• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

weak posterior chain?

wilwn

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
i was trying to teach my workout partner to dead and do bent rows, but he couldn't hold proper form. for deads, it was hard for him to sit back and keep his lower back arched. also had a tendency to bend knees more than he should. as for bent rows, he said it was hard to maintain an arched lower back.

i'm guessing he has weak glutes and a weak lower back. what kind of exercises should he do to address these issues?

Could be that and/or tight hammies/abdominals as well.

Were you using uber light weight just to show him the form and let him feel it??

exercise suggestions?

My guess is a weak posterior chain just because so many people seem to lack strength back there, but you should see if tight hammies are an issue as well.

If it is a weak p-chain, then just do lower body pulling movements to strengthen it start with very light weights. Glute bridge and birddog variations are great too if you need to start out really rudimentary. Hyperextensions, done properly, are a great way to start. These can be progressed to a unilateral movement too once adding more weight isn't practical. Once you build a bit of a foundation there, you could go ahead and start including some deadlifting variations and go from there.

Plank variations are also good for core strength if the rectus abdominus is exhibiting synergistic dominance, which could make it tight as Dale mentioned. PNF/rotational exercise also aid in this regard.

IML Gear Cream!
Plank variations are also good for core strength if the rectus abdominus is exhibiting synergistic dominance, which could make it tight as Dale mentioned. PNF/rotational exercise also aid in this regard.

Aside from VERY overweight individuals...if someone "feels" a plank way more in their back, does this imply synergistic dominance?? I have thought this, but maybe I'm way off.

Aside from VERY overweight individuals...if someone "feels" a plank way more in their back, does this imply synergistic dominance?? I have thought this, but maybe I'm way off.

it could imply that they have a weak back and that it fatigues more rapidly.

when i have that happen, i have them cut down the time they are holding the plank.

So, instead of a 20sec. plank. I may have them hold for 5sec, rest for 10sec, hold for 5, rest for 10, etc....for about 5 sets. From there, you can try and decrease the rest or increase the hold each week and slowly work them back up to better strength.

If it is hurting them still, after you drop to 5sec, then don't do it. if it hurts stop. regress to somethign less.....work on just doing some drawing in exercises. Chances are they need to really work on the basics.

we did some reverse hypers and some GHRs. is that a good start?

we did some reverse hypers and some GHRs. is that a good start?

Reverse Hypers are good for him, but I dont think you should have him do GHRs, he needs to stretch his hammies not strengthen them, have him stretch his abs and hammies

GHR's are fine, they will activate his glutes and the rest of his P chain. they are weak anyway. but stretching should not be neglected, it should be prioritized

Reverse Hypers are good for him, but I dont think you should have him do GHRs, he needs to stretch his hammies not strengthen them, have him stretch his abs and hammies

Sometimes you can do both. I get a great ham stretch on SLDL's and chest stretch with flies...

i noticed that he had a tendency to bend forward while doing squats and being unable to hit parallel. what's the likely culprit?

i noticed that he had a tendency to bend forward while doing squats and being unable to hit parallel. what's the likely culprit?

Is he coming off of his heels and pushing off the balls of his feet??

Could be a weak core, he might not be trying hard to stay upright either....He could have poor hip flexibility/ankle mobility and is bending over to "get lower".

yea I have the same problem, could be weak core/tight hip flexors/weak glutes, could be lots of things, If you could let him see a good Trainer, so he can see wich muscles he needs to stretch/strengthen. Does he have any posture problems, like an anterior tilt?

Is he coming off of his heels and pushing off the balls of his feet??

Could be a weak core, he might not be trying hard to stay upright either....He could have poor hip flexibility/ankle mobility and is bending over to "get lower".
I had a similar experience with leaning forward to get lower. I have done three things to help me keep my upper torso more upright. 1) I squat between my legs (not folding up like a hinge); 2) concentrating on keeping all the wt on my heels and off the balls of my feet; and 3) warmup/stretching my calfs before I squat. I found my self going lower without feeling near as much strain in my lower back.

Back