• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Wide-Grip Benchpress?

motionman04

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
I wanted to try wide-grip benchpressing but had some questions. Does it work purely the chest and take triceps out of it? How wide of a grip is recommended for this and do you go down all the way?

Triceps are still involved just a reduced load on them. As wide as you feel comfortable. Going all the way down can be tricky depending how wide you are, have a spotter.

I developed a habit of doing burnouts with wide grips after I finish my flat benches.
Good or bad I like them.

I was thinking about trying it for a couple of weeks in the westside routine, I don't plan to use it every week though.

I developed a habit of doing burnouts with wide grips after I finish my flat benches.
Good or bad I like them.

Hmm...:thinking: I wanna try that. Nice one.

I always did bench press wide gripped, and dumbell press narrower. I felt WG hit my chest more effectively (and believed it made it fuller at the outer/lower areas). However, apparently it can play havoc with your rotator cuffs, but I've never had a problem. Just make sure you're warmed up and your form's faultless.

Good or bad I like them.

I've actually done that before. I did it the other day.

I think going excessively wide is unnecessary. Some powerlifters have mentioned success with illegal wide bench presses, but many of those same powerlifters have trashed their shoulders throughout the years. As well, in terms of muscle development, usually shortening the range of motion is not beneficial (Though you can certainly use it to your advantage sometimes).

As well, you cannot take the triceps and shoulders out of the bench press.

It scares me to think of my shoulder getting trashed while lifting. I don't a shoulder that's trashed (at any age!).

Am I better off just avoiding wide grip bench presses?

IML Gear Cream!
It scares me to think of my shoulder getting trashed while lifting. I don't a shoulder that's trashed (at any age!).

Am I better off just avoiding wide grip bench presses?

Depends how wide you are talking. It also depends on your body structure and tissue integrity. It's virtually impossible for me to answer that. Just use common sense and don't go uncomfortably wide in an attempt to activate the chest more. If you want to do that, then just use dumbbells instead.

I tried 'em today. Interesting. Different from what I expected. I can't explain what I felt exactly, but it was definitely different.

I think I'll treat them as one of those nice alternatives that are open to me to shake things up a bit. It definitely hits a new area. More around the outside (like it says above).

Fun though. :)

I should add that I go light when going wide, I actually use the same weight for wide grips that I use to warm up with the regular bench.

so should i avoid wide grip bench because ive had surgery on my right shoulder and im pretty sure my left shoulder is trashed at this point

so should i avoid wide grip bench because ive had surgery on my right shoulder and im pretty sure my left shoulder is trashed at this point

That would probably be a smart idea.

Back