• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

excess protein calories stored as fat??

SheLifts

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
i have someone telling me that excess calories from protein are not stored as body fat.

it's still excess calories. and excess calories are stored as body fat.

can someone give me a few good links to help me with evidence?

So basically lets assume I eat only protein all day.

Lets just say I eat 800 g of protein which works out to about 3200 cals.

Lets assume that this is over my BMR, so the excess cals will just disappear and I won't get fat :D

that's what the other guy is saying.

i still say excess calories = fat gain.

Right, that is the basic concept Cals in vs Cals out. They don't just magically disappear.

thank you. :D

I'm pretty sure you piss out excess protein and it is not stored as fat.

I'm pretty sure you piss out excess protein and it is not stored as fat.

I can never tell whether you are being sarcastic or not.

If not I would like to see a source that states that.

Protein when digested is broken down into peptides and then amino acids. What isn't used is then converted by the body to either Glucose or Fat. If it isn't used up it is stored in the fat cells.

Some calories are expended during this process, and it isn't that efficient, but the body finds way to use the macros, that are consumed.

Leave it to a Canadian to clear it up. :thumb:

SheLifts, is he worth convincing??

In excess the nitrogens are removed and urinated out then the liver can turn it into glycogen and fat from there or what ever. it's been too long since i've read about that - of course it can be stored as fat heh.

SheLifts, is he worth convincing??

i'm the moderator of the health and fitness section at this particular forum. i think it bothered me that he would try to tell me that i was wrong.
maybe it's an ego/pride thing and i wanted to makes sure i was right and he was wrong.... :hot:

IML Gear Cream!
Or -

if you are training your muscles with a fair amount of intensity it can be stored as muscle.

She is completely wrong! Excess protein turns to glucose and too much glucose will be stored as fat. It's called gluconeogenesis. It mimics insulin. Now if you are on a low carb diet, this won't really do too much other than produce glucose that your body doesn't have. However, if you are not on a low carb diet (50-75G carbs per day) then this converted glucose will be treated like the rest of it in your body and if you spill over your storage levels, it will get turned into fat.

In excess the nitrogens are removed and urinated out then the liver can turn it into glycogen and fat from there or what ever. it's been too long since i've read about that - of course it can be stored as fat heh.

I'm in 100% agreement here.

Also, the keytone byproducts of de-amination will put added stress on your liver. Glucocorticoid levels will rise as a result (causing an increased insulin resistance) This added stress will actually make fat storage more favorable than normal as well as hamper your ability to digest properly. The later, mostly only under more extreme or prolonged cases. Prolonged elevated corticoid levels (as well as short term High levels) divert blood flow from the digestive organs.

From what I understand, most people tend to eat a mixed diet with at least a little of each macro. In a caloric surplus, ingested fat tends to be stored first I think because it is already in an immediately storable form. Protein will be the least likely to be stored since it has to be converted to cho and then to fat as noted above.

Additionally, that conversion tends to be energy expensive and inefficient. Unless someone has come up with new info, protein is still ~15-25% thermic with cho being more like 10 and fat barely any (1-2% thermic or so). So it is tougher to get to a caloric surplus using protein only.

As a practical matter, I find that very high protein diets with moderate carbs make bulking nicer for me. Water retention isn't a big problem which makes tracking gains easier. OTOH, past a certain point, consuming massive amount of protein may produce some excess stress on the body and can be viewed as a costly cho source by many. To each their own.

Additionally, that conversion tends to be energy expensive and inefficient. Unless someone has come up with new info, protein is still ~15-25% thermic with cho being more like 10 and fat barely any (1-2% thermic or so). So it is tougher to get to a caloric surplus using protein only.

The energy balances for breaking down these macromolecules are directly related to the stresses they cause on your body.

These factors should scream to you that the 'maintenance' energies required are NOT on a linear scale. The more stress on the body from external sources, the highly the standard levels of catabolism for that individual. The higher the level of natural catabolism, the lower the required level of maintanace Kcals from an external source(dietary consumption).

This is all a factor of efficiencies in an individual's metabolic pathways. This is exactly why somebody should never adopt another person's diet because it works for 'them'.

For all of these reasons, it is illogical to suggest that energy from one specific macromolecule would be better than another.

Last edited:
what do you all suggest for me:
I am 100 pound female, bulking. I currently get 50 grams fats, 220 grams carbs, and 260 grams protein each day. But I need to up my calories and I don't know where to add. I feel that adding protein is the "safest" since it is lest likely to be stores as fats... but I already get a lot of protein for my size. So do I up the protein, fat, or carbs? what is safest in terms of clean bulking? Everyone seems to say "carbs make you fat", but are they more easily stored as fat in a caloric surplus than straight up fat?

She is completely wrong! Excess protein turns to glucose and too much glucose will be stored as fat. It's called gluconeogenesis. It mimics insulin. Now if you are on a low carb diet, this won't really do too much other than produce glucose that your body doesn't have. However, if you are not on a low carb diet (50-75G carbs per day) then this converted glucose will be treated like the rest of it in your body and if you spill over your storage levels, it will get turned into fat.

Well I was going to make this comment on it because I remember you getting on my case about it:yell:

But hey atleast I knew what I was talking about this time. :daydream:

bump- can anyone answer me question? I'd really appreciate your opinions/advice... thank you!

you are 100lbs and you eat 260g of protein!!!! I think you need to go back to the drawing board and restructure your diet!

well I need calories and I'm not going to take in like 500 grams carbs! Do you have any suggestions?

IML Gear Cream!
runlift22, sorry if you've posted this before, but what's your diet look like? Maybe we can help you further if you give us more to work with.

wake up
6:00 a.m. Scoop of whey, tablespoon PB
30-40 min low intensity cardio- sip on BCAA's- (4 scoops Xtend 20 g protein)
7:00 am- 6 egg whites, 1 whole egg
1 cup no sugar soy milk, 1/2 cup oatmeal, one serving fruit,fish oils
10:00 am- scoop of sustain protein, tablespoon peanut butter (in class)
1:00 p.m.- same as breakfast but instead of fruit, 4 servings broccoli
3:00 workout- sip on 2 scoops Xtend (10 g protein), 1/2 scoop whey (12 g protein)
4:30 post workout- 2 scoops Xtend (10 g protein), 1/2 scoop whey (12 g protein), 30 grams dextrose or waxy maize starch, 5 g glutamine
5:30- either oats or 2 slices ezekiel bread or a sweet potato or brown rice
glass of skim milk + tuna fish or 4-5 oz chicken
8:30- 1.75 cups 0% greek yogurt (33 g protein), fish oils, almonds, HUGE salad of mixed greens with cucumber and tomato.

its about 230 grams protein from whey/egg whites/BCAA's/meat/milk and the rest is from peanut butter, almonds,soy milk, oats (minimal), and veggies (minimal)

Even if your diet sucks or doesnt, this is a good question.

The answer is yes. In metabolism, there is no such thing as "excess". There is what you use.... and what you store.

"what goes up, must come down"
"in equals out"
"No free lunch"

ect ect ect.

can someone comment on my diet/make suggestions. Am I taking in too much protein? Should I increase my fats or carbs first? What is less likely to be stored?

Excess Protein Turns To Fat

Everyone knows that overeating leads to excess weight. This concept comes in many flavors these days, though. Some people think that carbohydrates are the culprit. Others think it's sugar. Some people think that eating lots of protein couldn't possibly make them gain weight. Hmmm . . .

The only way to determine the answer to this enigma is to go inside the human body and take a look at how fat gets there in the first place. Let's follow a bite of pepperoni pizza and see what happens to its sugar, fat and protein. Open wide!

The food enters your mouth:

Saliva contains enzymes that break any starch in the food down to sugar.

This, along with any fat and water in the food, travel to the stomach, which churns them up.

Pepsin (an enzyme that digests protein) and hydrochloric acid further break down the food, turning it into a substance called chyme.

The mixture enters the duodenum, (the place where the gall bladder secretes its bile).

This bile dissolves the fat in water, thinning it out and making it easier to absorb.

Enzymes from the pancreas enter the duodenum and further break down the sugar, fat and protein.
Now everything is dissolved and is in fluid form, so it is absorbed through the lining of the small bowel. Fat, sugar and protein wave good-bye to each other and go their separate ways.

What happens to the sugar:

It also goes directly into the blood stream, and several different organs take the sugar they need as it passes by.

Some is stored in the liver as glycogen.

Whatever is left is converted to fat and stored in fat cells with the excess fat above.

What happens to the fat:

First, it goes into the blood stream and travels to the liver

The liver burns some of the fat, converts some to other substances (one is cholesterol) and sends the rest to fat cells, where they wait until they are needed.

What happens to the protein:

It is broken down into building blocks known as peptides.

Then, it is further broken down and it becomes amino acids.

The amino acids are absorbed through the small intestine's lining and enter the blood stream.

From here, some of the amino acids build the body's protein stores.

Excess amino acids are converted to fats and sugars and follow the paths described above.

This is such a simple concept, but many people still believe that consuming lots and lots of protein will put muscle on their bones. Don't be fooled by this notion! Even excess protein turns to fat.
Here is a picturesque illustration of the real cause of weight gain. Eating too much food! Dietary fat is obviously the substance most often stored as fat in the end, but no matter what you eat, your body takes whatever it can't use and sends it to fat cells. If you don't burn it off or expel it, it hangs around in your fat cells, no matter what it consists of.

Everyone knows that overeating leads to excess weight. This concept comes in many flavors these days, though. Some people think that carbohydrates are the culprit. Others think it's sugar. Some people think that eating lots of protein couldn't possibly make them gain weight. Hmmm . . .

The only way to determine the answer to this enigma is to go inside the human body and take a look at how fat gets there in the first place. Let's follow a bite of pepperoni pizza and see what happens to its sugar, fat and protein. Open wide!

The food enters your mouth:

Saliva contains enzymes that break any starch in the food down to sugar.

This, along with any fat and water in the food, travel to the stomach, which churns them up.

Pepsin (an enzyme that digests protein) and hydrochloric acid further break down the food, turning it into a substance called chyme.

The mixture enters the duodenum, (the place where the gall bladder secretes its bile).

This bile dissolves the fat in water, thinning it out and making it easier to absorb.

Enzymes from the pancreas enter the duodenum and further break down the sugar, fat and protein.
Now everything is dissolved and is in fluid form, so it is absorbed through the lining of the small bowel. Fat, sugar and protein wave good-bye to each other and go their separate ways.

What happens to the sugar:

It also goes directly into the blood stream, and several different organs take the sugar they need as it passes by.

Some is stored in the liver as glycogen.

Whatever is left is converted to fat and stored in fat cells with the excess fat above.

What happens to the fat:

First, it goes into the blood stream and travels to the liver

The liver burns some of the fat, converts some to other substances (one is cholesterol) and sends the rest to fat cells, where they wait until they are needed.

What happens to the protein:

It is broken down into building blocks known as peptides.

Then, it is further broken down and it becomes amino acids.

The amino acids are absorbed through the small intestine's lining and enter the blood stream.

From here, some of the amino acids build the body's protein stores.

Excess amino acids are converted to fats and sugars and follow the paths described above.

This is such a simple concept, but many people still believe that consuming lots and lots of protein will put muscle on their bones. Don't be fooled by this notion! Even excess protein turns to fat.
Here is a picturesque illustration of the real cause of weight gain. Eating too much food! Dietary fat is obviously the substance most often stored as fat in the end, but no matter what you eat, your body takes whatever it can't use and sends it to fat cells. If you don't burn it off or expel it, it hangs around in your fat cells, no matter what it consists of.

almost a 2 year old thread bumped? yay

i have someone telling me that excess calories from protein are not stored as body fat.

it's still excess calories. and excess calories are stored as body fat.

can someone give me a few good links to help me with evidence?

Not stored at fat? That's wrong. However, protein is the least likely to be stored as at of the three macro nutrients from a thermic and hormonal perspective.

Two articles that may put it in perspective:

Nutritional Myths that Just Won't Die:

Nutritional Myths that Just Won't Die

Brink's Unified Theory of Nutrition:

A Unified Theory of Nutrition

Back