• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Do you need protein while you sleep?

leg_press

Starting a fresh
Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Ive always been under the impression that you need a slow release protein to feed your body as in repairs itself while you sleep. But ive got a mate whos fitness mad, does judo, badminton etc, has a very healthy and varied diet, and says that in order to be healthy, you shouldnt eat carbs after 6pm and you should have nothing but water after 8pm as your body wont you it and it will just turn to fat. A close friend of hers is a bodybuilder and apparently 'wet himself laughing' at the fact I was eating cottage cheese before bed as the body has nothing to do with it while you sleep so its going to fester and turn to fat.

I can't wait to see some of the responses to this... I had some carbs after 6 last night... I guess I'm not healthy... and I guess that bowl of cottage cheese I had before bed went straight to my ass... your friend must think all of the body's metabolic processes shut down as soon as your head hits the pillow at night...

Its confused me big time. Her BIG argument is that 'ur body doesnt need fuel while its trying to rest'

Your friends friends is a fucking moron. You are perfectly correct in doing what you doing. I personally have quite a large meal before I go to bed, I include protein, fat and a small amount of carbs.

So eating a BIG meal last thing I night wont confuse the body as its trying to rest, so make it worth overtime to digest the food when it wants to shut down, rest and repair itself?

No, the body doesnt shut down at night. If I remember correctly your metabolic rate does slow down at night time, but this is irrelevant as you should be working towards a calorie target which takes into account the entire 24 hours of the day. Your body does repair itself at night, and if you were to go the bed having not eaten for 3 hours and then another 8-10 hours of not eating while you sleeping, you will not be supplying your body with the fuel it requires for repair. If you want you can eat your biggest meal of the day before you go to bed (though I wouldnt as it might disrupt your sleep pattern). Does this make sense?

Yeah it makes sense, Ive been through it time and time again with her but she is adamant that im being told bs so I can be sold something to help me loose fat.

I got bored of trying to convince my friends about the correct way to do things a long time ago. Now I just tell them to do things their way and ill do them my way and well see who gets better results.

Yeah it makes sense, Ive been through it time and time again with her but she is adamant that im being told bs so I can be sold something to help me loose fat.

LOL that's quite the conspiracy

A cup of fat free cottage cheese at bed time should do the trick, right?:thinking:

IML Gear Cream!
quick question, rough estimate how many grams is a cup of cottage cheese, i buy 300gram pots so will be easy to figure how much of that to take

I dont eat carbs after 7pm. Its a good way of keeping myself lean. Only protein and trace carbs after 6-7. I do low intensity cardio first thing in the morning before breakfast. Keeps me lean in the offseason.

quick question, rough estimate how many grams is a cup of cottage cheese, i buy 300gram pots so will be easy to figure how much of that to take
It says:
one cup=226 gm.

you're welcome.:D

I dont eat carbs after 7pm. Its a good way of keeping myself lean. Only protein and trace carbs after 6-7. I do low intensity cardio first thing in the morning before breakfast. Keeps me lean in the offseason.

Hmm....as I mentioned in another thread im meant to be studying, so I dont have time for long winded answers. So ill just ask where you got the info from that suggest that you train and diet the way you stated above. I bet it wasnt from someone on this site. Not trying to be a prick, just trying to help.

I eat what i want when i want aslong as i get some chicken or meat and some vegetables, protein shake, zma, and sometimes vitamin supliments.

However when you are wanting to lose weight, then eat less after 6pm but by no means starve yourself, the fact is your metabolism heavily slows down at that time, but your body is a 24 hour machine and will continue to digest your food as normal, just much slower burning the fat.

And I dont work for any suppliment companies, this site or anyone, and i wasn't the man behind the grassy knol.

Hmm....as I mentioned in another thread im meant to be studying, so I dont have time for long winded answers. So ill just ask where you got the info from that suggest that you train and diet the way you stated above. I bet it wasnt from someone on this site. Not trying to be a prick, just trying to help.

intensemuscle

its part of the DC training philosophy... that I have found as worked very well for me.

intensemuscle

its part of the DC training philosophy... that I have found as worked very well for me.

Right. I havent read anything about those training philosophys so im not educated enough to comment, however I would say that the things you mentioned above go against everything ive learned over the past 2 years. Why does it say not to eat carbs after 6? Is it because they would be stored as fat? And what is the purpose of pre breakfast cardio?

IML Gear Cream!
Cutting carbs a few hours before bed because I am reducing my caloric expenditure towards the end of the day, and it allows a longer time period to deplete carbs before the morning cardio.

Cutting carbs a few hours before bed because I am reducing my caloric expenditure towards the end of the day, and it allows a longer time period to deplete carbs before the morning cardio.

Ill read up today after my exam, then make a more informed post later on.

Bullshit.

Tell your friends they're morons. Carbs are not an enemy. You stay lean by watching overall intake.

:roflmao: You always put things so delicately merk.lol

I have to say I completely agree, but didnt want to comment yet, because unlike the vast majority of people on here I dont like to make uneducated posts. Thought I would read up about his routine before calling it shit. I dont think you can carb deplet to any real degree overnight, which I think was the purpose of not eating carbs after 6. And even if you could, why would you want to? The burn fat through cardio things is complete shite.

i guess to answer the question in the thread title, whether i need it or not, i drink a small protein shake overnight when i get up to pee.
1 scoop whey, 1 scoop dex, bit of water. done.

:roflmao: You always put things so delicately merk.lol

I have to say I completely agree, but didnt want to comment yet, because unlike the vast majority of people on here I dont like to make uneducated posts. Thought I would read up about his routine before calling it shit. I dont think you can carb deplet to any real degree overnight, which I think was the purpose of not eating carbs after 6. And even if you could, why would you want to? The burn fat through cardio things is complete shite.

Well as i stated ealier I do like the idea of giving the digestive system a chance to "rest"...and possibly eliminate its own toxins, etc. Thats just from my yogic background. However, the old "carbs are bad for you during XYZ time" is dated.

Well as i stated ealier I do like the idea of giving the digestive system a chance to "rest"...

Where did you post this? It rings a very faint bell, but I would be interested to learn more about it.

slow dissolving protein beforebed. casein types of protein are good. these include cottage cheese, milk, and casein protein.

I had a proteinshake once that said to mix with water in the day time, and at night mix it with milk for slow release. How does that work? Milk=Slow release protein?

I had a proteinshake once that said to mix with water in the day time, and at night mix it with milk for slow release. How does that work? Milk=Slow release protein??

Back