• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Need Advice with Diet 42 years old high cholesterol

TonyD

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Hi All,
I would appreciate advice on fat and cholesterol from the bodybuilding/ weight training perspective. I am 42 years old now and I have been a member here since 2006. I took about a year off from training when I had a career change last year. I gained about 25 lbs of fat. I am at 222 lbs right now. I went from about 9 or 10 percent to I dont even want to know right now. Anyway, I went for a physical recently and discovered I had high cholesterol at 268 and I also have high Triglcyerides at 319. I know I have been eating like crap and drinking too much wine the last year but now I am ready to eat healthy. I am back to weight training and have adjusted my meals to 5 or 6 a day eating balanced meals 40/40/30. This time because of my high cholesterol I am eating much less saturated fats, much more vegetables and oats. My main questions are:
1. I want to get back my strength and endurance to where I was a year ago but now I have to be concerned about my cholesterol. I had good results last year with trying to eat 200g of protein each day. Should I adjust my protein down to reduce my cholesterol or not worry about it?
2. I believe last year at my biggest, I was consuming 3000 calories a day on average and maintaining. Should I start my diet at 3000 calories and see how how it responds or should I start lower because of less muscle? I want to cut but that my muscles will respond quickly this first month back.

Thanks,
Tony

Hi Tony. The way to dramatically reduce your serum triglycerides is to dramatically cut down your intake of sugary & starchy carbs. Eat enough carbs to fuel your workouts but no more. As your weight drops, your cholesterol will come down.

You don't need to go as low as the sedentary fatties in THIS study. Check out Figs 3, 4 & 6.

To convert from mmol/L (EU) to mg/dL (US), multiply cholesterol figures by 38.7, triglyceride figures by 88.5 and glucose figures by 18.

Cheers, Nige.

Wow Nig long time no see. Nice to see you around again.

I think you should first get your cholesterol under control. Apart from eating oats, which will reduce your cholesterol levels, you should implement flax seed oil - or better yet, flax seeds into your diet.

Well I hope things get better for you in the new year.

Thank you all for the advice. I bought some flax seed at CVS today and I am using Fitday to track my calories.
Are there any other programs that are better to track than Fitday? I have had that for a couple years and it is still version 1.

One more question: I would like to get my strength back and muscle size back as quick as possible. Would eating just under maint. hinder the return of my mass or should I eat alittle more than main for the next few month or so until I get the size I lost back and then concentrate on cutting until I get back to at least 10%. Or because of my high triglcerides just concentrate on losing the extra pounds first.

Fish oil caps for omega 3's are a must!

I would like to get my strength back and muscle size back as quick as possible. Would eating just under maint. hinder the return of my mass or should I eat alittle more than main for the next few month or so until I get the size I lost back and then concentrate on cutting until I get back to at least 10%. Or because of my high triglcerides just concentrate on losing the extra pounds first.
Eat ~500-1000kcal/day under maintenance to lose your excess pounds first, but do resistance training with weights to preserve your existing muscle mass. As the flab goes, your total chol will reduce as per that study. Your total chol is only ~6.9mmol/L (in EU money), which gives you a low probability of having a heart attack in the next six months. Cheers, Nige.

IML Gear Cream!
Eat ~500-1000kcal/day under maintenance to lose your excess pounds first, but do resistance training with weights to preserve your existing muscle mass. As the flab goes, your total chol will reduce as per that study. Your total chol is only ~6.9mmol/L (in EU money), which gives you a low probability of having a heart attack in the next six months. Cheers, Nige.

And if cholesterol isn't going down, have your testosterone levels tested. The body needs cholesterol to produce testosterone. If it can't produce the required amounts, the liver will produce more cholesterol. And if that still isn't enough to produce the required amount of testosterone, the liver will produce even more cholesterol, ...

Back