• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Daily Protein Intake...

assassin

Elite Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
I was just wondering do other athletes who are not doing weight training need the same amount of protein as body builders need??for example if a tennis player wanted to make a diet should he eat 1-1.5 grams per lb??

That really depends on their metabolism. To retain muscle you need protein.

I would assume so. although many people today don't even consume a very "healthy" related diet. They just see food and eat.

As Jodi stated - it does depend on the individual (eg: it depends on their total calorie intake - if it is higher, they need less protein.... It depends on their lean mass - if it is higher, they need more.... It will depend on their training - if they are doing more, they will need more )...

However, speaking generally - In all the studies the people who need the most protein are Endurance athletes and Strength athletes.... But even for these athletes most studies say you don't actually 'need' that '1-1.5g per pound' of protein either.... And to give you an idea - usually they suggest something in the order of 1.4-1.8g per KG....

As Jodi stated - it does depend on the individual (eg: it depends on their total calorie intake - if it is higher, they need less protein.... It depends on their lean mass - if it is higher, they need more.... It will depend on their training - if they are doing more, they will need more )...

However, speaking generally - In all the studies the people who need the most protein are Endurance athletes and Strength athletes.... But even for these athletes most studies say you don't actually 'need' that '1-1.5g per pound' of protein either.... And to give you an idea - usually they suggest something in the order of 1.4-1.8g per KG....

Emma is dead on with the 1.4 - 1.8 g /KG (lbs/2.2). Try this link for general guidelines from the Whey Protein site:

http://www.wheyoflife.org/mydiet.cfm

Use the calculator for various ranges. The range goes from .4 g per lb of bodyweight for a sedentary adult all the way to .9 g per lb as the maximum useable amounts by adults.

Excerpt:

Body Composition: The RDA for protein is 0.4 grams per pound of body weight each day

Activity Level: Individuals who regularly engage in weight training and/or endurance exercise require additional protein. Research recommends 0.6 - 0.9 grams/pound of body weight depending upon the intensity of the specific training program.

Most professional athletes (swimmers, tennis players, baseball, etc...) are in the .6g / lb - .9 / lb range.

That really depends on their metabolism. To retain muscle you need protein.

you need protein for size and strength ..without enough protein you can't get size or strength but what about endurance , does endurance and speed and stuff need the same amount of protein?:daydream:

you need protein for size and strength ..without enough protein you can't get size or strength but what about endurance , does endurance and speed and stuff need the same amount of protein?:daydream:

Assassin, take a look at this article.

http://www.hammernutrition.com/za/HNT?PAGE=ARTICLE&ARTICLE.ID=2892

Intense training may increase dietary protein requirements to as high as 1.7 grams protein per kilogram bodyweight per day.

The article gets very in-depth...taking a look at the whole thing is eye-opening.

I said this a while ago and its the craziest thing. I have grown from 143lbs to 220lbs (not now, that was my heaviest). My bench went from 145lbs to 360lbs. All with 11 years. And I have never constantly eaten even 1g of protein per lb of bodyweight. Its always been less...usually about 20g off.

Back