• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Mark McGwire Goes on Hall of Fame Ballot

min0 lee

Elite Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...OT?SITE=NYNYD&SECTION=SPORTS&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT
NEW YORK (AP) -- Mark McGwire, Tony Gwynn and Cal Ripken Jr. headline the first-time candidates on the 2007 baseball writers' Hall of Fame ballot released Monday, sure to spark debate on Big Mac's place in history as the steroid era comes under renewed scrutiny.

Jose Canseco, whose book last year led to a congressional hearing on steroid use in baseball, also is on the ballot for the first time. Canseco said he used steroids along with McGwire when they were teammates.
McGwire denied using illegal performance-enhancing substances, but when he appeared before a congressional committee, he evaded questions. "I'm not here to talk about the past," was his repeated response.

McGwire finished his career with 583 home runs, seventh in baseball history while Canseco, a former MVP, is 30th at 462. Dave Kingman, 34th with 442, has the most home runs for a player who has been on the Hall of Fame ballot and was not elected.
spacer.gif
AP_Tacoda_AMS_DDC_addPair("SECTION", "SPORTS; BASEBALL")AP_Tacoda_AMS_DDC("http://te.ap.org/tte/blank.gif", "1.0")
blank.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif

Gwynn, an eight-time batting champion with San Diego, and Ripken, a two-time MVP with Baltimore, are considered likely to gain election on the first ballot. Ripken played in 2,632 consecutive games, breaking Lou Gehrig's record.

Bret Saberhagen, a two-time Cy Young Award winner, and former MVP Ken Caminiti also are among 17 players on the ballot for the first time along with Harold Baines, Dante Bichette, Bobby Bonilla, Scott Brosius, Jay Buhner, Eric Davis, Tony Fernandez, Wally Joyner, Paul O'Neill, Devon White and Bobby Witt.

Jim Rice, who was 53 votes short of election last year, heads the 15 holdovers. Rich Gossage finished one vote behind Rice.

Reporters who have been in the BBWAA for 10 or more consecutive years are eligible to vote, and the totals will be announced Jan. 9.

The complete ballot:
Harold Baines, Albert Belle, Dante Bichette, Bert Blyleven, Bobby Bonilla, Scott Brosius, Jay Buhner, Ken Caminiti, Jose Canseco, Dave Concepcion, Eric Davis, Andre Dawson, Tony Fernandez, Steve Garvey, Rich "Goose" Gossage, Tony Gwynn, Orel Hershiser, Tommy John, Wally Joyner, Don Mattingly, Mark McGwire, Jack Morris, Dale Murphy, Paul O'Neill, Dave Parker, Jim Rice, Cal Ripken Jr., Bret Saberhagen, Lee Smith, Alan Trammell, Devon White, Bobby Witt.

I wouldn't vote for him on this ballot, I liked him as a player but not enough to wow me.

I personally think the Hall Of Fame has let too many average players voted in.

If Roger Maris doesn't belong in it niether does Mark.

Dang good list!

Harold Baines--no, but I would like to see him back ESPN.

Albert Belle--no, only hall of fame he belongs in is the hall of shame, or assholes.

Dante Bichette--who??

Bert Blyleven--hmm, was he ever on a winning team? it helps.

Bobby Bonilla--I already saw the Bronx.

Scott Brosius--no, if it were based on only playoff performances then yes.

Jay Buhner--no, I actually thought he was still playing.

Ken Caminiti--no

Jose Canseco--what a waste of talent

Dave Concepcion---no

Eric Davis--no

Andre Dawson--no, not enough

Tony Fernandez--no

Steve Garvey--no,I hate the Dodgers

Rich "Goose" Gossage-- if saberhagen is in so should he

Tony Gwynn--yes

Orel Hershiser-- hmmm--4 more years and yes.

Tommy John--no, but his bionic may get him in.

Wally Joyner--no

Don Mattingly--no. sorry Donnie, if only your back didn't give out you would have been a shoo-in.

Mark McGwire--hmmm....no, steriod issue will ruin it for him.

Jack Morris--hmmmm....yes. He doesn't get enough credit.

Dale Murphy--no, I thought he was awesome but then he just fizzled for no reason at all.

Paul O'Neill--no, he was a warrior though.

Dave Parker-- no, another 5 tool player who wasted his career. what an arm

Jim Rice--hmm.....yes, he would have been better appreciated in NY.:p

Cal Ripken Jr. --Yes, the Record and the fact he made some great clutch hits, and his commercials are funny.

I wouldn't vote for him on this ballot, I liked him as a player but not enough to wow me.

I agree. I think they are making it easier and easier to get in each year. There are some players on that ballot that shouldn't even be on the ballot! cough canseco cough

Harold Baines--no, but I would like to see him back ESPN.

Albert Belle--no, only hall of fame he belongs in is the hall of shame, or assholes. I liked Belle. But he is not a hall of famer. good player, yes...great. No!

Dante Bichette--who?? I don't think Bichette deserves it

Bert Blyleven--hmm, was he ever on a winning team? it helps. Wasn't he on the Twins when the won the World Series back in the 80s? Don't know if I would put him in. Undecided.

Bobby Bonilla--I already saw the Bronx. I don't know if he is a hall of famer either.

Scott Brosius--no, if it were based on only playoff performances then yes. No way

Jay Buhner--no, I actually thought he was still playing. No way!!

Ken Caminiti--no Nope

Jose Canseco--what a waste of talent Absolutely not!

Dave Concepcion---no nope

Eric Davis--no nope

Andre Dawson--no, not enough nope

Tony Fernandez--no nope

Steve Garvey--no,I hate the Dodgers. I could see Garvey going in. I think I would give him a vote.

Rich "Goose" Gossage-- if saberhagen is in so should he. I agree

Tony Gwynn--yes 100% hall of famer right here.

Orel Hershiser-- hmmm--4 more years and yes. I would put Anal Hershiser in. Great pitcher

Tommy John--no, but his bionic may get him in. Don't know. undecided

Wally Joyner--no nope

Don Mattingly--no. sorry Donnie, if only your back didn't give out you would have been a shoo-in. I would put Donny Baseball in.

Mark McGwire--hmmm....no, steriod issue will ruin it for him. tough call

Jack Morris--hmmmm....yes. He doesn't get enough credit. I thought he was good. Still undecided. Wouldn't be suprised or upset if he got the nod though.

Dale Murphy--no, I thought he was awesome but then he just fizzled for no reason at all. I would give Murph a vote.

Paul O'Neill--no, he was a warrior though. Good player. Not a hall of famer in my book. damn good player though.

Dave Parker-- no, another 5 tool player who wasted his career. what an arm
nope

Jim Rice--hmm.....yes, he would have been better appreciated in NY.:p
I think he was great. Despite holding the single season record for grounding into the most double plays (Which I think he still has). I would give him a vote.

Cal Ripken Jr. --Yes, the Record and the fact he made some great clutch hits, and his commercials are funny.
100%. Him and Gwynn are the two on this list that I say have to go.

my votes are in.

I agree with you guys for the most part about who should be in or not.

It is a joke now a days as for who should be in there, this used to be a place for the best of the best. Now it is just a mere publicity stunt by MLB to drum up ratings and dollars.

What the fuck is Tony Fernadez doing on there hahaha!

Yeah he was decent but no way a hall of famer, I remember watching him with the the Jays growing up. Ahh the good ole days.

What the fuck is Tony Fernadez doing on there hahaha!

Yeah he was decent but no way a hall of famer, I remember watching him with the the Jays growing up. Ahh the good ole days.
Exactly, he was decent but not great.

IML Gear Cream!
Harold Baines - nope
Albert Belle - nope
Dante Bichette - nope
Bert Blyleven - nope
Bobby Bonilla - not even close
Scott Brosius - nope
Jay Buhner - nope
Ken Caminiti - does it matter? still no.
Jose Canseco - unfortunately I have to say yes.
Dave Concepcion - nopers
Eric Davis - nope
Andre Dawson - eh, no.
Tony Fernandez - nope
Steve Garvey - hmmm, ok, yes.
Rich "Goose" Gossage - yes
Tony Gwynn - no doubt yes
Orel Hershiser - yes
Tommy John - nah
Wally Joyner - no
Don Mattingly - yes
Mark McGwire - I say yes.
Jack Morris - yeah why not
Dale Murphy - naw
Paul O'Neill - nope
Dave Parker - no
Jim Rice - yes
Cal Ripken Jr. - no question yes.

Just looked it up, Blyleven won a world series with the Pirates in '79 and then again with the Twins in '87.

If I remeber correctly, he has been on the ballot for a number of years and he always gets depressed about not getting voted in. I think they did a segment on him on ESPN Behind the Lines with Bob Ley and he talked about how much stress it gives him each year. It could have been someone else, but I swear it was him.

Harold Baines - nope
Albert Belle - nope
Dante Bichette - nope
Bert Blyleven - nope
Bobby Bonilla - not even close
Scott Brosius - nope
Jay Buhner - nope
Ken Caminiti - does it matter? still no.
Jose Canseco - unfortunately I have to say yes.
Dave Concepcion - nopers
Eric Davis - nope
Andre Dawson - eh, no.
Tony Fernandez - nope
Steve Garvey - hmmm, ok, yes.
Rich "Goose" Gossage - yes
Tony Gwynn - no doubt yes
Orel Hershiser - yes
Tommy John - nah
Wally Joyner - no
Don Mattingly - yes
Mark McGwire - I say yes.
Jack Morris - yeah why not
Dale Murphy - naw
Paul O'Neill - nope
Dave Parker - no
Jim Rice - yes
Cal Ripken Jr. - no question yes.

Why would you give a yes to Canseco? He had a few great years in Oakland, he was the first player in the 40/40 club (40hrs. and 40 stolen bases in the same season), but he was a fucking bust after that. IMO, you need to be consistently good to be a hall of famer. It isn't about one record, or one or two good years. You have to be great for the entire time you played (sadly, this is why I wouldn't give Tiki Barber the nod to the NFL hall of fame either.).

Just looked it up, Blyleven won a world series with the Pirates in '79 and then again with the Twins in '87.

If I remeber correctly, he has been on the ballot for a number of years and he always gets depressed about not getting voted in. I think they did a segment on him on ESPN Behind the Lines with Bob Ley and he talked about how much stress it gives him each year. It could have been someone else, but I swear it was him.
OK, now I remember.
He was a pretty good southpaw.

Why would you give a yes to Canseco? He had a few great years in Oakland, he was the first player in the 40/40 club (40hrs. and 40 stolen bases in the same season), but he was a fucking bust after that. IMO, you need to be consistently good to be a hall of famer. It isn't about one record, or one or two good years. You have to be great for the entire time you played (sadly, this is why I wouldn't give Tiki Barber the nod to the NFL hall of fame either.).

Just based on his HR's alone. Of course then I'd have to say yes to Dawson too, but at least Canseco was part of a championship club. Was Dawson with the Marlins when they won in 97? Baseball isn't really my cup of tea.

I'd like to see 2 or 3 more years out of Tiki but I wouldn't be upset if he made it.

MLB should be standing behind McGwire, feeding him grapes. Baseball would still be in the shitter if it wasn't for that home run race. As much as baseball is coming down on the steroid scandal, it is the one thing that saved them from that strike.

Harold Baines--no, not even close

Albert Belle--no, same as Baines

Dante Bichette--Was a great hitter for a few years, but not enough to get him in besdies he played in Colorado.

Bert Blyleven--Blah

Bobby Bonilla--Was a good players, but not good enough.

Scott Brosius--I cant believe hes even on there. Please.

Jay Buhner--Same as Brosius.

Ken Caminiti--Had what 2 good years!

Jose Canseco--Blew any chance he had.

Dave Concepcion---??

Eric Davis--Was a good player, but never great.

Andre Dawson--Hit 49 one year I do believe. He will get in evetually.

Tony Fernandez--Never saw him play

Steve Garvey--no one cares if you hate the Dodgers or not

Rich "Goose" Gossage-- Yes

Tony Gwynn--Hell yes!!!

Orel Hershiser-- Yes

Tommy John--Nope

Wally Joyner--no

Don Mattingly--Yes, he is the face of the Yankees.

Mark McGwire--He wouldve if not for the roids, but still maybe.

Jack Morris-He was a great pitcher, but not on this ballot.

Dale Murphy--Was the face of the Bravos, so maybe.

Paul O'Neill--Nope, but I liked his softball swing.

Dave Parker-- no

Jim Rice--Defenitly so!

Cal Ripken Jr. --Hes goin in for sure. I thought he was a little above average player, but the record gets him in for sure. Besdies hes one hell of a stand up guy! And theres not to many in this years ballot.

MLB should be standing behind McGwire, feeding him grapes. Baseball would still be in the shitter if it wasn't for that home run race. As much as baseball is coming down on the steroid scandal, it is the one thing that saved them from that strike.

You are correct fine sir.:clapping:

I grew up watching Cal, and it was a family event the night he broke the record. Great player, great guy too.

i must emphatically disagree here. to call mark mcguire average by any means is ridiculous. remember this guy hit 587 HR's not many can say that. steroids or no. this guy was expedcted to break the individual season mark even from his rookie year. remember how he hit 49 as a rookie? mark deserves to be in the hall and all those sport writters who hold the whole steroid thing against him are fools. steroids doesnt teach you how to hit a curve ball. and the season he broke the mark he was hitting a home run like every 7 swings or something like that. the guy is amazing and deserves to be in. whatever happened to inocent till proven guilty? how many other guys are in the hall who took steroids. steroids didnt turn baseball into a joke, baseball turned itself into a joke because of the way it handled and is handling steroids. does anyone not believe that from the 70's through the 90's they basically embraced it? and now they are acting shoked and appalled. what a load of crap.

IML Gear Cream!
I know about 2 of those names.

I went to see his very last game....or one of his last.
It was the one he played in I think Dallas tx?
Or was it houston? I don't remember, but he did hit at least one Homer, so that was pretty cool.

If cheaters like Gaylord Perry are already in the hall, then there is no reason that Mark Mcgwire shouldn't be in there.

i must emphatically disagree here. to call mark mcguire average by any means is ridiculous. remember this guy hit 587 HR's not many can say that. steroids or no. this guy was expedcted to break the individual season mark even from his rookie year. remember how he hit 49 as a rookie? mark deserves to be in the hall and all those sport writters who hold the whole steroid thing against him are fools. steroids doesnt teach you how to hit a curve ball. and the season he broke the mark he was hitting a home run like every 7 swings or something like that. the guy is amazing and deserves to be in. whatever happened to inocent till proven guilty? how many other guys are in the hall who took steroids. steroids didnt turn baseball into a joke, baseball turned itself into a joke because of the way it handled and is handling steroids. does anyone not believe that from the 70's through the 90's they basically embraced it? and now they are acting shoked and appalled. what a load of crap.
Roger Maris was a better all around player, if Big Mac goes in so should Dave Kingman, Dave Parker, Conseco....

I want Pete Rose in there.

Me too. My favorite player ever. He played the game like no other.

Woody Paige (formely of ESPN cold pizza, since tues. was his last day) get a vote and he said he wouldn't give McGuire a vote. he said even without steriods, he didn't think his career was consistent enough to and great enough to be in the hall of fame. He never won a golden glove, he never won an MVP and even though every sinlge player with 500+ HRs is in the hall, he doesn't believe the McGuire deserves it.

Me too. My favorite player ever. He played the game like no other.

Woody Paige (formely of ESPN cold pizza, since tues. was his last day) get a vote and he said he wouldn't give McGuire a vote. he said even without steriods, he didn't think his career was consistent enough to and great enough to be in the hall of fame. He never won a golden glove, he never won an MVP and even though every sinlge player with 500+ HRs is in the hall, he doesn't believe the McGuire deserves it.

You would have to include Sosa in there.
They are good but...........

Interesting little tidbit. Of the 755 homeruns Hank Aaron hit only 1 was an inside the park homerun

Interesting little tidbit. Of the 755 homeruns Hank Aaron hit only 1 was an inside the park homerun

wow. i couldn't see him hitting ANY inside the parkers. he wasn't a speed demon at all.

Back