• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

DB Press converted to barbell press..

Uthinkso

Go on....DO IT!!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Is there such a conversion? I've seen of the bigger fellas in the gym work out with 90-100lb DB but barbell press 370lb.

I haven't done BB press since the come back has started here, but I'm curious about it. I'm pretty solid at 65lb DB's for two sets of six reps (I know its nothing impressive) and thats after I've done two warm-up sets with 45lb and 50lb DB with 12 reps.

I'm thinking my one rep max would be around 200lb or so, give or take. Of course one way to find out is put 200lb on the bar and see if I can move it.

you should easly be able to do 200lbs i can do 225 and i do two sets of ten at 55lbs for the db press

I think the only way to find out is to get a BB and a spotter and work up to your 1RM.

true

What I'm about to say is only my opinion, and not backed up with any sort of study.

I think that at lower weights (sub-200), there is some correlation between DBs and BBs when benching. But, above 200 pounds, they DBs become so awkward that they will lag behind the BBs and all correlation is lost.

In any case, back when I could only do 50 pounds on the DBs, I could do around 150 on the BB. But your mileage may vary.

At one point I had never pressed a DB in my life. I was max benching probably 260 or so and I struggled with 40lbs DB's. Now I max 300 flat bench and I can handle 90's on the incline for reps. In fact, when I did DB's only, for a month to help close that gap, my flat bench had gone up as well.

Theres no way to convert it. It seems as if it should be similiar and chances are you might be right. :twitch:

I am repping 130lb DBs and am about to move up to the 140s. It sounds pretty good, but I bet my max bench has gone down, since I havent barbell bench pressed in a while.

It has something to do with the CNS and activity.

There are soo many factors that go into it. Take me for example, I can do 105's for 8, but can only max 270. Your size, height, weaknesses and strengths change everything. (I'm blessed with long arms, short torso. :mad: )

There are soo many factors that go into it. Take me for example, I can do 105's for 8, but can only max 270. Your size, height, weaknesses and strengths change everything. (I'm blessed with long arms, short torso. :mad: )

I hear ya on the long arms thing. I feel like I have to move the weight so much further to get full range of motion.

Theres no way to convert it. It seems as if it should be similiar and chances are you might be right. :twitch:

I am repping 130lb DBs and am about to move up to the 140s. It sounds pretty good, but I bet my max bench has gone down, since I havent barbell bench pressed in a while.

It has something to do with the CNS and activity.

Wow. My gym only goes up to 125, and I can hit them for 12 solid reps. I'm dying to try 130's or even 140's. What does your gym go up to?

IML Gear Cream!
My gym has up to 140's from 120 they go in 5lb intervals.

yo you guys are movin some serious weigth.........i can bench 85 dumbells for 8-10 reps............. man i can imagine holdin heavier weigth on the dumbells that must be uncomfortable, probably because i got long arms and a small wrist, anyway since i dont do barbell anyway If I go back to barbell benchin im pretty sure i wont do 2 good because im not use to it.

Wow. My gym only goes up to 125, and I can hit them for 12 solid reps. I'm dying to try 130's or even 140's. What does your gym go up to?

150lbs

From 100 ro 150lbs it goes up in ten pound intervals.

My gym DID have Dbs that went up to 150lbs in 5lb intervals, but since they wanted NEW DBs, they left the good ones behind.

My gym sucks. Other than the DBs, really, it sucks.

yeah i have the reverse effect. when i was bulking i was doing 3 sets of 10 with the 100lb dbs but i was only able to get 225 8 times on the bb

My max bench in the past 6 months has gotten around 335 or so. But I decided to go with some DB's for a short bit and had a hard time with 100's! And I can remember back about 4 years ago whenever my max was around 305 and I was incline pressing 105 lbs DB's.

So obviuously no way of telling.

My max bench in the past 6 months has gotten around 335 or so. But I decided to go with some DB's for a short bit and had a hard time with 100's! And I can remember back about 4 years ago whenever my max was around 305 and I was incline pressing 105 lbs DB's.

So obviuously no way of telling.

wow that is very telling. I'd say most dudes I see working the 70lb DB and up are benching 225lb and up. From there its hard to call and seems to skew more.

wow that is very telling. I'd say most dudes I see working the 70lb DB and up are benching 225lb and up. From there its hard to call and seems to skew more.

Id say repping 70lb DBs + 225lb max bench would be as even steven as youd see. Of course, I am going by my own speculation, but thats about the most balanced ive heard.

Back