• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Pose Running

Focus

Defense
Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Have any of you heard of "Pose Running?"
It is basically a form to running, and appears to be great. I have had problems with lower leg pain, and even knee pain, before and after running. Have been at it for more than a month now, and the pains are still there. I'm thinking it's something about my form, as I feel a bit sloppy running sometimes.

Here's a link to their site - http://www.posetech.com/
Olympic runners have used this method, and I know of a few people that have had some great success with the program. Never heard of it before today however, which leaves me a bit skeptical.

I know there are a some runners here... what do you think!?

It is basically a form to running, and appears to be great. I have had problems with lower leg pain, and even knee pain, before and after running. Have been at it for more than a month now, and the pains are still there. I'm thinking it's something about my form, as I feel a bit sloppy running sometimes.

Olympic runners have used this method, and I know of a few people that have had some great success with the program. Never heard of it before today however, which leaves me a bit skeptical.

I haven't seen you run, but i can tell you from my own experience, what might be causing some of your knee pain: weak glutes and/or tight hip flexors.

If when you run, your upper body is in front of you rather than in line with the rest of your body, you are putting a lot of stress on your knees and quads (knee extensors). Just a thought...

re: pose running - i have heard of it, but haven't really looked into it. will check it out and get back to ya. I'm training for a marathon, and i'm up to 16 miles on my long runs. I can tell you that in the past month, after addressing hip flexor and glute issues, and working on my form, I have been running pain free!

The main thing about running is how much do you weigh. Lets be honest here it is a sport for tiny people, and if you are 200lbs+ it will be very hard on your knees. Also it is very important to have very good running shoes.

The main thing about running is how much do you weigh. Lets be honest here it is a sport for tiny people, and if you are 200lbs+ it will be very hard on your knees. Also it is very important to have very good running shoes.

That's not entirely true (running is not only for tiny people, i mean).
Do you run, Foreman?

And yes, the shoes matter, but if the muscular imbalances aren't addressed, the best pair of shoes on earth will not help. I'm currently running in Asics Kayanos (arguably one of the best running shoes out there). I was running in them before, with knee pain, and now with NO pain. The only thing that has changed is my posture, strength and flexibility.

With regards to how much a person weighs, if the person is overweight (overfat, really, because you can be overweight and be all muscle), and is trying to run from 0 miles ever to a few miles a day to START, he or she really needs to step back and a) lose some weight/fat, and b) start with 1 mile (or whatever they can do) and work their way up to one mile completed comfortably. That doesn't mean that they can't do additional cardio training to improve cardio endurance. The rest of the weekly cardiovascular training, until the joints are up to speed and the weight is down, can be done in cross training - elliptical, swimming, pool running, etc., with just one or two days of running, working their way into it.

That's not entirely true (running is not only for tiny people, i mean).
Do you run, Foreman?

And yes, the shoes matter, but if the muscular imbalances aren't addressed, the best pair of shoes on earth will not help. I'm currently running in Asics Kayanos (arguably one of the best running shoes out there). I was running in them before, with knee pain, and now with NO pain. The only thing that has changed is my posture, strength and flexibility.
Yes I run. Just look at the male marathon winners...are they 6'' and 200+ ??? hell no they are 5'4'' and 120lbs. Big people have to be extra carefull about their joints when running and keep in mind they can not take the same punishment a little person can.

Yes I run.
Cool.

Just look at the male marathon winners...are they 6'' and 200+ ??? hell no they are 5'4'' and 120lbs.
Those are the marathon winners, but behind them, are all the normal people, and if you ever watch a marathon, there are people of ALL sizes running in there. They may not be built like elite runners, but they're out there, running their 26.2 like the elite runners, just a little slower, and maybe a little less comfortably. By the way, a lot of elite marathon runners are very TALL, just skinny as hell.

And we're just talking abotu endurance running. But sprinters, some of those can easily weigh 200lb. Different build, different energy system at play. Different training.

Big people have to be extra carefull about their joints when running and keep in mind they can not take the same punishment a little person can.

Agreed, but with proper training (and diet) they can participate in the sport too.

Focus: How long have you been running?

Those are the marathon winners, but behind them, are all the normal people, and if you ever watch a marathon, there are people of ALL sizes running in there. They may not be built like elite runners, but they're out there, running their 26.2 like the elite runners, just a little slower, and maybe a little less comfortably. By the way, a lot of elite marathon runners are very TALL, just skinny as hell.

And we're just talking abotu endurance running. But sprinters, some of those can easily weigh 200lb. Different build, different energy system at play. Different training.
I have a friend who ran one at 220lbs, he did it at a 8 min mile pace...... that amazed me at the time. The few 200lb+ sprinters probably have it even worse on their knees......love to talk to them when they are 40 or 50 years old, bet they are paying the price then for years and years of high impact exercise.

I have a friend who ran one at 220lbs, he did it at a 8 min mile pace...... that amazed me at the time. The few 200lb+ sprinters probably have it even worse on their knees......love to talk to them when they are 40 or 50 years old, bet they are paying the price then for years and years of high impact exercise.

I think most athletes are paying the price at that age for all the training and competition and just beating the shit out of your body for so many years.

that is the price you pay to be a professional athlete. I bet if you ask most of them, they wouldn't trade it for anything either. It would be an amazing experience.

IML Gear Cream!

Just think about how shitty sprinting flats are for those forces.

I think most athletes are paying the price at that age for all the training and competition and just beating the shit out of your body for so many years.

that is the price you pay to be a professional athlete. I bet if you ask most of them, they wouldn't trade it for anything either. It would be an amazing experience.
I watched a documentary on ex NFL players a few years ago that addressed that subject. I wish I could remember its name, it was very interesting to see how messed up some of those guys are now.

I watched a documentary on ex NFL players a few years ago that addressed that subject. I wish I could remember its name, it was very interesting to see how messed up some of those guys are now.

I've always thought about that. I can't imagine being a running back, for example. They just have to plow through people and get fucked up a lot. I always say playing kicker would be great. You can make a pretty big difference if you're a monster (Like that guy who kicked a 62/63 yard field goal the other day), and you won't be so fucked up when you're older, heh.

Focus: How long have you been running?

Well, not long... approaching a month and a half. I ran back in high school, around 3 years ago. Just starting back up now. So I'm guessing I can change up my form pretty easily since I'm still "new" to it.
My goals are pretty much to be able to run 10 miles with ease, but have a 3 mile sprint. I get real sore after just a 3 mile run, at a 9 minute pace, and by the third mile it feels like I'm throwing my feet forward instead of holding solid form.. it's weird.

Pose running is good but difficult to master, and if you don't back off when you're learning it can throw your mechanics off and actually speed you faster towards injury rather than helping. I have tried it for short distances and use it when I'm doing 5-10k or less but anything longer than 10k I generally keep my form less rotational.

And GG is right - most problems can be addressed with proper balance in your mechanics (which also includes balanced stretching along with strengthening), however proper posture, shoes and even foot strike are all essential parts of any good runners makeup.

Focus, remember that running long is different than running fast over a short distance - generally the longer you go the lower you want your heart rate/perceived effort to be so if you're focusing on a 3 mile sprint it should feel a lot harder than your longer stuff. Get a good mileage base down before you do any speed work.

I don't know about pose running, but I do sprint once or twice a week. A mile at a time, 3 miles in a sprint day.

When I was over 200, it hurt my knees a little, but dropping weight and a pair of Nike Air Max 360's has made it effortless and shaved my time to just over 6 minutes.

On the subject, does anyone here, or has anyone here gotten exertion headaches? From time to time while running I get a migrane that forces me to stop... and well sir, I just don't like that. I usually take a couple advil, wait it out, and hit it again, but by that point I've warmed up and cooled down and down really want to go at it again.

Any Ideas? And no, I'm not dehydrated either.

Pose running is good but difficult to master, and if you don't back off when you're learning it can throw your mechanics off and actually speed you faster towards injury rather than helping. I have tried it for short distances and use it when I'm doing 5-10k or less but anything longer than 10k I generally keep my form less rotational.

And GG is right - most problems can be addressed with proper balance in your mechanics (which also includes balanced stretching along with strengthening), however proper posture, shoes and even foot strike are all essential parts of any good runners makeup.

Focus, remember that running long is different than running fast over a short distance - generally the longer you go the lower you want your heart rate/perceived effort to be so if you're focusing on a 3 mile sprint it should feel a lot harder than your longer stuff. Get a good mileage base down before you do any speed work.

Foot strike... I know the term, but the definition is somewhat blurry. May I ask for a link to a site that would help narrow down basic form? Basically, my runs hurt. I was tested on a 3 mile run today, and was only able to manage a 24:38. Upon finishing, for around 20 or so minutes, the bottoms of the calves, almost towards the tendon, real low, was heavily cramped. Sitting still, there is pain, like a cramp that won't go away. Nothing unbearable, but I know it's not normal. I picked up some NewBalance 992's lately, and love em, but I'm the chronic pains will not fade yet.
That is partially why I don't run past 3 miles. I almost fear for my joints. After 3 miles, I'm hurtin if I stop. After 4 miles, I might have to sit down for a while before walking back.

I appreciate the replies too! I trust the judgement of you two.

Here's a link to a good article about how your legs should be moving and your foot should be striking the ground. Remember that some people are pronators and some people are neutral - that's where proper footwear comes in.

http://www.brianmac.demon.co.uk/runform.htm

Focus, you are doing what sounds like flat out running - 3 miles in 24 mins is a pretty good pace for a beginner. Try building your base a little by doing some longer, slower runs as well to make sure your body can take the impact and during these runs you can focus on proper form, posture and mechanics - I'm talking like 5 miles at a slower pace building up to maybe 6-8 once a week. Then you practice your pacing by doing some speed intervals - basically teaching your body to run faster but not putting it over the threshold at which you will get injured.

Here's a link to a good article about how your legs should be moving and your foot should be striking the ground. Remember that some people are pronators and some people are neutral - that's where proper footwear comes in.

http://www.brianmac.demon.co.uk/runform.htm

Focus, you are doing what sounds like flat out running - 3 miles in 24 mins is a pretty good pace for a beginner. Try building your base a little by doing some longer, slower runs as well to make sure your body can take the impact and during these runs you can focus on proper form, posture and mechanics - I'm talking like 5 miles at a slower pace building up to maybe 6-8 once a week. Then you practice your pacing by doing some speed intervals - basically teaching your body to run faster but not putting it over the threshold at which you will get injured.

Thanks, that should definetly help a lot. After 3 miles of running, my right leg has had this nasty cramping sensation, and slightly in the left as well. It's like the muscle above the out ankle just cramps so hard... pushing down on the area above the ankle even with a small amount of force hurts. Pretty sure it has been form issues.

Back