• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Oral sex linked to throat cancer

min0 lee

Elite Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Think it was hard to convince her before?

A virus contracted through oral sex is the cause of some throat cancers, say US scientists.

HPV infection was found to be a much stronger risk factor than tobacco or alcohol use, the Johns Hopkins University study of 300 people found.

The New England Journal of Medicine study said the risk was almost nine times higher for people who reported oral sex with more than six partners.

But experts said a larger study was needed to confirm the findings.

HPV infection is the cause of the majority of cervical cancers, and 80% of sexually active women can expect to have an HPV infection at some point in their lives.

The Johns Hopkins study took blood and saliva from 100 men and women newly diagnosed with oropharyngeal cancer which affects the throat, tonsils and back of the tongue.

They also asked questions about sex practices and other risk factors for the disease, such as family history.

Those who had evidence of prior oral HPV infection had a 32-fold increased risk of throat cancer.

HPV16 - one of the most common cancer-causing strains of the virus - was present in the tumours of 72% of cancer patients in the study.

Risk factors
There was no added risk for people infected with HPV who also smoked and drank alcohol, suggesting the virus itself is driving the risk of the cancer.

Oral sex was said to be the main mode of transmission of HPV but the researchers said mouth-to-mouth transmission, for example through kissing, could not be ruled out.

Most HPV infections clear with little or no symptoms but a small percentage of people who acquired high-risk strains may develop a cancer, the researchers added.

Study author Dr Gypsyamber D'Souza said: "It is important for health care providers to know that people without the traditional risk factors of tobacco and alcohol use can nevertheless be at risk of oropharyngeal cancer."

Co-researcher Dr Maura Gillison said previous research by the team had suggested there was a strong link.

But she added: "People should be reassured that oropharyngeal cancer is relatively uncommon and the overwhelming majority of people with an oral HPV infection probably will not get throat cancer."

A vaccine which protects against cervical cancer caused by HPV strains 6, 11, 16 and 18, and also against genital warts is available and the researchers said the study provided a rationale for vaccinating both girls and boys.

But whether the vaccine would protect against oral HPV infection is not yet known.

Dr Julie Sharp, science information officer at Cancer Research UK, said: "There is conflicting evidence about the role of HPV, and this rare type of mouth cancer.

"As this was a small study, further research is needed to confirm these observations."

"We know that after age, the main causes of mouth cancer are smoking or chewing tobacco or betel nut, and drinking too much alcohol."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6639461.stm

Small price to pay!

Yeah, and next sex will cause testicular, and cervical cancer.

What a silly article. It's like saying having sex increases the chance of contracting STDs.

Yeah haven't people already known there are a myriad diseases transferred through oral sex?

Reports of a 90% higher risk in people who have had oral sex with more than 6 partners? COME ON of course your risk is going to be higher the more partners you have... that's like saying the risk of my parachute failing is higher than John Doe's because I've gone skydiving more than he has.

drinking a can of coke probably leads to throat or stomach cancer.....when is the last time a doctor told someone "you have mouth cancer due to sucking too many dicks in your day, or eating too much snatch".....just cause you have HPV doesn't mean you got it orally...I would say 99% of people get it from straight SEX.... What is next from the medical journal? Having a penis is linked to prostate cancer? :lol:

I thought oral was good for you?
Does me wonders.

I had one boyfriend who used to come to the gym with me. And I'd always buy a protein drink and he'd be like "Don't buy that shit, I'LL give you a protein drink"

That joke is so old. I can't even count how many times I'd be mixing up a shake at work and some dumbass would be like "I'll give you some protein Max" and grab his crotch or some dumb shit like that.

I'll usually say something like "well can you shoot oats and berries out of that thing chief?"

I guess you'll truly never know

I'll let you know Akira

good thing my girl hasnt read that article........... naw it dont matter.

I find it interesting that it said it was more of a risk factor then tobacco. *OUCH*

I can't see eating pussy puts a man at higher risk of throat cancer then if he chews or smokes...

Back