• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

2008 Toronto Blue Jays

min0 lee

Elite Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Blue Jays believe this is their year

Sunday, March 2nd 2008, 4:00 AM
DUNEDIN, Fla. - With a new season at hand, managers will all tell you it's good to have players who have something to prove. Incentive is always the best ingredient for winning and, assuming that's so, the Toronto Blue Jays are loaded this year.
Indeed, Blue Jays manager John Gibbons has a wealth of players trying to redefine themselves and, as he puts it, "We've got a lot of guys here who play with an edge."
Here are the hungry Blue Jays:
  • Center fielder Vernon Wells, their franchise player, wants to prove the offseason surgery on his shoulder has restored him to the force that earned him a seven-year, $126 million deal a year ago.
  • Shortstop David Eckstein, who had to settle for a one-year, $4.5 million contract this winter, wants to make his former employers, the St. Louis Cardinals, regret not making an effort to re-sign him after he hit .309 in 117 games as their only legitimate leadoff man last year.
  • Eckstein's fellow Cardinal mate, third baseman Scott Rolen, merely wants to stick it to his former manager, Tony La Russa, with whom he feuded bitterly the last two years, by regaining his All-Star form after offseason shoulder surgery.
  • Left fielder Reed Johnson wants to prove he's fully recovered from back surgery and can once again be the player who hit .319 and led the Jays in hits, runs and doubles in 2006. He got further incentive when the Jays signed their former longtime outfield fixture Shannon Stewart to compete for a part of the left field job. Like Eckstein, Stewart also was rebuffed on a multiyear deal in the market this winter and fired his agent before accepting a minor league deal from the Jays.
  • No. 2 starter A.J. Burnett, though continually bothered by periodic shoulder soreness (that sidelined him twice in '07) is in the opt-out year of his five-year, $55 million contract.
  • Closer B.J. Ryan is coming back from elbow surgery and looking to regain his role from Jeremy Accardo, who performed a surprise rescue mission for the Jays in '07, saving 30 games in 35 appearances.
  • DH Frank Thomas, two years removed from the foot injury that nearly ended his career, isn't satisfied with just leading the Jays in homers (26), RBI (95) and on-base percentage (.377) as he did in '07. He's determined to have another vintage Hall-of-Fame season at age 40.
  • First baseman Lyle Overbay needs to show that the broken hand that sidelined him for six weeks in '07 is fully healed and that he's able to provide the Jays with the much-needed lefty power bat (in a predominantly righthanded lineup) he gave them in '06

• Dustin McGowan and Shaun Marcum, the No. 3 and 4 starters, are out to prove last year, in which they had 12 wins apiece, was real and that they are young righthanders who are only going to get better.
Is that enough?
"There's no question, we've got a lot of guys here with something to prove," said Jays GM J.P. Ricciardi, who is beginning to feel some heat from fans and media frustrated by the Jays' absence from the postseason since 1993. "There's so much you can do, and while I don't want to use injuries as an excuse, we had 12 surgeries last year. That's a lot. Because of that, we didn't think we'd be real active this winter and then all of a sudden these guys (Rolen, Eckstein, Stewart and all-purpose infielder Marco Scutaro) just became available. I'd have to say this the most depth we've had here since I've been GM."
All told, the Blue Jays last year had 13 different players go on the disabled list a total of 15 different times, including staff ace Roy Halladay, who equaled his 16 wins of the year before and led the majors in complete games with seven despite missing three starts with an appendectomy in May. And in Rolen (whom they acquired in a straight-up contract dumping deal for Troy Glaus) and Eckstein, they're bringing in a whole left side of the infield that missed a combined 98 games due to injuries in '07.
"This is a great club," said Eckstein, "but we have to prove we can stay healthy. I know I've got to prove myself again if I ever want to get another multi-year contract. It hurt me that the Cardinals never once talked to me."
"The best team I was on was the 1993 White Sox, who won 94 games and the division title," said Thomas. "This is a team that's definitely capable of that. With Vernon healthy and our pitching and hitting, this could be a dominant team."
It has not gone unnoticed by the Blue Jays that the Yankees, for the first time in more than a decade, aren't going into the season as locks for a playoff spot. With the Yankees banking heavily on two rookies, Phil Hughes and Ian Kennedy, in the rotation and the Red Sox counting on still-unproven Jon Lester and Clay Buchholz, Toronto's foursome, with workhorse ace Halladay at the top, may well be the deepest in the division in terms of proven quality.
"We're at the point where this is the best team I've had since I've been here," said Gibbons, who obviously isn't afraid to put the pressure to finally win in Toronto squarely on himself. "We're trying to live up to expectations we haven't been able to. Teams that win are strong 1-25 and that's what we're now able to do. We've brought in guys with an edge - Rolen, Eckstein, Stewart, Scutaro - and that's what we needed."
The Blue Jays appeared to have sufficient talent to compete with the Yankees and Red Sox the past two years, only to be devastated by injuries. At least this year anyway, they're more protected, with Stewart providing outfield insurance, Accardo having proven he can close if Ryan doesn't make it all the way back and Casey Janssen (2.35 ERA in 70 appearances) having emerged as a top set-up man.
"The sun is due to shine on us," said Gibbons, hopefully.

Of course this is all fiction, we all know the Yankees will win it.

I am really hopeful this year, but I have said that the last two years.

Guess I will have to wait and see.

I didn't think Canadians gave a shit about baseball
I thought the same too, especially because of what happened in Toronto.

Although I do remember they used to crazy over Rusty Staub in Canada. They used to call him Le Gran Orange.

IML Gear Cream!
Baseball is huge out west in BC, and on the east coast. It used to be huge here in Ontario, but soccer seems to be taking over.

Baseball has always been my #1 sport.

Remember the Jays of the early 90s first team to break 4 million in attendance for a season.

I didn't think Canadians gave a shit about baseball

The Expos took such a hit because of the strike year when they were atop of their division and had a good chance of winning the '94 World Series which unfortunately was never played.

Canada's had its troubles supporting teams of all sports (Expos, Grizzlies) but placed in the right market, they'll succeed.

The Jays took a hit from the strike years.. The strike pissed of a lot of fans here in Canada.... Including myself.

Toronto is the only market that can hold any major league franchise.

yahoo.com - Armando Benitez will attempt to salvage his career with the Blue Jays.

Benitez and the Blue Jays agreed to terms Tuesday on a minor league contract, as reported by Yahoo.com.

Once considered one of baseball’s most dominant closers, Benitez has been plagued by injuries and inconsistency over the last three seasons.

yahoo.com - Armando Benitez will attempt to salvage his career with the Blue Jays.

Benitez and the Blue Jays agreed to terms Tuesday on a minor league contract, as reported by Yahoo.com.

Once considered one of baseballâ??????s most dominant closers, Benitez has been plagued by injuries and inconsistency over the last three seasons.
He is bad. :finger:

Baseball is huge out west in BC, and on the east coast. It used to be huge here in Ontario, but soccer seems to be taking over.

Baseball has always been my #1 sport.

Growing up in Alberta, I never knew ANYONE that watched baseball

I don't think any pitchers have ever come back from a torn labrum.

IML Gear Cream!
I don't think any pitchers have ever come back from a torn labrum.

He's no Doc or A.J. but Casey Janssen was pretty solid last year.

Yep.

Torn Labrum is a biggie though. Pretty much a career ender.

Pretty much ended any serious ball I was playing about 12 years ago.

Hopefully on the path to getting it fixed now.

Assuming it is a SLAP tear, what I have been diagnosed with right now.

How'd it happen? Just overthrew or something?

I had a subluxation from playing hockey, which was probably never rehabbed properly. I was a pitcher, so there was a lot of wear and tear. So a combination of the two.

Makes sense.

Does it hinder your weight lifting at all?

Makes sense.

Does it hinder your weight lifting at all?

A little, shoulder is a little sloppy during pressing movements. or heavy curls. I don't really push it that heavy any more. The only real activity that bothers me is overhead activities. So Throwing, Volleyball, Tennis....even throwing a Frisbee. I am stupid though and still do these activities and just deal with the agonizing pain each time I push it.

A little, shoulder is a little sloppy during pressing movements. or heavy curls. I don't really push it that heavy any more. The only real activity that bothers me is overhead activities. So Throwing, Volleyball, Tennis....even throwing a Frisbee. I am stupid though and still do these activities and just deal with the agonizing pain each time I push it.

Aren't we all.

Opening Day officially starts today, Cause the Jays play :D

Back