• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

reverse hyper extension

yes, they are a good exercise if you have access to the machine.

It says right there the back isn't really targeted.

Normal hyper extensions target your lower back.

i think the gym im in has the machine

u got a gif or vid of a normal extension ?

They are brutal but ya gotta love what they do to your squat.

Ok - I'll try this again

Other Muscles Worked: Hamstrings
Equipment: Other
Mechanics Type: Isolation

Video Guide: Windows Media - MPEG - Video iPod
Tips: Lie face down on a hyperextension bench, tucking your ankles securely under the footpads. Adjust the upper pad if possible so your upper thighs lie flat across the wide pad, leaving enough room for you to bend at the waist without any restriction. Start with your body in a straight line. Cross your arms in front of you or behind your head. You can also hold a weight for extra resistance. Slowly bend forward at the waist as far as you can while keeping your back FLAT. Do not round your back. Slowly raise your torso until your legs and upper body are in a straight line again. Do NOT arch your back past a straight line!

Ok - I'll try this again

Other Muscles Worked: Hamstrings
Equipment: Other
Mechanics Type: Isolation

Video Guide: Windows Media - MPEG - Video iPod
Tips: Lie face down on a hyperextension bench, tucking your ankles securely under the footpads. Adjust the upper pad if possible so your upper thighs lie flat across the wide pad, leaving enough room for you to bend at the waist without any restriction. Start with your body in a straight line. Cross your arms in front of you or behind your head. You can also hold a weight for extra resistance. Slowly bend forward at the waist as far as you can while keeping your back FLAT. Do not round your back. Slowly raise your torso until your legs and upper body are in a straight line again. Do NOT arch your back past a straight line!

those are regular hyperextensions. reverse hypers are just the...reverse. you anchor your upper body, and you extend your legs. they work your entire posterior chain. i love this exercise. it would definitely help your squat and deadlift. louie simmons also swears by it as a form of rehabilitation for your back.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=VIP-c1IUbR0

It says right there the back isn't really targeted.

Normal hyper extensions target your lower back.

Normal hyperextensions shouldn't put your spine through flexion and extension either. Really, regular hyperextensions should "target" your glutes too, but most people do them improperly.

IML Gear Cream!
is it ever okay to work your spine through extension, CP? or should they just be worked isometrically?

is it ever okay to work your spine through extension, CP? or should they just be worked isometrically?

I just don't see the point in hyperextending your lumbar spine. I also highly recommend you don't flex your lumbar spine under load. Repeated cycles of flexion and extension of the lumbar spine, particularly under load, has been shown to contribute to spondylolisthesis. However, flexing your thoracic spine is acceptable in my opinion, a la crunches.

You will, however, find plenty of people who disagree with my statements and feel it is a good idea. Dr. Ken Leistner performs round back lifts, for example.

those are regular hyperextensions. reverse hypers are just the...reverse. you anchor your upper body, and you extend your legs. they work your entire posterior chain. i love this exercise. it would definitely help your squat and deadlift. louie simmons also swears by it as a form of rehabilitation for your back.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=VIP-c1IUbR0

Yeah I know that's a normal hyper exten. but Richie was asking in a previous post for a pic of a "normal" one

Is there really any point to doing reverse hyperextensions other than to help alleviate the often improper posture and movement most people exhibit doing the normal ones?

I guess what I'm trying to ask is... does it work slightly different muscle groups and any more effictively? I mean all you're doing is putting the load on the ankles instead of the upper torso and performing the same movement.

Normal hyperextensions shouldn't put your spine through flexion and extension either. Really, regular hyperextensions should "target" your glutes too, but most people do them improperly.

Once again, i am hard time picturing this.. I cant see a hyperextension being done without a flex or extension of the spine, hence the name.

Are you describing a movement that has a much smaller ROM?

Once again, i am hard time picturing this.. I cant see a hyperextension being done without a flex or extension of the spine, hence the name.

Are you describing a movement that has a much smaller ROM?

You will probably have a smaller ROM unless you have very mobile hips. Imagine a Romanian deadlift: does your spine flex and extend? No, it stays neutral (Hopefully). The motion is about the hips. Same idea with hyperextensions.

Is there really any point to doing reverse hyperextensions other than to help alleviate the often improper posture and movement most people exhibit doing the normal ones?

I guess what I'm trying to ask is... does it work slightly different muscle groups and any more effictively? I mean all you're doing is putting the load on the ankles instead of the upper torso and performing the same movement.

They are 2 entirely different movements. Reverse hypers are an explosive excersise that target your posterior chain, mainly the glutes.

You will probably have a smaller ROM unless you have very mobile hips. Imagine a Romanian deadlift: does your spine flex and extend? No, it stays neutral (Hopefully). The motion is about the hips. Same idea with hyperextensions.

Ok I can picture it now. I was thinking about head movement and such, along with extension...which I may see more than flexion.

Back