead of on upper and lower (seems as though I have a fair amount of volume already, especially on lower day)

I think I will do only 2 sets of lunges and 2 sets of step ups. Between the 1 leg RDL's, back squats, and bulg squats that is a shit load of lower body work.

What about when I train? Does it make a difference if I weight train the same day I practice jiu jitsu? I was thinking going MON, WED, FRI. (Jiu jitsu is SUN, MON, WED)

P.S. - Thank you :thumb:

I might go:

sun- jiu-jitsu
mon- AM- upper. PM-jiu-jitsu
tues- off
wed- jiu-jitsu
fri- lower body
sat- energy sytem develpment
sun- off

I might go:

sun- jiu-jitsu
tues- off
wed- jiu-jitsu
fri- lower body
sun- off

2 Sunday's? I wish :laugh:

sun- jiu-jitsu
tues- off
wed- jiu-jitsu
thu- off
fri- lower body

Thanks P, i'll make sure to triangle someone for you :2punch:

2 Sunday's? I wish :laugh:

sun- jiu-jitsu
tues- off
wed- jiu-jitsu
thu- off
fri- lower body

Thanks P, i'll make sure to triangle someone for you :2punch:

oh woops. I forgot about the sunday jiu-jitsu. You can't do that program, you will be training 4 days straight (fri-mon) and twice on tues!!

How about:

sun- jiu-jitsu
mon- AM- upper/PM- jiu-jitsu
tues- off
wed- jiu-jitsu
thurs- lower body
fri- energy system development
sat- off

You can't do jiu jitsu the day before your workout. At least I can't.

I completely and totally exert myself in JJ, and have tried lifting the next day with a 10% strength reduction. Instead, do JJ the day AFTER you lift.

You can't do jiu jitsu the day before your workout. At least I can't.

I completely and totally exert myself in JJ, and have tried lifting the next day with a 10% strength reduction. Instead, do JJ the day AFTER you lift.

I've worked out on days i've had BJJ. Indeed im spent as well after rolling HARD, but most of the time we just dont roll hard (unless its against some tool trying to prove himself). To me, its just training, i practice my technique, I really dont use much strength if at all, and if i get caught, i tap early. Thats it.

I start muay thai soon too... but it will only be one day a week to start and I will drop a day of BJJ for it.

To combat all the activity in my life, I eat ALOT of carbohydrates. I'm talking over 50% of my diet is carbs. Protein around 35%. Eat alot, burn alot

108-Leaping-Cats.jpg

Anyways, I'll have to roll against you at Grappler's Quest sometime.

I'd make sure you:
-use different variations on the chins/dips with grips and the like;
-include some specific grip training; and
-throw in some intensity-varied skipping based on the fight length, similar to what P suggested with the circuits. This will improve your fight-specific fitness and ensure you can maintain a strong enough grip for the full match.

In judo we also used to do a lot of resistance training with bands in the same move/motion as you would do in the throw. It always felt awkward - but I know a few coaches who always swore by it. It'd be worth a shot..erm well maybe...sorta kinda...ok..maybe not - we always did look like total wankers doing it anyway and I never noticed much benefit.

I'd make sure you:
-use different variations on the chins/dips with grips and the like;
-include some specific grip training; and
-throw in some intensity-varied skipping based on the fight length, similar to what P suggested with the circuits. This will improve your fight-specific fitness and ensure you can maintain a strong enough grip for the full match.

In judo we also used to do a lot of resistance training with bands in the same move/motion as you would do in the throw. It always felt awkward - but I know a few coaches who always swore by it. It'd be worth a shot..erm well maybe...sorta kinda...ok..maybe not - we always did look like total wankers doing it anyway and I never noticed much benefit.

thanks, i will definately put some additional grip work in there. (especially since im not going to be deadlifting for now)

HAHA @ the judo comment... my sensei also trains in judo, we have those resistance bands you speak of, training for throws on the dummy... they are fun, and yes we look like morons as well lol...

you do a sort of hammer curl with the hand thats on the lapel, and check the time with the hand thats gripping the elbow of the gi right? (even sounds retarded haha)

^ yup. that's the stuff. It's all meant to "copy" the actual movement etc etc....it's just damn awkward feeling and stupid looking.

The grip work is where most people lose matches though. Very important.

My deadlift 1RM should be 500+ by the end of the year. Hopefully that means I have a good grip--without straps that is.

I have a stupid question for those of you in JJ. I don't suppose it's possible to receive much benefit from training if you're only available in the summer and during breaks from school, is it? I would absolutely love to try JJ, but I'm taking seven classes right now and I also lift. Needless to say, I can't make any extra time for training sessions during the school year. Is it worthless to do for just a few months out of the year? I'm guessing it is, but you never know 'til you ask.

I have a stupid question for those of you in JJ. I don't suppose it's possible to receive much benefit from training if you're only available in the summer and during breaks from school, is it? I would absolutely love to try JJ, but I'm taking seven classes right now and I also lift. Needless to say, I can't make any extra time for training sessions during the school year. Is it worthless to do for just a few months out of the year? I'm guessing it is, but you never know 'til you ask.

Definitely not worthless. You can learn so much just from one lesson.

Not worthless at all. Go for a month and you'll get addicted to it, and you'll end up making room for it. If not, you'll learn alot in a short amount of time, just prepared to get beat up a little bit. :D

I work part time, also am In college, I lift and find room to do BJJ 3x a week... and I know people with much more hectic schedules that do it as well. You have plenty of room for it.

I'm just thinking that I'll get out of practice and forget what I've learned by the next time I could go, that's all.

I'm completely at peace with the fact that I will be getting owned in sparring and whatnot for a very long time. Each time that happens, however, I will hopefully have learned something, which is all that really matters. Maybe I can find somewhere close that I can go to once a week or something. Organic chemistry is really the only difficult class I have right now and the only one I need to study for, but the other ones still take up quite a bit of time with homework and miscellaneous assignment. Too bad there's no way to know which type of martial art you would have a natural aptitude for before you try it. I'm pretty sure JJ is what I'm looking for, but I would have to try it to see. In addition, most good institutions are probably not chains, but if you know of any, please share them. It may be a little more difficult than I would like to find a good place to go.

I'm thinking about trying some BJJ too. I think that would be cool 1-2x a week. Right now I don't really have to loot for it, but thinks have been better financially. Credit card almost paid off and such. When things smooth out there I might try it. I have some friends that have taken classes and seemed to have a lot of fun.

IML Gear Cream!
Heh, silly me. I forgot about the money. Namely the fact that I lack it in sufficient quantities.

Back