• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Cheap sources of Protein

Tcage

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Ok, so i'm trying to get my diet back under control, because to be honest i ate like crap for a few years (too much fast food, junk....yuck).

My prolem is i'm on a student's budget (so like $5-10/day for food). What are some good foods to get my macros for that cheap? (mainly protein is the one i'm concerned about, b/c it seems to be the hardest price-wise)

Lean ground beef or ground turkey is good. I can get 1 pound of 8% ground beef for like 3 bucks at the store I think. So if I eat 4 ounces at a time, that's 25g of protein (with like 8g of fat or something) for just about 75 cents. A little less expensive than a can of tuna, and better tasting IMO.

tuna fish!

Cheapest per gram of protein. Probably some sort of protein powder.

But chicken and tuna if you are looking for a food source.

+1 for tuna in a can.

Eggs aren't too pricey, but do you have a place to cook them?

Eggs, Tuna and Protein Pwd when you look at a cost per serving aspect of it. You can get 5lb of whey for a decent price....kind of boring but it works.

up front, the cost of whey seems expensive. But the way i think of it is, I can have a filet Mignon cost 20.00 for a serving, or I can have a whey shake for pennies. uhhhhhduh?

Buy meat only on sale. I've been buying boneless, skinless chicken breasts for $1.79-$1.99/lb for years and freezing enough until the next sale.

One of my staple meals in college was chicken breast brown rice and natural peanut butter. Sometimes I would throw in veggies like brocoli, zuchinni or some salad on the side. The calculated cost was under $2/meal.

Good stuff Kent....I know that I should be more of a bargain shopper and it would save a lot of $$.....it seems like my grocery bill is getting higher every week! That is a tip I def plan to use myself! Thanks.

Buy meat only on sale. I've been buying boneless, skinless chicken breasts for $1.79-$1.99/lb for years and freezing enough until the next sale.

One of my staple meals in college was chicken breast brown rice and natural peanut butter. Sometimes I would throw in veggies like brocoli, zuchinni or some salad on the side. The calculated cost was under $2/meal.

+1

You can also pick up Top round steak for 1.99/lb. Just bought 4lbs of it today.

None of the posters mentioned this but if you are going to eat Tuna from a can... make darn sure that it is wild caught. Otherwise, it would be farm raised and most probably has mercury in them.

Other than that... whey protein powder is probably your next best bet... I heard someone say that if you cannot afford the whey protein powder... get dry milk. It will have more fat...

just look for the protein powders that are about to expire and they are marked down to about 10 bucks and load up!!

a semi-related Q....are Pickled eggs as good as hard-boiled ones? (don't see why they wouldn't be, but figured i'd ask).

Also, what's teh downside of not getting enough protein? Would it be terrible if i had say 100g of protein/day instead of 150? (my LBM minimum)

a semi-related Q....are Pickled eggs as good as hard-boiled ones? (don't see why they wouldn't be, but figured i'd ask).

Also, what's teh downside of not getting enough protein? Would it be terrible if i had say 100g of protein/day instead of 150? (my LBM minimum)
dont they have just mustard and mayo? I dont see why not...???

Back