• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Questing About Breathing

911=InsideJob

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Do any of you know if it makes a difference if you try to match your breathing with your lifting? For instance breathing out while pushing. Does it make a difference?

Primary reason is to avoid overpressuring the cardiovascular system.

Exception in the pattern is during very heavy bench multiple lifts (doubles/triples).

This was actually studied before and it was determined that the subjects had a harder time controlling the movement when they were told when to breathe (ie, out on the concentric, in on the eccentric). It had something to do with messing up motor pathways, or motor learning as they were trying to coordinate movement and think about respiratory function. The most important that you do breathe! Exception being max. effort lifts, you might want to try the valsavla manuever (breathing against a closed glotis) as a means to increase intraabdominal pressure.

The Valsalva manuver makes for some pretty funny faces. Whenever I deadlift my face turns sunburn red, veins start popping out of my neck, and I look like someone is spooning out my intenstines.

The Valsalva manuver makes for some pretty funny faces. Whenever I deadlift my face turns sunburn red, veins start popping out of my neck, and I look like someone is spooning out my intenstines.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Deadlifts and bentover barbell rows make me look like I'm taking a shit when I had bricks for breakfast. I know the feeling, it's nasty when you catch a glimpse of yourself in the mirror, inbetween the groaning and hissing.

Anyway I've always been breathing on the rhythm of my lift... For example: out on the pushing (eccentric?) part of the bench and in on the lowering (concentric?) part of the bench. Reversed with rows. I've tried all sorts of breathing but I didn't really notice anything different, and rhythmic breathing at least garantees that you breathe. Hence I breathe on the rhythm of my lift.
I'll try something different again tomorrow. See if it helps.

Are those studies reliable P?

You have you movements mixed up......

concentric is pushing in the bench press (pulling in the row)
eccentric is lowering in the bench press and lowering in the row

out on the push and in on the eccentric is fine. that is the way most people do it naturally. so, i wouldn't worry about it. usually i breathe in before the eccentric and then hold it until i get to through the sticking point on the concentric, at which point i expel air.

either way, the most important thing is to make sure you are breathing.

When the force is pushing I breathe out on the push and in on the negative.

I find it awkward breathing out when the force is on the pull, but tend to do it anyway.

I find breathing out helps get past sticking points in for example benching.
When the bar stops going up, keeping the breath flowing outward helps maintain my force.

Back