• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Thomas 21st player to join 500-home run club

min0 lee

Elite Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
He could have easily had more.

ESPN - Big Hurt gets road ovation for hitting No. 500 - MLB

Associated Press

MINNEAPOLIS -- Frank Thomas hit his 500th home run Thursday, routinely putting his head down as he rounded the bases while joining one of baseball's most elite clubs.

Thomas became the 21st major leaguer to reach the career mark, a milestone that has usually meant an eventual spot in the Hall of Fame.

Toronto's designated hitter hit a three-run shot in the first inning, connecting against Minnesota's Carlos Silva and sending a 1-2 pitch an estimated 396 feet into the left-field stands.

Todd Eisenlohr, sitting in the fifth row and wearing a jersey of Twins player Jason Bartlett, caught the ball in his glove.

"I lost it in the roof as it was coming down," Eisenlohr said. He said he traded the souvenir ball for an autographed ball, bat and jersey.

[FONT=verdana, arial, geneva][/FONT]

The Metrodome crowd gave Thomas a standing ovation.
The two-time American League MVP took his home run trot and then pointed toward the suites down the right-field line when he crossed the plate as Toronto players spilled out of the dugout to congratulate him.

That Thomas did it in the Metrodome was fitting. He hit his first career home run at the ballpark against Gary Wayne while with the Chicago White Sox on Aug. 28, 1990. Thomas has 16 homers overall at the stadium.

The 39-year-old Thomas is in his first season with the Blue Jays. He played last year in Oakland.

Next on Thomas' ascent on the career home run list are Eddie Murray (504), Mel Ott (511) and Ernie Banks and Eddie Mathews (512 each). Also within reach of 500 this year are Alex Rodriguez, Jim Thome and Manny Ramirez.

Thomas entered Thursday with four home runs in his previous 10 games. He has 13 this season. This was his second lifetime homer off Silva.

The Big Hurt has hit 50 career homers against the Twins, his most against any team and the most by an active player against Minnesota. Rocky Colavito hit 52 against the Twins and Mickey Mantle and Reggie Jackson each hit 51.

The seventh overall pick by the White Sox in 1989, Thomas spent 16 years in Chicago and established many franchise bests, including 448 home runs, 1,465 RBIs and 3,949 total bases. His .427 on-base percentage and .568 slugging percentage are also franchise bests.

But an injured ankle limited Thomas to 108 games in his final two seasons and led to a falling-out with the team.

After joining Oakland as a free agent, Thomas hit 39 home runs and drove in 114 runs last year in helping the A's reach the AL championship series. He signed with the Blue Jays as a free agent on Nov. 17, 2006.

Yeah I missed it :(

Why couldn't he hit it one of the last four games?

Pretty cool that his 1st career homerun was hit in Minny and his 500th.

Then he got the boot for arguing balls and strikes LOL

Last edited:
Big night last night. Craig Biggio also hit career hit #3000

Thomas must be the 1st player to get his 500th HR and then get thrown out in the same game. He argued over a call that was CLEARLY a strike. It was right down the middle of the plate!

So the question: Does he go into the hall now?

too bad he had to leave Oakland

You got to love that despite hitting his 500th which is a remarkable personal feat, he was still jawing and doing all he could to get his team a W.

That is true. So does the same go for Fred McGriff? His lifetime average is around .285.

IML Gear Cream!
Thomas. Yes! If he keeps hitting like he is, he won't have a .300 career average by the end of the season.

McGriff, No! not in the 500 club. .284 BA.

Hes got like 490! I think that gets him into the hall!

nope. I don't think he should get in on homeruns alone.

.284 BA is not Hall worthy.

What about 490 and the world knows hes clean!

Frank Thomas is in the Hall, I think.

Yes they should simply because a leadoff hitter doesnt hit for power, but if he has a career average for 15 years of 320 he makes the hall, and thats because he knew his roll. His roll is hit for average, McGriff's is to hit for power.

The Crime Dog fights crime, he doesn't commit them. He didn't take steroids.

Yes they should simply because a leadoff hitter doesnt hit for power, but if he has a career average for 15 years of 320 he makes the hall, and thats because he knew his roll. His roll is hit for average, McGriff's is to hit for power.

That is fine. I think the Hall is too lenient on who gets in. I don't think players with one stat hall worthy should be inducted.

He was a good player. I loved him with the Jays. Good steal from the Yanks.

Bravos? Oh god are you a Braves fan?!?!?!

I liked em when they had Chipper, Gant, and McGriff. While chipper is still there the others werent. I also liked Smoltz, Avery, Glavine, and Maddux. Now that was a staff! And Wohlers as their closer.....they were good!

Almost as good as the Jays :D

Now that was a team :p

Didnt the Jays beat em that year? Wasnt it Carter with a walk off homer?

The Walk-off was against the Phillies in '93. Basically ended the Career of Mitch Williams who was meant to be a great closer.

Thats right! I was rooting for the Jays. I think I was about 11. haha.

Braves have had alot of bad postseasons! Remember the Yankee catcher ( Jim Leritz) hitting a homer off of Wohlers....I think that marked the end of his career.

He threw the guy a slider instead of his best pitch and got burnt on it. The freakin guy threw 98-100mph! Why throw a slider!

So 500+ hr insure a place in the hall of fame anymore?

Back