• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

stock help

danny81

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
ive been saving up a few hundred dollars for a while now to invest in stocks. any good safe sstocks i should invest in that most likely wont change much. so i can make a few bucks? i dont want to risk to much YET because i have been saving this for half a year

get a paper.. and follow some stocks in there. say you have 10k and pick the ones you think will do good. check it every week and see how it goes, thats what i would do. homework

A few hundred dollars isn't enough to get you into stock trading. With that small amount, you won't survive a single bout of bad luck.

But it's good that your thinking about investing, especially at a young age.

Take the time to learn the world of finance. Don't rush into it. Your local library should give you plenty to read.

If you need to ask us that, then you shouldn't invest yet - the stock market isn't something to take lightly as it can cost you a lot of money.

That said, I feel the minimum amount to invest in any stock is 500$, but that's just an arbitrary number I chose. I just feel that any less and the stock won't ever really move enough to justify the risk, not to mention the commission becomes substantial on small trades over time.

Take 20$ of that 300$ you've saved and buy "Real Money" by Jim Cramer. I've learned a lot by reading that book - I actually need to go read it again.

If you want safe, stocks probably aren't your best choice. Mutual funds are safer... but you might not be able to get into any with only a few hundred dollars.

Why would you want a stock that won't change much?

How much do you have to invest? It's hard to do stocks with a few hundred. A few thousand is much better.

Personally I just watch some stocks that make money and look for relatively low price per earning ratios. When I find a combination of a low PE, a company that makes money and is trading lower than I believe it should, I buy some shares and immediately put a sell order for more than I bought it at.

For example:

On Sept 17th I bought CFC (CountryWide) for $19. I immediately placed a sell order for $21.25 that went through on Sept 19th. Then I rebought it at $18.17 yesterday and I currently have a sell order for $20.25

I also like buying FLEX every time it goes below $11.00 and selling it when it goes above $11.50

Sometimes the stock jumps up and I can dump it in a couple days. Other times it goes down but since I believe in the company (or in CFC's case, I believe the financial institutions will not let CFC fail), I will hold onto it until it rebounds.

Because I keep my portfolio diversified, I can afford to hold onto some of these for 6 months or longer if they drop instead of taking the loss.

put your money in a money market fund

I recomend using Forex to trade in money markets and futures. A child could figure it out.

Best investment for someone your age is an education or at least a pair of pants that fit....

Save for college and read up on Investing, and Stocks. Do you have a savings account? Invest in yourself and you will reap the rewards. You can join are game here and practice and see how volitile the market is for yourself.

Ironmag game= http://www.ironmagazineforums.com/open-chat/83368-ironmag-investment-club-thread.html

Peter Lynch says

1. Only invest what you can afford to lose

otherwise its not worth losing sleep over

Put your money in grammar lessons, it will be the greatest investment you could make. ;)

Definitely open up a high yield online savings account though. I personally use HSBC - 4.5% APY (It was 5.05% - goddamn rate cut, who needs a "good economy" :()

It's almost like having your cash in a permanent and very liquid CD that has a pretty good yield.

Some other good ones I know of are ING Direct and I think Orange County Savings or something. I've used HSBC my entire life though, and I can definitely say that their web based tools are great.

Back