• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Need some help with my father

Double D

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
My father is 50yrs young and he wants to get into weights with me. He always goes on and one about how big I am and finally the other day he actually came out and said he wanted to lift weights with me. He has had a minro heartattack whenever he was 38. He has had a clean bill of health ever since. His doctor gave him the ok to go ahead and start a weight training regimine, just as long as he takes the proper steps. As in doesnt get to out of breath and things like that.

So my question is what would you guys suggest? He is a strong man, his grip strength may put mine to shame. He is a truck driver for a living and has been for more than 30years, so his aerobic shape isnt to good. I figure if he starts doing some light weight training to start out would be a good start. Any ideas?

Circuit training for starts. Anything will be good for him. Just needs to get in there and start lifting.

Probably could use from specific glute/hamstring training. Strengthing, activation, stretching. Seeing as he is a truck driver and doing lots of sitting.

who does he drive for?

I always start people (after an assessment ofcourse) with circuit training workouts, to help improve their work capacity, work on any movement impairments that need to be corrected and to teach them technique. Within the frame work of teaching technique, I use such variables as tempo restricted eccentrics and isometrics, so that they can feel their body positions as they move through the ROM of the given movement.

Obviously, you aren't going to hound him to complete exercise after exercise. if he needs to stop and catch his breath, let him. The main thing is that he makes improvements week to week.

From that, I typically start with 10-12 reps with people. This isn't 10-12 rep maxes. This is probably closer to 60-65% (around a 15-20 rep max) and I am looking for solid controlled movement and good bar speed, so he shouldn't be grinding out the lift, as if he were going for a 1RM. Smooth controlled movement. Also, the lighter weight will lend itself better to tempo restrictions and isometrics.

Start with basic meat and potatoes exercises....things like push ups, glute bridges, BW squats (then holding DBs), rowing movements, planks, bird dogs, etc.....Start easy and make good progress over a few weeks.

Thanks guys, and P I love your idea. I know he will enjoy it. He isnt in good shape aerobically, so I think it would be a great idea to let him catch his breath. Also 10-12 reps with a 20rm would work great. I think just about anything he does at this point will make him sore.

Since he's had a heart attack before, wouldnt it be a better idea to start himout with some traditional type training?
i.e. light weights with 2-3 minute rest intervals

if hes in bad cardiovascular shape, that might be enough to make him breathe heavy....

Circuit training seems to be very taxing on your cardiovascular system, and I wouldnt want him to strain himself too bad right away, because of his medical condition. But you know your dad better than I do.

Since he's had a heart attack before, wouldnt it be a better idea to start himout with some traditional type training?
i.e. light weights with 2-3 minute rest intervals

if hes in bad cardiovascular shape, that might be enough to make him breathe heavy....

Circuit training seems to be very taxing on your cardiovascular system, and I wouldnt want him to strain himself too bad right away, because of his medical condition. But you know your dad better than I do.

perhaps you missed the part where i said IF HE NEEDS TO REST IN BETWEEN EXERCISES THEN LET HIM REST. Or maybe you misse the part where I talked about the exercise intensity and keeping it low....How is this anymore intense than traditional cardio? Also, if you do have movement impairments, traditional cardio is not going to make those impairments better, rather it will lead to more tissue overload.

Back