• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Old man gets hit by car - people just stand around and cars drive on by. . .

kbm8795

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
A 78-year-old man was hit by a car on this Hartford, Connecticut street by a vehicle driving on the wrong side of the road - and was just left laying in the street while most vehicles moved right along. Some people stopped and gawked for a moment- a few approached and just stood there looking down at him (maybe they were wondering how to lift his wallet). . .A scooter comes by and just circles the man once before moving on.

Notice the next car coming in the lane where the man is laying on the street. The fucker stops a good distance away, like he/she is trying to figure out WTF to do - and then, TURNS AROUND and drives off, like the body in the street is a damn inconvenient street barrier. . .amazing.

YouTube Video

That's pretty messed up.
Reminds me of a Sienfield episode where a fat guy gets mugged and Sienfield and gang do nothing about it.

Here's the TV news story about it. Gee....seems like people don't mind getting on television to talk about it - makes me wonder what was wrong with the dipshits standing and driving around like the man was nothing more than a pothole.

YouTube Video

Don't know why everyone is so surprised. Its rather common I think its called the bystander effect/genoves syndrome, something like that. Look it up and the lady its named after. Too lazy and tired to explain.

Don't know why everyone is so surprised. Its rather common I think its called the bystander effect/genoves syndrome, something like that. Look it up and the lady its named after. Too lazy and tired to explain.

What a stupid rationalization. We need a SYNDROME to explain selfish, unsympathetic assholes??

Now I can put a name to the incident (Genoves), this has happened more than once in recent history. I seem to remember something about a woman pushed over a bridge where 70 people watched and did nothing to help, I think even some joined in. In groups, some people respond to 'stress' in a very shitty manner.

Yeah man split second responses where someone gets killed or hit in the span inside 20 or so seconds is one thing and shock and surprise and all that. Driving up to a human being in the street as they lay there suffering and pulling a u-turn...holy fuck, that is so inconceivable.

I didn't watch the video though so I can't really pass judgment, just going on everyones commentary. Can't stomach watching it honestly.

I'd imagine people were probably in shock, bystanders can be distressed as well especially if theres blood. And the car that stopped and turned around is much better than having a traffic jam holding up an ambulance trying to rush to the scene, it's better to get out of the way than to add to the congestion. I mean the majority of the people in our country aren't trained in emergency first aid, I know that I handle situations like that very well and I had the training in the Navy to be able to spring into action. I guarantee probably 75% of those people were on their cellphones to 911....

Can't stomach watching it honestly.

Ditto. Watching it would make me too damned angry.

Whats wrong with people?

Shit, about a year ago i was rushing to get a train and some old guy walking past me dropped a bunch of change and could barely pick it up, i felt like absolute crap because i couldn't stop to help him - i literally made the last train home as it was getting ready to go.

How do people live with themselves after something like THIS?

Seriously, what has happened in the world for this kind of response to occur in the face of human suffering?

I bet my right nut that if it was a dog, twenty people would have carried it to a vet. Thats how fucking backwards society is right now.

Yep, that's the one...Paych 101 standard example.

"Catherine Susan Genovese (July 7, 1935[1] â?????? March 13, 1964), commonly known as Kitty Genovese, was a New York City woman who was stabbed to death near her home in the Kew Gardens section of Queens, New York.[3] The circumstances of her murder and the apparent reaction of her neighbors were reported by a newspaper article published two weeks later and prompted investigation into the psychological phenomenon that became known as the bystander effect or "Genovese syndrome".[4] Kitty was buried in a family grave at Lakeview Cemetery in New Canaan, Connecticut."

Personally, I don't get it. I have always stopped for every accident if no first responders were there. Broken up fights, defended the innoncent, but seriously.
I'll never forget the time my co-worker and I were going down I-95 to a job. I noticed a large group of cars and people in the median. A Big Rig had flipped over after clipping a bridge...tore the trailer in half. The cab was upside down and twisted, the driver was still strapped in, up side down and barely conscious, and his partner was trapped inside the sleeper. When we got out, I remembered feeling shocked at the fact that all of these people were simply standing there, staring. They all had cell phones, but nobody was calling anybody. I walked up to the cab and talked to the driver...long story short, I checked his vitals and talked to the guy trapped in the sleeper, who was fine. Anyway, after we cracked the door on the sleeper, etc...
I turned around and asked if anyone had called 911.....deer in the headlights. They just stood there...about ten of them. I got pissed, and told all of them that the show was over, and if they couldn't help in some way to just get the fuck out. Most did, like scorned children...idiots.

Psychological phenom or not, people are selfish bastards.

IML Gear Cream!
What a stupid rationalization. We need a SYNDROME to explain selfish, unsympathetic assholes??

I am sure you didn't even read what the SYNDROME is. It makes perfect sense, its not always the case but the majority of people who witness something like this when there are several other witnesses will be in shock and think someone else will just call for help. That is the most basic explanation, I recommend you read about it before commenting. A lot of times there is someone with there head screwed on straight who does call for help but sometimes a "perfect storm" occurs where one of these people aren't present and you get a situation like this.

Have you ever seen what the aftermath of something like that looks like? I mean close up right in your face? Its doubtful.

Last edited:
I am sure you didn't even read what the SYNDROME is. It makes perfect sense, its not always the case but the majority of people who witness something like this when there are several other witnesses will be in shock and think someone else will just call for help. That is the most basic explanation, I recommend you read about it before commenting. A lot of times there is someone with there head screwed on straight who does call for help but sometimes a "perfect storm" occurs where one of these people aren't present and you get a situation like this.

I was going to post something similar but said fuck it.

Doesn't surprise me one bit, especially in a big city.

Have you ever seen what the aftermath of something like that looks like? I mean close up right in your face? Its doubtful.

How about the time about 80 people burned to death in a restaurant? Everyone saw smoke coming from the kitchen, and smelled the smoke. Yet they all just sat there. No one else was reacting to, so why should they? Plus, how many people really die in a restaurant fire? Those were there thoughts.

People like to think they'd act like Superman if something goes down, but it's doesn't always happen quite like that.

I've heard things like this happening, like once i heard of a cruise ship taking on water, and they were trying to evacuate people before the thing sank, but the people would just sit there like statues staring into space.

At the time they werent really in a huge amount of danger because there was some time left and plenty of life boats, but they were still completely paralysed.

I don't think i'd be a superhero in that situation and save the day, but i like to think id have the mental capacity to get myself out of there at least.

Its weird. Self preservation instincts are among the highest of all our primal compulsions, but yet in the face of our own mortality even something that ingrained into a person's psyche is just shut down.

Yep, that's odd stuff. Goes to the "fight or flight" response.

I think in such cases, due to the very primal instincts you mentioned, people tend to "play opossum". In fact, a Doctor told me once that this is the reason many people have minor convulsions when they pass out due to a minor trauma. Based on the "primal" thang, it came in handy to play dead or dying when persued by a predator.

ya that vid is messed up i saw it at work this morning on the news. i was really worried bout you mr. damayor. thought maybe you got hit. any way you would truly be surprised how many times people will watch violent crime or tragedy and do nothing. i dont understand it at all. also yes i have been in that scenario a time or two, and did react correctly. learned crisis manegment crap along time ago due to a situation i should have responded to and didnt.

ya that vid is messed up i saw it at work this morning on the news. i was really worried bout you mr. damayor. thought maybe you got hit. any way you would truly be surprised how many times people will watch violent crime or tragedy and do nothing. i dont understand it at all. also yes i have been in that scenario a time or two, and did react correctly. learned crisis manegment crap along time ago due to a situation i should have responded to and didnt.

The guy was too young to be damayor. No need to be too worried.

I experienced a similar situation. I was heading to work, about 5:30 am, and I see a guy on his back in the middle of the street. There were no cars or people around and I didn't see any blood, so I assumed he collapsed from a heart attack or something of the like. As I hopped out of my car, I heard him making some groaning noises, so I called 911 immediately. While waiting for the medics, I was trying to think of a way I could help him. The only thing I did, other than calling 911, was lay my jacket on him because it was the middle of winter.

My mind and heart were racing when I saw that guy. Looking back, I probably wouldn't have acted any differently. I'm not trained in the medical field and I always heard you shouldn't move someone after an accident. There's a possibility you could cause further damage and then they would likely sue you. Sounds harsh, but it's the truth.

I don't think the people in the video were out of line. I'm sure the majority of them called 911 and were not medics, so they did not want to move him for reasons stated previously. I also think some of the people that drove by couldn't stomach the sight of the guy lying there, just like some couldn't even watch the video.

lmao her name is kitty genove.

IML Gear Cream!
I've heard things like this happening, like once i heard of a cruise ship taking on water, and they were trying to evacuate people before the thing sank, but the people would just sit there like statues staring into space.

At the time they werent really in a huge amount of danger because there was some time left and plenty of life boats, but they were still completely paralysed.

This also really doesn't surprise me at all. In my average day I run into a number of people who are so freaking retarded I am surprised the can remember to breath.

Today I was driving up my parking garage, this guy in front of me comes to a complete stop and puts on his turn signal to turn right into an empty parking space.

I mean, people these days can't even be expected to go at a green light and stop at a red one. You can train a freaking rat to do that, but not a person. People these days can't be expected to be quiet in a movie theater, or to not talk on their cell phone at the table in a nice restaurant. You can't expect anyone to do anything curtious or respectful. I saw a guy yesterday who walked directly in front of a woman pushing a baby stroller, to the point where she had to stop abruptly, and then he opened the door just barely wide enough to get through, and let it close behind him; I got up and opened the door for her.

Yep, that was in Queens.

Most of those people in that area are upper class snobs.

Yeah, I heard you loud and clear. More trash excusing people not taking responsibility for their actions, putting the reaction on circumstances that cause a "disease". How about you take your condescending recommendation and fuck yourself with it, yes? I've been on the receiving end of thoughtless assholes, a diabetic going into hypoglycemic state while smashing into the freeway divider and having people zoom by while my girlfriend screams for help and sugar. I don't need to research into your rationalization because I think it's shit. A "perfect storm" occurs, oh man, theres one explanation for people not taking responsibility and demonstrating rank cowardice. It's a good thing this disease doesn't effect everyone.

What's doubtful, that I've been up close in a tragic or horrifying situation? Thats a pretentious assertion of FACT considering you don't know me.

I saw a guy yesterday who walked directly in front of a woman pushing a baby stroller, to the point where she had to stop abruptly, and then he opened the door just barely wide enough to get through, and let it close behind him; I got up and opened the door for her.

That shit really annoys me aswell, aside from all this not helping the dying stuff, just plain bad manners happens every damned day. You always see some idiots doing things like that.

I know you've gotta look our for number 1, but do you really have to step on everybody elses heads to do that? :wits:

I agree that it's pathetic when people ignore shit like this.
Some probably afraid of touching him because then he could sue them.

Huh? From what I saw in the vids, the people they interviewed looked like lower class minorities.
Do you have a link?

I'm talking about the Kitty Genovese post.
That's a pretty well off Jewish and Italian nieghborhood.

I am generalizing from kbm's clip cuz it was pretty close to the same clip or in fact IS the same clip I saw and...mostly blacks are interviewed.

I was going to say that perhaps nobody had a cell phone handy and the removal of payphones could contribute to this, but none of the stores had a phone?

this, made popular by the murder of Kitty Genoves. It's a human tendency commonly known and taught in any social psychology class. I'm not saying its OK to let a man die in the streets, but anyone would do the same thing. I say this because more studies than I can count show that what we think we would do is almost never what we would actually do. We're all subject to the same human programming. This isn't an isolated incident of heartless people. If you took the highway and the crowds away, I assure you any one of those people would have been more assertive to help.

The bystander effect, however, is unique in that people who are educated on its power over us are often able to conciously overcome it.

Last edited:
Yeah, I heard you loud and clear. More trash excusing people not taking responsibility for their actions, putting the reaction on circumstances that cause a "disease". How about you take your condescending recommendation and fuck yourself with it, yes? I've been on the receiving end of thoughtless assholes, a diabetic going into hypoglycemic state while smashing into the freeway divider and having people zoom by while my girlfriend screams for help and sugar. I don't need to research into your rationalization because I think it's shit. A "perfect storm" occurs, oh man, theres one explanation for people not taking responsibility and demonstrating rank cowardice. It's a good thing this disease doesn't effect everyone.

What's doubtful, that I've been up close in a tragic or horrifying situation? Thats a pretentious assertion of FACT considering you don't know me.

The bystander effect is a social principle. One of the early assumptions of social psychology is that it predicts the behaviors of the masses, or rather the majority of people. There will always be exceptions on the individual level. I can know everything there is to know about social psychology and every detail of your upbringing but not be able to say with 100% accuracy your behaviors. If you do not abide to the bystander effect then that is an admirable, and quite possible, trait.

As with any social principle, however, whether or not this is adequate enough information for you to understand and excuse the behavior is up to you. With all the "bad" tendencies social psychology has shown that we are "inherently" (I hate using that word) capable of, it is difficult for me to blame anyone for being human. I'm not saying letting the man die on the street is OK, I'm saying it is human.

Back