• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

A great resignation letter from a great coach

P-funk

Patrick
Elite Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Jim Wendler Quit his Coaching Job at Univ. of Kentucky.

Check out his resignation letter. It is a shame that people are so stupid and he had to quit for these reasons:

Letter of Resignation
By Jim Wendler
For www.EliteFTS.com

Dear Athletic Director,

This letter is to inform you that I am resigning from my position as head strength and conditioning coach. I enjoyed my time while at the university and feel grateful for the knowledge and friendships that I have gained. I feel I owe it to you to offer an explanation as to why I have made this decision.

I began my job at the university with a tremendous challenge. The coach before me did not have the attention to detail that I have. In fact, there was no attention to detail. The workouts were not planned, and the athletes had awful form on the exercises. They had terrific attitudes and determination but have been completely misguided. It???s a shame, really. I look at these seniors and wonder what could have happened to them if they were given some sort of proper guidance in the weight room. I do not blame them. I blame the coach.

The athletes believed that what they were getting was a top-notch education, both in the classroom and on the playing field. I cannot attest to the classroom but can assure you that they were getting cheated in the weight room. Progressing an athlete when he is not ready, using advanced modalities on beginning athletes, and never COACHING is being cheated. That is a fact.

Upon coming here, I was appalled, but I had a positive attitude. When I began working with the football team, they were very responsive to my coaching. Sure, they had to leave the ego at the door and take weight off of the bar. But they were doing it right. I began a beginner program and started coaching and teaching. Today???s athlete wants to know the ???why??? of what they are doing, and I explained to them how important it was for them to perform the exercises correctly. If you wish to know why please ask them. They are as informed as anyone in the field.

I thought that many of the athletes would rebel against taking weight off the bar, but soon the desire to do things correctly and then add weight began to take shape. The athletes took pride in a good squat and a good bench press. The kids quickly began policing themselves and would coach each other up. Not parallel? NO LIFT! Butt off the bench? NO LIFT. It became a sense of pride with the kids and their attitude was tremendous. You were happy, injuries were down, and the sense of camaraderie built in the weight room was something that this university had never seen.

But then it all ended. I call it the Quest for Numbers and the ridiculous standards that seem to be set all over the country. There are reports of colleges sporting 40???50 football players benching 400 lbs plus and squatting 700 lbs plus. On one team! Either they have the biggest freaks of nature or their lifting is suspect. Being in the weight room almost my entire life, I would side with the latter. These numbers are being inflated by strength coaches who are either downright lying or suspect lifting. I have even heard of coaches instructing the spotters (three of them) to keep their hands on the bar at all times and to ???assist??? the lifter. For a bench press, this equates to one person benching and three people deadlifting. Not only does this skew the numbers, but it no longer can be termed a bench press! The same goes for the squat.

Then there were the comparisons that you and your coaching staff have made to our team. I have told you numerous times the differences between what ???they??? are doing and what we are doing. You ask me all the time why our numbers don???t add up to other programs. I have given you the same response and have been patient and explained it to you. But it always comes back to the numbers. You want an army of 700 lbs squatters yet you recruit a class of 18-year-old football players. There is a big difference between the two.

You are always comparing our numbers to other schools, but what you fail to see is the progress we have made. Many of the players could barely squat 225 lbs when they came here. A 455 lbs squat after three years is commendable. They have made progress and are doing it the correct way. It???s not a 700 lbs squat, but it is progress. If you want a bigger squat, start recruiting guys that can squat 500 lbs with perfect form as freshman. Just a note???they are hard to find.

I am not about to sacrifice my integrity and the safety of our athletes for a number. If you are willing to look a parent in the eye and tell them that their kid???s health and performance is secondary to your quest for a number, then I can live with that. What I can???t live with is being part of a staff that believes this to be true. So after defending my stance for so long, and it falling on deaf ears, I have chosen to resign.

Thank you for allowing me to be part of the university and the athletes??? lives. I wish you continued success in the future.

Sincerely,

Every damn strength coach who is frustrated by the fact that the profession has become a game of numbers rather than a continued quest for improvement and excellence.

just...

wow.

What a guy.

yea, that is what I though!

I mean, just a totally professional coach and I loved reading it and knowing that he believes in proper coaching of the lifts and proper progression and implementation of a program.

It is awesome to know that there are people out there that believe these things are the most important part of a program.

yea, that is what I though!

I mean, just a totally professional coach and I loved reading it and knowing that he believes in proper coaching of the lifts and proper progression and implementation of a program.

It is awesome to know that there are people out there that believe these things are the most important part of a program.

I mean, that's the only way to train athletes right??

My old boss said one time that he could train athletes...I was like "whatever, I myself wouldn't know where to start." Take away proper progression and coaching of lifts and a solid program....yeah I think I could whip somethin up, and I could even smudge my athletes numbers a little to make myself look good!!

I believe that shit about other coaches lying about their athletes numbers...Just look at how many average joes' lie about their lifts *cough* kenwood....or compromise form or ROM to move more weight...truly sad that professional coaches would stoop so low.

It's too bad our society has absolutely no regard for it's children. From the of dumb shit parents with average kids....pushing them to play college and pro sports ( and they are not even good enough to start in high school ), to these loser parents pushing their kids in the world of hollywood or music ( 12 year olds whored out for money and fame) .....totally pathetic.

agreed. pimping your kids at a lottery chance.

At least theres somebody out there who wants to things right. I hope he finds somewhere that will appreciate him. He sounds like a top guy.

It's too bad our society has absolutely no regard for it's children. From the of dumb shit parents with average kids....pushing them to play college and pro sports ( and they are not even good enough to start in high school ), to these loser parents pushing their kids in the world of hollywood or music ( 12 year olds whored out for money and fame) .....totally pathetic.

agree 100%

He'll have many schools knocking down his door just because of that letter. Good job to him and there should be more people like that in the field.

He'll have many schools knocking down his door just because of that letter. Good job to him and there should be more people like that in the field.

Agreed. Way too many sellouts nowadays. Nice to see a guy take a stand and demand excellence from his athletes and himself.
Wendler is already a respected strength coach...he'll find a job. :thumb:

IML Gear Cream!
:clapping:

I have nothing but respect for this man.

Most people don't care. As long as the 'boss' is happy, and they get their cheque, the rest are just details.

Wendler is the man. Kudos to him for having some integrity.

Well said :clapping: .

Very respectable guy. You dont get to many coaches these days taking a stand and doing what they think is right. He has all my respect.

Jim Wendler Quit his Coaching Job at Univ. of Kentucky.

Check out his resignation letter. It is a shame that people are so stupid and he had to quit for these reasons:

What he should have written:

Dear Athletic Director,

This letter is to inform you that I am resigning from my position as head strength and conditioning coach.
I enjoyed my time while at the university and feel grateful for the knowledge and friendships that I have gained.

Thank you for allowing me to be part of the university and the athletes??? lives. I wish you continued success in the future.

Sincerely,

Jim Wendler

As the original letter will come back to bite him in the ass

(I'm not saying that is fair or right... It just will)

What he should have written:

Dear Athletic Director,

This letter is to inform you that I am resigning from my position as head strength and conditioning coach.
I enjoyed my time while at the university and feel grateful for the knowledge and friendships that I have gained.

Sincerely,

Jim Wendler

As the original letter will come back to bite him in the ass

(I'm not saying that is fair or right... It just will)

I disagree.

This man is already very reputable. I doubt he will have much of a problem getting another job.

I disagree.

This man is already very reputable. I doubt he will have much of a problem getting another job.

I didn't say he wouldn't be able to find another job...
I said the letter will bite him back
(and to what extent, I cannot forcast)

Last edited:
I disagree as well. It took balls to write that letter, and most strength coaches around the NCAA will do some soul searching because they know it is true. Kudos to Jim Wendler for taking a stand.

No way that letter will bite him back.

Can you explain why u think so? I totally disagree.

Because someone will view it as a personal knife in their back
take it way out of context and start a rumor, or bad mouth him in the press

Or more likely there will be some generic demerit system that reads
a negative thing on record and 5-10 years later someone will see
it and read it totally out of character or view it as an unprofessional action

Simple, dumb $h!t happens....

I worked at my last job for almost ten years and my resignation was
two sentences, sure i had all types of things I wanted to say,
and it would have never affected me now...

I just didn't, I left quietly, and moved on...
If you are leaving, you say what you want to your team...
and then move on

IML Gear Cream!
Because someone will view it as a personal knife in their back
take it way out of context and start a rumor, or bad mouth him in the press

Or more likely there will be some generic demerit system that reads
a negative thing on record and 5-10 years later someone will see
it and read it totally out of character or view it as an unprofessional action

Simple, dumb $h!t happens....

I worked at my last job for almost ten years and my resignation was
two sentences, sure i had all types of things I wanted to say,
and it would have never affected me now...

I just didn't, I left quietly, and moved on...
If you are leaving, you say what you want to your team...
and then move on

start a rumor all they want, but if a team truly wants an excellent coach that has a strong philosophy and sticks by it, they will definatly hire him after reading that letter.

he didn't cuss no one out. He didn't put no-one down. He wrote what he believes in and how he will not settle for a cheque training kids the wrong way. To me, that letter screams PROFRESSIONAL. A profressional that is passionate about his job. Not an 'employee' who's just trying to get paid. I believe that no matter what you do, if you love it, you'll be good at it.

start a rumor all they want, but if a team truly wants an excellent coach that has a strong philosophy and sticks by it, they will definatly hire him after reading that letter.

he didn't cuss no one out. He didn't put no-one down. He wrote what he believes in and how he will not settle for a cheque training kids the wrong way. To me, that letter screams PROFRESSIONAL. A profressional that is passionate about his job. Not an 'employee' who's just trying to get paid. I believe that no matter what you do, if you love it, you'll be good at it.

Are you Daft Man?

I said the letter may become some sort of demerit on a report system
and in like ten years, the "demerit" could be viewed as unprofessional

Because.... they won't know what it was, other than it was negative

I say good day to you! - :rolleyes:

I see Monkeys point. Unfortunately this is a business for Colleges, they don't want an employee publicly discrediting there system. Other Universities might consider that before they hire someone.

Personally I think it was right to list his concerns in his letter - if the boss doesnt know why his team is unhappy and feels the need to move on - he wont ever have the chance to do something about it.

How did his resignation letter become public? The uni made it public? If they did, then maybe it is their way of telling other uni's to avoid him as he is a 'troublemaker' and wont adhere to deliver what they want to keep them in business.

How did his resignation letter become public? The uni made it public? If they did, then maybe it is their way of telling other uni's to avoid him as he is a 'troublemaker' and wont adhere to deliver what they want to keep them in business.

the letter was written tounge in cheek about college strength coaches. he wasn't serious.

Back