• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Why can some bands create a good album or hit song...

BigDyl

Elite Kiki
Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
...that everyone connects with... yet somehow they can never reproduce the same effect?

:confused:

</Vieope>

...that everyone connects with... yet somehow they can never reproduce the same effect?

:confused:

</Vieope>

They're one-hit-wonders. They have one great idea, but arent creative enough to come up with a second great idea, or they get jaded by the music business and this taints their judgement on what is actually great.

See: Metallica.

Good answer.

I always like to think that there is a song (or poem) in everybody worthy of being a big hit. Some people find theirs and become one-hit wonders. The long lasting artists are more creatively gifted than the norm so can rise up above this limitation.

They're one-hit-wonders. They have one great idea, but arent creative enough to come up with a second great idea, or they get jaded by the music business and this taints their judgement on what is actually great.

See: Metallica.

Metallica has been around for over 20 years with tens of millions of albums sold. I hardly call them one hit wonders. Judgement impaired...maybe.

Perhaps these bands have used all of their best material and songs with the deepest meaning they have come up with over long periods of time and they get signed for having some good stuff that they may have been writing since high-school.There is pressure to put out a follow up so they don't have the time to put the energy and emotion into it because they are jotting down words that may rhyme but they don't feel them so the heart of the band isn't "in it".The follow up material is probably done in a year or so while the original may have taken several years.

Metallica has been around for over 20 years with tens of millions of albums sold. I hardly call them one hit wonders. Judgement impaired...maybe.

No, they fall under the second category (Jaded by the 'biz).

Though only the one album (Puppets) really "spoke" to me. The two before it were just building up to Puppets, Justice was pretty good but not quite as awesome, and from the Black Album onwards it all went to hell, culminating in St Anger, which is one of the worst "metal" albums ive heard in a while.

Though Slayer's Christ Illusion comes close in the "Dissapointing Comeback Albums" category. The only thing that saves it is that the sound of the record is decent, its just the songs that suck.

The only thing post-Puppets that Metallica have done that i truly enjoy was the S+M version of For Whom The Bell Tolls. If i ever get drafted into the military i want that version of the track playing when im out there. Its inspiring as fuck.

Perhaps these bands have used all of their best material and songs with the deepest meaning they have come up with over long periods of time and they get signed for having some good stuff that they may have been writing since high-school.

There was one thing Devin Townsend (see:genius) said like that, something along the lines of "Most bands write their best material when they're young, because they're angry as fuck, but when they get older they mellow out and its not quite as good anymore."

Which is kinda true i think.

IML Gear Cream!

Though only the one album (Puppets) really "spoke" to me. The two before it were just building up to Puppets, Justice was pretty good but not quite as awesome, and from the Black Album onwards it all went to hell, culminating in St Anger, which is one of the worst "metal" albums ive heard in a while.

Though Slayer's Christ Illusion comes close in the "Dissapointing Comeback Albums" category. The only thing that saves it is that the sound of the record is decent, its just the songs that suck.

The only thing post-Puppets that Metallica have done that i truly enjoy was the S+M version of For Whom The Bell Tolls. If i ever get drafted into the military i want that version of the track playing when im out there. Its inspiring as fuck.

What are you on about? Although not the greatest fan, Ride the Lightening to The Black album were generally high quality. St Anger was rubbish, mainly due to the new bassist and that really shitty de-tuned sound that is far too rife in metal these days. So much so that i hardly listen to metal anymore. The snare drums sound on St Anger was crap too (to be pedantic). I don't think I've heard one song by anyone that is good with that shitty bass sound.

Bang on about From whom the bell tolls....that's made to be a war soundtrack.

What are you on about? Although not the greatest fan, Ride the Lightening to The Black album were generally high quality. St Anger was rubbish, mainly due to the new bassist and that really shitty de-tuned sound that is far too rife in metal these days. So much so that i hardly listen to metal anymore. The snare drums sound on St Anger was crap too (to be pedantic). I don't think I've heard one song by anyone that is good with that shitty bass sound.

Bang on about From whom the bell tolls....that's made to be a war soundtrack.

Ride The Lightening was awesome, Kill Em All i wasnt a HUGE fan of for some reason, but Seek And Destroy is one of my favourite metal songs.

Im not saying those two albums are shit, i just meant they were paving the way for the much much better Puppets.

As for the Black Album, meh. I'll agree to Disagree with everybody on that one, because i just dislike 90% of everything that album is. The 10% i do like is Enter Sandman, haha.

But yeah, St Anger is universally despised i think.

Ride The Lightening was awesome, Kill Em All i wasnt a HUGE fan of for some reason, but Seek And Destroy is one of my favourite metal songs.

Im not saying those two albums are shit, i just meant they were paving the way for the much much better Puppets.

As for the Black Album, meh. I'll agree to Disagree with everybody on that one, because i just dislike 90% of everything that album is. The 10% i do like is Enter Sandman, haha.

But yeah, St Anger is universally despised i think.

Fair enough, I agree that the first two were building blocks for Puppets, which was superior. Most I know love the black album. Ok, it's a little softer, but the quality of songwriting is excellent throughout, so much so, that I would possibly consider it to be their best work.:shrug:
I always thought they were at their best mixing classical guitar techniques with metal.

Favouristes: Sanatarium, Fade to Black, Wherever I may Roam, To live is to die.

Fair enough, I agree that the first two were building blocks for Puppets, which was superior. Most I know love the black album. Ok, it's a little softer, but the quality of songwriting is excellent throughout, so much so, that I would possibly consider it to be their best work.:shrug:
I always thought they were at their best mixing classical guitar techniques with metal.

Im partial to "The Thing That Should Not Be". Mostly because i read a lot of HP Lovecraft, so the lyrics take on a far more sinister edge, lol.

Tool pwns all.

:pissed:

I think it's funny (and appropriate) that none of us Metallica fans even mention Load or Reload - I think they are better off forgotten in the garbage.

I think the reason the Black Album didnt resonate with real fans is because it was a departure from the music they made for the previous albums. It was far more mainstream so they could get the radio and video play they needed to sell albums, which they did. Smart move, but yes, not a typical album.

I think it's funny (and appropriate) that none of us Metallica fans even mention Load or Reload - I think they are better off forgotten in the garbage.

I think the reason the Black Album didnt resonate with real fans is because it was a departure from the music they made for the previous albums. It was far more mainstream so they could get the radio and video play they needed to sell albums, which they did. Smart move, but yes, not a typical album.

That's very true. It was watered down from previous albums, and even the songwriting structure deviated towards typical 'radio-friendly' rock. Even the hooks used were more accessable. Smart move indeed, its the one Metallica album you see in people's record collections.

IML Gear Cream!
I agree also.

Absolutely everybody has that album simply because its incredibly generic radio-friendly material. I know people who are total pop fans who have that album.

It really gets to me, when their first four albums are some of the best Thrash Metal ever recorded.

Master Of Puppets is right up there with Slayer's Reign In Blood and Megadeth's Rust In Peace as the top three metal albums of the 80's IMO. All three are classic albums.

It pains me how they went so wrong.

Tool pwns all.

Big D, did you go to the last tour? I'm a big fan, but they broke into this half hour keyboard and synthesizer jam, that was so gay. I thought I was watching the end of Revenge of the Nerds.

Big D, did you go to the last tour? I'm a big fan, but they broke into this half hour keyboard and synthesizer jam, that was so gay. I thought I was watching the end of Revenge of the Nerds.

The do random stuff. I didn't go to their last tour, but 99% of their random stuff is sick.

Maynard's last APC album shows how he can put out weak tracks when he doesn't apply himself however.

Actually that album did have one sick track, and if they were all of that quality, the third could have been the best, but I digress.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7PTgi_5MR0

I disagree.

The House that Jack Built
Until It Sleeps
King Nothing
Fuel
The Memory Remains

These are some of my favorite songs....along with 20-30 of Metallica's other songs :lol:

I agree also.

Absolutely everybody has that album simply because its incredibly generic radio-friendly material. I know people who are total pop fans who have that album.

It really gets to me, when their first four albums are some of the best Thrash Metal ever recorded.

Master Of Puppets is right up there with Slayer's Reign In Blood and Megadeth's Rust In Peace as the top three metal albums of the 80's IMO. All three are classic albums.

It pains me how they went so wrong.

Rust in peace - what an opening couple of tracks: Holy Wars (Love the opening - great guitar riff to master) & Hanger 18. Brilliant. And really heavy.

Metallica was my favorite band when i was young. I was the typical pissed of emo whiteboy. Ride the Lightening, Master of Puppets, and And Justice for All all reflected what I felt inside at that time. Everything after that was soft, lame, and I didn't want to have anything to do with it. It did not speak to me. I couldn't feel anything from it.

James become older, more mello, richer, and content with his life. That is the Irony of it all. He was only good when he was miserable.

Metallica was my favorite band when i was young. I was the typical pissed of emo whiteboy. Ride the Lightening, Master of Puppets, and And Justice for All all reflected what I felt inside at that time. Everything after that was soft, lame, and I didn't want to have anything to do with it. It did not speak to me. I couldn't feel anything from it.

James become older, more mello, richer, and content with his life. That is the Irony of it all. He was only good when he was miserable.

I like the hell out of their stuff.The only album I can't listen to from start to finish is St.Anger because it sounds like it was recorded inside a tin can.

It's the inspiration for a number of artists, they need misery to fire the creative burner. Read Kurt Cobain, Nick Drake, Ian Curtis....etc....

Back