• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

For those of you that work out in the early morning...

Miss LeDix

Sassy Lady!
Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
I wake up at approximately 4:40 AM five days a week to go to the gym before work. I am one of those people that has to eat before exercising, let me go ahead and say that first. That being said...what should I eat pre-workout? 'Real food'? A shake? A bar? I prefer something easy to prepare as I only have about 15 minutes to prepare and eat. I prefer something with some substance but not so filling as to make me feel to full to work out about thirty mintues after I eat.

Any ideas??

And for those of you that don't know me...female, about 5'5, hovering anywhere from 122 to 125 pounds.

Thanks!! I would love to hear some ideas from other early morning peeps! :D

at the minimum I would take 6 grams of BCAA's and about 20 grams of whey in water or juice...if you want to eat real food i would have several egg whites as they are quickly digested and maybe some orange juice (always w/ pulp).

Originally posted by LAM
at the minimum I would take 6 grams of BCAA's and about 20 grams of whey in water or juice...if you want to eat real food i would have several egg whites as they are quickly digested and maybe some orange juice (always w/ pulp).

Hi LAM..and thanks for replying! :D

I'm going to go ahead and show some ignorance now, and ask what exactly are BCAA's? :confused: I bought some Designer Whey strawberry powder for my husband to make shakes with, do you think that is a good type of whey to use for early morning pre-workout shakes? Egg whites and oj is an interesting suggestion...but I really must ask about the oj. I've been staying away from juice (even the unsweetened, not from concentrate) because of the calories and carbs.

Thoughts?

JMO...but I don't think the BCAA are necessary!

If it were me, I'd have a protein shake w/ flax and maybe oats.

Originally posted by w8lifter
JMO...but I don't think the BCAA are necessary!

If it were me, I'd have a protein shake w/ flax and maybe oats.

Hi w8! Don't you think a shake and oatmeal is too much food? Will wiegh too heavy in the tummy before a workout? I would rather choose one or the other, you know?

And you are way too pro-flax! I bought it once and almost gagged! :mad:

branched chain amino acids. they pass right through the digestive system and are metabolized directly by muscle tissue. I sugested fruit juice for the same reason, quick digestion and the sugar intake will also help fuel your muscles through the training session. any complex carbs ingested that close to the training session would do very little in terms of supplying energy due to the long digestion times...

anything that you eat that early in the morning will certainly get burned for energy...

Originally posted by LAM
branched chain amino acids. they pass right through the digestive system and are metabolized directly by muscle tissue. I sugested fruit juice for the same reason, quick digestion and the sugar intake will also help fuel your muscles through the training session. anything that you eat that early in the morning will certainly get burned for energy...

Are these BCAA's pills? And do you think the Designer Whey protien fits the bill for a pre-workout shake? Thanks!

yes, BCAA's are pills. and the whey would be fine as well..

the only problems with early am training is the catabolic state that the body is already in and cortisol levels are naturaly high ...what ever you decide to eat or drink needs to be quickly digestable...

Originally posted by Miss LeDix

Hi w8! Don't you think a shake and oatmeal is too much food? Will wiegh too heavy in the tummy before a workout? I would rather choose one or the other, you know?

And you are way too pro-flax! I bought it once and almost gagged! :mad:

Suck it up! ....no...just kidding :laugh: ....that's why I said maybe the oats...and if you don't like the flax you can always do 3 tbps of cream :D

Originally posted by LAM
yes, BCAA's are pills. and the whey would be fine as well..

the only problems with early am training is the catabolic state that the body is already in and cortisol levels are naturaly high ...what ever you decide to eat or drink needs to be quickly digestable...

I'm sort of anti-pill for now. I already take 17 a day for various issues. I totally agree with you that whatever I eat needds to be very digestable. I may have some egg whites and oj tomorrow. Thanks!

IML Gear Cream!

Suck it up! ....no...just kidding :laugh: ....that's why I said maybe the oats...and if you don't like the flax you can always do 3 tbps of cream :D

w8...if you had to type here the exact measurements for a early morning pre-workout shake, what would it be? How much water? How much protien? How much cream? I need specifics! Have you ever had the Designer Whey strawberry? That is what I have now.

Actually, I eat something a little sugary in the mornings when I work out ... I know I know, bad Earwax, however, I heard that by doing this you reduce the amount of coristol in the morning, which contributes to muscle catabolism.

w8...if you had to type here the exact measurements for a early morning pre-workout shake, what would it be? How much water? How much protien? How much cream? I need specifics! Have you ever had the Designer Whey strawberry? That is what I have now.

2 scoops designer whey...34 g protein
3 tbsp cream...15 g fat
1 cup water...nutin :p

2 scoops designer whey...34 g protein
3 tbsp cream...15 g fat
1 cup water...nutin :p

I am going to the market tomorrow...I will investigate the cream. This is in the dairy section, next to the milk, right?

Thanks for your help! :D

Originally posted by EarWax
Actually, I eat something a little sugary in the mornings when I work out ... I know I know, bad Earwax, however, I heard that by doing this you reduce the amount of coristol in the morning, which contributes to muscle catabolism.

Sugary like what? Not that I would do something like that...but I just want to live vicariously (sp?).... :p

I am going to the market tomorrow...I will investigate the cream. This is in the dairy section, next to the milk, right?

Thanks for your help! :D

Stats on the cream...50 kcals, .5 carbs, 5 g fat per tbsp..in the dairy section (carton). :D

Miss LeDix...also, consuming a small quantity of simple sugars prior to weight training has a glycogen sparing effect it will not effect your goals...

What LAM said, having some BCAA or some isolate and some dextrose will be good.

This way you'll be getting those nutrients at about the right time postworkout.

I keep it simple: A bowl of oatmeal before my morning workout.

IAB, no protien for you in the morning?

IML Gear Cream!
How long from the time you get up to you're in the gym? And is this the only workout during the day you have?

IAB, no protien for you in the morning?

I drink a big fat shake immediately after my workout. But I can not work out with a lot of food in my belly. It makes me feel bogged down and lethargic. I eat the oatmeal for the carbs and to keep my stomach satisfied for the hour I'm working out.

dg, I have about 45 minutes from when I wake up to when I am in the gym.

IAB, I can totally agree with that!

I get up around 4:00, make the day's meals, eat breakfast and head to a gym near my office. I eat a full breakfast, but I have about an hour commute, which gives me plenty of time to digest things. I may eventually switch to a gym near home, in which case I'll probaly cut back to a lighter preworkout meal, probably a whey shake with some flax.

I take BCAAs shortly before workout while cutting, but generally not otherwise. Taken in sufficient quantity, they get pretty expensive, pretty fast.

Damn, I'm glad I'm not the only Psycho who gets up at 4:40 to go workout.

dg, I have about 45 minutes from when I wake up to when I am in the gym.

IAB, I can totally agree with that!

I think the most important thing here is that since you've gone all night, you need to get some protein in your system first thing. Then if you feel like it after workout you can eat some oatmeal, apple or such. And I agree with lam...you need to get protein absorbed quickly....adding flax like w8 said will slow it. I think any other time of day is great! Comments W8???? And I would definately have to have something to give me some energy to get me through my workout that early.....Be it a fat burner or OJ!

Originally posted by dg806

I think the most important thing here is that since you've gone all night, you need to get some protein in your system first thing. Then if you feel like it after workout you can eat some oatmeal, apple or such. And I agree with lam...you need to get protein absorbed quickly....adding flax like w8 said will slow it. I think any other time of day is great! Comments W8???? And I would definately have to have something to give me some energy to get me through my workout that early.....Be it a fat burner or OJ!

What works for one person won't necessarily work for another. If I eat a large breakfast then head to the gym, I will cramp up like a mofo and my workouts will suffer tremendously. I live five minutes from my gym. If my body has gone all night without eating, it can wait another hour until after my workout.

Originally posted by I Are Baboon

What works for one person won't necessarily work for another. If I eat a large breakfast then head to the gym, I will cramp up like a mofo and my workouts will suffer tremendously. I live five minutes from my gym. If my body has gone all night without eating, it can wait another hour until after my workout.

Yes it can wait, but you don't realize how much damage you are doing to your muscle....everything you gain lifting is lost due to the catabolic state your body is in....and I am not saying eat a ton...maybe a couple eggs or maybe a good whey protein shake to replenish your muscles while you workout, then eat later...
I am the same way about eating before workout...but luckily I don't have that problem since I workout at lunch! I usaully have several eggs and whey about 6 in the morning then a chicken breast and whey at 9:30 - 10:00. Then workout at 12:00 to about 1:30 then eat lunch.....

IAB...in regards to this sport unless you are a genetic freak nutritional requirements are the same for everyone if you want to make the best gains possible. the only differences would be the portions and/or sources...

Originally posted by LAM
IAB...in regards to this sport unless you are a genetic freak nutritional requirements are the same for everyone if you want to make the best gains possible. the only differences would be the portions and/or sources...

Lam...are you saying eating is important also first thing in the morning?

Back