• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Do Diet Sodas Make You Fat?

Arnold

Numero Uno
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Do Diet Sodas Make You Fat?
by Jon Benson

I stumbled across this study today and, to be honest, the results did not surprise me. As a â?????diet sodaholicâ???, something I still struggle with from time to time, I can testify that diet sodas will make you fat.

This study does not cover the metabolic reasons why, so let me give you just a few. First, the body is not easily fooled. Artificial â?????anythingâ???, especially sweeteners, can trigger the exact hormonal mechanisms as the real deal. In this case, the hormone insulin is often spiked by aspartame and Splenda. This leads to a greater amount of fat being stored.

Thatâ??????s not all. The resulting biochemical reactions stimulates appetite. Just as any spike in insulin (or in adrenaline from caffeine) can do, these reactions will cause you to desire more food. They also blunt the appetite mechanisms that signal the brain that you are full. In short, you eat more food than you normally would.

I have seen this in myself first-hand and I discuss it in detail in Fit Over 40. No doubt about it â?????? if you want to get leaner, can the sodas. Diet, non-diet, and anything in-between. Water is your best bet, just as this study concludes.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

San Antonio Express-News

The prevalence of obesity has reached epidemic proportions and many Americans are making efforts to side-step extra calories. They are turning to diet soft drinks â?????? Diet Coke, Pepsi, Dr. Pepper and Sprite â?????? as their beverage of choice.

But is this a wise health choice?

Perhaps not, for according to a study by researchers at the University of Texas San Antonio, middle-aged adults who drink diet soft drinks may be drastically increasing their risks of gaining weight later on.

Diet Soda Discovery
The study monitored the weight and soda-drinking habits of more than 600 normal-weight patients aged 25-64. When researchers followed up on the patients some eight years later, they discovered:

* Participants were 65 percent more likely to be overweight if they consumed one diet soda a day compared to if they drank none.
* Two or more low- or no-calorie soft drinks raised the odds of becoming obese or overweight even higher.
* Those who drank diet soda had a greater chance of becoming overweight than participants who drank regular soda.

Finding Clarity
By itself, diet soda cannot be blamed for weight gain; however, various contributing factors may play a role.

For example, a person who drinks a diet soda may feel itâ??????s acceptable to make up for those calories with another high-calorie food. And while the tongue is temporarily satisfied by the sweet taste of diet soda, the brain isnâ??????t similarly fooled and still craves calories for energy. Other studies have suggested people who drink an artificially sweetened beverage before a meal will eat more high-calorie foods than those who do not.

Therefore, with diet soft drinks and sugar-sweetened beverages (even fruit juices) linked to weight gain and obesity, many people are left wondering, â?????What is safe to drink?â???

The answer, of course, is water.

DISCUSS!!!! :)

do you have the actual study rather than some journalist putting down information in a manner that "freaks people out"?

Half the time these articles are written with a "stir the pot" mentality, and you get the real study and think "this is stupid."

The author doesn't even cite the study AND who is the author and what is his credibility on the subject (I have never heard of him)?

do you have the actual study rather than some journalist putting down information in a manner that "freaks people out"?

Half the time these articles are written with a "stir the pot" mentality, and you get the real study and think "this is stupid."

The author doesn't even cite the study AND who is the author and what is his credibility on the subject (I have never heard of him)?

no, it was from his newsletter, I drink diet soda daily which is why I wanted to hear some opinions on this.

I had to recheck the post date on this because I know the exact subject title has been posted before...or so it seems.

I can't remember the logic was basically like the no fat cookie logic. Oh its ok to eat a ton of them since there is no fat, or that hey I can have two cookies since i didnt have any calories in the soda. Otherwise I think its nonsense. Calories in,Calories out. I only drink them on a cut because I don't trust any of the chemicals. Its better to eat sugar than chemicals.

There was a discussion concerning this here....
Metabolic Syndrome Is Tied to Diet Soda? - BodyRecomposition Support Forums

But, like the studies presented here, there, and everywhere else, I don't go for the biochemical stimulation of appetite theory. I think if anything the effects of diet drinks and artificially sweetened products are more psychological for the average American, who, using this as a (convenient) form of rationalization, would be more likely to eat more calories by choice, and not due to mysterious physiological changes from diet Coke.

I look at it this way (though half assed and backwards) soda is soda, calories are calories and regardless, the shit is just no bueno.

But honestly I have no problem knocking back 10 jack n cokes on a Friday or Saturday... Ah whatever, I'm constantly fighting against myself here..

In conclusion soda is soda is soda... Period

the nutrition alone is reason enough not to drink soda, diet or not. All debatable facts on whether diet will make you gain or lose weight, it's just so bad for your body as a whole. The obvious are teeth and bones are going to take a hit either way, even though the sugar in regular soda just adds to the degradation. Still, whether the article is accurate or not, water is soooooo much more natural and better for you. Not to mention how wasteful soda consumption is compared to reusing your own water filter/bottle.

Hmph. To be honest, I have always drank a shitload of Cokes and Pepsis and I never saw any weight gain (but I wasnt looking). I have now switched to diet sodas and have noticed no changes either.

Sure there may have been some things going on, but without me looking with a magnifying glass, I havent seen shit.

soda=battery acid cleaner

I have now switched to diet sodas and have noticed no changes either

Because you'll just make up for the calories in other ways.

I personally DO buy into the "biochemical stimulation of appetite theory", because as I just mentioned a moment ago on another thread, just looking at food can trigger extra drooling and a rumbly tummy. You then go eating or drinking something that tastes sweet...?

You think your body is not going to REACT to that?

B.

Back