• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Sticking Bench Press

ians

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
I have a problem which im sure at lot of you have had and possibly overcome ??? so I need your help.

My Bench has been stuck at 220 x 10 reps for to long !

Does anyone know of any effective - tried and tested method of getting over this plateau ?

Ive tried such Training methods as ??? 5x5 method, pyramiding, reverse pyramiding etc But to no avail !!!

HELP !!

What is ur current chest routine ? and how long have you / will you be using it ?

Also, Your training split would be helpful

Drop your reps and increase your weight.

Originally posted by Sub-Zero
What is ur current chest routine ? and how long have you / will you be using it ?

Also, Your training split would be helpful

Chest Routine

Week 1
Flat Bench Press - 3 x 10
Incline / Decline Bench Press (alternate each week) - 3 x 10
Flat Bench Dumbbell Flys - 3 x 10

Week 2
As above - but 5 x 10,8,6,6,6

Week 3
Back to - 3 x 10 ..........and so on

Training Split :- (i train 4 days a week on a 3 day split)

Monday - Chest, Biceps & Abs
Tuesday - Rest
Wednesday - Back & Triceps
Thursday - Rest
Friday - Shoulders, legs & Abs
Saturday - Rest
Sunday - (Repeat) - so Chest, Biceps & Abs
Monday - Back & Triceps..............and so on

I have just finished this 6 week programme !

Honestly speaking, there's much to improve.

1. Legs & Shoulders should NEVER be on the same day. They are both major bodyparts and need a seperate day of themselves.

2. I don't really see any dumbell bench presses. This would build your stabiliser muscles to a greater extent thereby promoting more strength within them.

I have a feeling your stablisers and possibly your shoulders are the reason for your bench not increasing.

Personally, I RARELY do flat bench. I'm more of a incline / decline man and more dumbell work then barbell. Try out dumbells for a few weeks then when you return to barbell work you'll notice a difference in strength.

Honestly speaking, there's much to improve.

1. Legs & Shoulders should NEVER be on the same day. They are both major bodyparts and need a seperate day of themselves.

2. I don't really see any dumbell bench presses. This would build your stabiliser muscles to a greater extent thereby promoting more strength within them.

I have a feeling your stablisers and possibly your shoulders are the reason for your bench not increasing.

Personally, I RARELY do flat bench. I'm more of a incline / decline man and more dumbell work then barbell. Try out dumbells for a few weeks then when you return to barbell work you'll notice a difference in strength.

Thanks for the response Sub-Zero !

I alternate between Barbells and Dumbbells every 6-8 weeks, just to make things different - and in the past this has helped me get my bench to where it is now ! However, now i just cant seem to improve !! Hence why i have asked if there are any alternative training methods i could use ??? Any Suggestions ??

Also - for future reference - why shouldnt Legs & Shoulders be trained on the same day ??

Legs is a HUGE muscle group and IF you train it intensely enough (heavy squats, etc ...) you would'nt even have the energy to do shoulders.

Also, the shoulder / trap complex are a very complicated and important muscle group. Shoulders make you BIG !! and give the all essential V-Taper. This is why it's important to set it aside it's own day so it can get fully worked.

Lastly, the best time limit for a w/o is 45-60 mins. I hav NO idea how you can fit shoulders, legs, calves, possibly traps AND abs within that time slot ??

Legs is a HUGE muscle group and IF you train it intensely enough (heavy squats, etc ...) you would'nt even have the energy to do shoulders.

Also, the shoulder / trap complex are a very complicated and important muscle group. Shoulders make you BIG !! and give the all essential V-Taper. This is why it's important to set it aside it's own day so it can get fully worked.

Lastly, the best time limit for a w/o is 45-60 mins. I hav NO idea how you can fit shoulders, legs, calves, possibly traps AND abs within that time slot ??

I hear what your saying Sub - ideally i would like to do legs and shoulders on seperate days - the only problem is - i can only get to the gym on those 4 nights - due to work and family commitments !!

Any suggestions on how i could change my Training split ??

4 nights ? Simple ...

Shoulders & Traps

Back & Forearms + Triceps OR Biceps

Chest & Biceps OR Triceps

Legs & Calves

Do abs at home

IML Gear Cream!
Thanks for that Sub - i like it !
Although i think we have digressed from the initial problem !! Any suggestions on that 1 ??

6-8 weeks is TOO far apart to make a difference. You need to alter your routine every 2-3 weeks.

Also, I would ease off barbell bench for 3-4 weeks while you work on dumbells and machine work

what are you doing for triceps ?

Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy
Drop your reps and increase your weight.

I agree, assuming your tri's and shoulders arn't holding you back.
Switching for BB to DB really helped to up my bench.

How do you bench, with elbows tucked or with elbows flared out? What kind of grip are you using?

OMG..I just looked at that routine, no wonder you bench has plateaued.

Where did you come up with that terrible routine ?

there are some things that don't need to be sugar coated...

Yes yes, switch to to DB, and look into TUT (Time Under Tension).
Here's something LAM posted on another thread you may find useful.

I've been using some static contraction principles for over 10 years now. manly on certain compound exercises (bench, military, close grip and others). I broke many strength plateaus by using them and believe the methods helped my to become a member of the 2,000 lb PL'er club...

however for hypertrophy, I'm still out to lunch on that one...
So maybe look into Static Contractions

Last edited:
After your comments i had a discussion with a Friend (a previous Junior Mr Universe Winner) who has helped me revise my routine to the following :-

Monday - Chest, Triceps & Abs
Tuesday - Rest
Wednesday - Back & Biceps
Thursday - Rest
Friday - Shoulders, Traps & Abs
Saturday - Rest
Sunday - Legs & Calfs

He told me to do Abs between sets if i find i dont have time at the end of my workouts !!

To get over the 'Sticking point' with my BP he recommended using heavier weights and do 3 x 6 reps, but NO more than 9 HEAVY SETS per bodypart/per week - and also switch between BB and DB every 3 weeks !!

I would still like to hear of any other TRAINING METHODS i could use in the future to overcome sticking points ??

Train your tris after chest so they are ready and powerful when you get to your next bench day. The thing that was holding my bench back was definately my tris, they would shake a lot when under any stress, here is the tris mass and strength routine I did after my chest workout (once a week):

no real warm-up needed b/c tris are already warm from chest workout
-dips to 90degrees with added weight 3sets of 5reps
-skull crushers 3sets of 6-8
-pushdowns 1 triple drop set starting with a weight you can do for 6-8 reps

Originally posted by powerrack
Train your tris after chest so they are ready and powerful when you get to your next bench day. The thing that was holding my bench back was definately my tris, they would shake a lot when under any stress, here is the tris mass and strength routine I did after my chest workout (once a week):

no real warm-up needed b/c tris are already warm from chest workout
-dips to 90degrees with added weight 3sets of 5reps
-skull crushers 3sets of 6-8
-pushdowns 1 triple drop set starting with a weight you can do for 6-8 reps

I have had problems with my tri's - in that they have become weaker !

However, i did my new chest and triceps routine on Monday and managed a PB on scrull crushers (40lbs on each side of an EZ bar for 3 sets of 6-8 reps) and god did they hurt !!!

if your triceps have gotten weaker that is a sure sign of over-training...

I would not do any direct tricep work for a last a good week or so.

what is your new routine ?

Originally posted by LAM
if your triceps have gotten weaker that is a sure sign of over-training...

I would not do any direct tricep work for a last a good week or so.

what is your new routine ?

My new Chest and Tricep routine :-

Flat Bench Dumbbell Press - 3 x 6
Incline Dumbbell Press - 3 x 6
Flat Bench Dumbbell Fly - 3 x 6
Close Grip Bench Press - 3 x 6
Scull crushers - 3 x 6
Weighted Dips - 2 x 10

Back