• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Age and Progress

dmac10

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
How late into adulthood are strength and size gains to be expected? My question comes from wondering about the longevity of weight training as a hobby if gains become very difficult into your middle years and later. I've trainined for about 10 yrs and am only 28 yrs old but am unsure about how the data says one is capable of progressing over the next couple of decades.

Gains are relative to where you start, you can start and continue gaining through those years.

Look at the world's best powerlifters, they are in their 30's and 40's.

I started at 38 and I'm still doing okay. I'm sure I would have done better had I started at 16 though.

Bygones.

How late into adulthood are strength and size gains to be expected? My question comes from wondering about the longevity of weight training as a hobby if gains become very difficult into your middle years and later. I've trainined for about 10 yrs and am only 28 yrs old but am unsure about how the data says one is capable of progressing over the next couple of decades.

You'll be in better shape no matter how old you are. Are you thinking of suicide or are you about ready to spam or what? It's an odd question for a person your age.

I am just curious if most of my gains are likely behind me or if I have more to look forward to. I've come a long way over the last 10 yrs or so and was just hoping that I still have the possibility of making gains for the years ahead. I know athletes are doing more late in life now with all that we know about training, diet, etc., and I know that I'm still young but is it reasonable to hope for continued progress down the road 10-20 yrs?

Yes, you can continue to make gains as you get older. Of course, it doesn't get any easier as time goes by, but proper/strict adherance to diet and the right workout program will still get better results than an abdominizer and a Jack Lalanne juicer.

The aging process begins after about the age of 25. Sarcopenia (muscle loss) begins.....and worsens as we get into our 50's (our 6th decade of life) as our nervous system also starts to down regulate and decrease our ability to display power.

That said, we know that weightlifting, while it can't PREVENT aging from happening, it can DRASTICALLY slow down the process and make things like sacropenia, power decreases, and strength decreases less of an issue. This is why it is so vital for people to lift weights later in life.

As far as making progress goes, you can make progress at any age, it is all about how you train and maniupulate the variables. You may not be as strong as you were when you were 18 or 19 (I know I am not) and you may not be able to recover as quickly from intense training bouts, but that doesn't mean you can't progress and increase strength/muscle mass, increase power, increase flexibility/mobility and enhance work capacity.

If you want to hear about progress later in life......I had a 56 year old man who was HIV Positive (muscle wasting away!) squat 335 for 5.

It isn't about how strong you used to be. It's how strong you could be. You will always be stronger training than not no matter what age you are.

I see guys in there 60's and a few in their 70's in the gym all doing well and living a much better active lifestyle than their sedentary peers.
Lord willin I hope to be doing the same as them in a decade or two.

Back