• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Unemployment

I'm getting out of the military soon and was told that I can collect unemployment for 24months since i served eight years. That is ridiculous IMO, and too good of a deal. This is probably why 23% of vets are unemployed.

Yeah, tough times. I was told back in October that our jobs were only guaranteed until April... I may be laid off soon too.

I hate interviewing. :( Hopefully things will change. If I am laid off I may go in an entirely new direction.. tired of an office job. I just don't know what that direction is yet :)

Yeah, tough times. I was told back in October that our jobs were only guaranteed until April... I may be laid off soon too.

I hate interviewing. :( Hopefully things will change. If I am laid off I may go in an entirely new direction.. tired of an office job. I just don't know what that direction is yet :)

Construction. 6 months on 6 months off.

I just took a job working in Afghanistan...BIG paychecks...you can stay a year...or you can stay as long as you want.
It's not for everybody...but if you are about to be out of work and want to make a LOT of $$ in a year...might be a direction...

I just took a job working in Afghanistan...BIG paychecks...you can stay a year...or you can stay as long as you want.
It's not for everybody...but if you are about to be out of work and want to make a LOT of $$ in a year...might be a direction...

How safe is it?

I collected unemployment and worked for my friend for cash under the table after I got out of the Navy. I let the unemployment accrue and lived on my earnings, me and my Navy buddy Colin did. We lived like kings, got to stay in Hawaii with our other Navy friends who were still in and saved up money for school. I burned 3 month's just doing nothing and then decided to go to school, then I didn't have to go to interviews to prove I was looking for a job. We pretty much started a tradition once we exhausted that another friend of ours from the ship would be getting out and take our spots, it went on like that for about 5 years. In my eyes it was good for us because it gave us time to settle into civilian life and explore where we wanted to go in life. Each one of us who did that ended up going to college like most every ex-military person says they want to and we did very well because we had partied ourselves out so we could focus. Most of our friends who went straight back home after their discharge ended up in some nowhere job usually at the factory their dad worked at or doing construction or as a CompUSA sales person. They never got around to doing the college thing and many ended up re-enlisting after a few years.......

IML Gear Cream!

Yeah, I don't know what I'll do.. but very likely staying local. I first want to see how things pan out with my job & make a move when I have to.

well because we had partied ourselves out so we could focus.

Amen. I used to feel so guilty for not getting through college in the "expected" time or not doing what everyone else is doing ( steady job, family, etc...) I screwed around in dead end jobs for a few years, partied my ass off, lost all of my "friends" and then got on track to what I'm sure is a successful life. I wish the best for everyone but I can't even estimate how many people come up to me now and say I wish I would have done something different, something similar to you. (paraphrase)

Amen. I used to feel so guilty for not getting through college in the "expected" time or not doing what everyone else is doing ( steady job, family, etc...) I screwed around in dead end jobs for a few years, partied my ass off, lost all of my "friends" and then got on track to what I'm sure is a successful life. I wish the best for everyone but I can't even estimate how many people come up to me now and say I wish I would have done something different, something similar to you. (paraphrase)

Same here. I partied like a rock star my first few years.

How safe is it?
so far so good. I'm finding out that our terrorist...friends are...fair weather terrorists...they like to do their evil in the warm months...

I live in a 'camp' roughly the size of a neighborhood block or two.
When I get my lap top up n running (I fragged the power source enroute) I'll get some pictures up loaded.

The camp I'm at is a fairly safe place. (knock on wood) In other camps everbody has to wear their full 'battle rattle' (armour) in certain areas...mine is put away and most likely wont be touched again till I turn it in.
(Actually...its about 40lbs or so with the kevlar bullet proof plates in the vest, so I may wear that when I hit the track..)
:)

kinda the same. All my friends are married, with kids...the 'normal route'...I kinda wish I had that....but life is what it is.
One of the kids that came over with me, is 24....JUST out of hte military...and making the big $$...if he stays a couple years....he'll be set up nicely as well as educated, if he sticks to it and finishes his degree...I'm jealous.

so far so good. I'm finding out that our terrorist...friends are...fair weather terrorists...they like to do their evil in the warm months...

I live in a 'camp' roughly the size of a neighborhood block or two.
When I get my lap top up n running (I fragged the power source enroute) I'll get some pictures up loaded.

The camp I'm at is a fairly safe place. (knock on wood) In other camps everbody has to wear their full 'battle rattle' (armour) in certain areas...mine is put away and most likely wont be touched again till I turn it in.
(Actually...its about 40lbs or so with the kevlar bullet proof plates in the vest, so I may wear that when I hit the track..)
:)
Wow, I didn't know you were overseas.

I can't even estimate how many people come up to me now and say I wish I would have done something different....

Yeah.

And how many people are content. I mean "content" by being satisfied enough with their life situation. All of the factors in life in general.

I have always tried to focus on doing what I want to do, and living where I want to live. People I associate with, etc.

It's very important to me.

Wow, I didn't know you were overseas.
oh yeah...I went to Afghanistan... :)
the job I had been doing th past year...actually expected me to work, so I couldn't get on here too much...and then got the job, ball rolled pretty quickly and here I am! TA DA! :D

Don't forget that unemployment isn't payed out of the public tax base, but by your previous employer who has been paying around 2% of your salary into the unemployment tax roll.

This is why you have to work a minimum amount and earn a certain amount in the time before you can claim unemployment benefits.

If you work for McDonald's for 2 months and then get fired, you don't get unemployment.

I guess I'm just jealous. Wish I only had to work 6 months then collect 80% of my income the rest of the year.
I am not jealous of these construction workers. I have seen them working in very extreme wheather in summer. I wonder how much damage it would cause to their health in the future. I am just glad that atleast these hardworking people are getting some extra cash in their pocket to take care of themselves. But I really feel jealous of those CEOs of big corporations who get millions of dollars as bonus. Bonus for what..doing what they are supposed to do?

IML Gear Cream!
I am not jealous of these construction workers. I have seen them working in very extreme wheather in summer. I wonder how much damage it would cause to their health in the future. I am just glad that atleast these hardworking people are getting some extra cash in their pocket to take care of themselves. But I really feel jealous of those CEOs of big corporations who get millions of dollars as bonus. Bonus for what..doing what they are supposed to do?

CEO's getting million dollar bonuses and golden parachutes for failing. Who in their right mind pays someone for doing a miserable job and failing? More suits just scratching each other's backs while we pay for it!

CEO's getting million dollar bonuses and golden parachutes for failing. Who in their right mind pays someone for doing a miserable job and failing? More suits just scratching each other's backs while we pay for it!

I've seen first hand what they do to a good thing, They screwed up Motorola. It was a great job when I first started back in '86. Now it sucks.

You do have some people who think they deserve that money. B_ _ _ _ _ s

I've seen first hand what they do to a good thing, They screwed up Motorola. It was a great job when I first started back in '86. Now it sucks.

You do have some people who think they deserve that money. B_ _ _ _ _ s

Man you been there a while. I bet you have a nice retirement though. Stock options? Motorola has changed a lot in the past 10 years.

Man you been there a while. I bet you have a nice retirement though. Stock options? Motorola has changed a lot in the past 10 years.

I may be wrong, but I doubt Motorola has a retirement plan, as most companies do not.

They made us into sub-contractors, I was there 4 1/2 years just months of being have vested. They let us go 2 days before christmas.

I have some money from my 401k but I really left with nothing.

I got lucky and got a job with the NYTA. Great benefits, retirement and a decent union.
Never again would I work for a private company unless I have a stake in it.

I may be wrong, but I doubt Motorola has a retirement plan, as most companies do not.

They have one but I think you have to be 65 in order to receive a pension plan, I lost that privilege so long ago so I really didn't care.

They are not doing to good....they have themselves to blame, it was a great company when I first started.
Motorola freezes pension plans
Cell phone maker announces pension freeze and suspends matching contributions to 401(k)s; execs take a pay cut.

They made us into sub-contractors, I was there 4 1/2 years just months of being have vested. They let us go 2 days before christmas.

I have some money from my 401k but I really left with nothing.

I got lucky and got a job with the NYTA. Great benefits, retirement and a decent union.
Never again would I work for a private company unless I have a stake in it.

I agree!

Private companies leave us with nothing. At best (or is that at worst?) a 401K. 401Ks, have hidden expense fees that are secret and it dependent on the market.

At-will employment laws in 37 states.

American workers are treated like garbage.

Angry 99er

After posting my song on YouTube, I was surprised by the number of messages I received asking "What exactly is a 99er?"
I am an angry 99er and that anger has come out in song. The motivation came after I was called in by the Apple Store for an employment seminar and, after thirty years in Hollywood pioneering Apple hardware and software, I was not called back for an interview to be an "Apple Creative."
BTW, the clip was created using Apple hardware and software. My hope is that it will help highlight the issue. Please leave comments on YouTube and pass the link along.

YouTube Video

Petlisco,

Welcome to IM and thanks for the song. Hope you stick around.

Petlisco

I think you registered to spread your song & video around. Fine by me.

But after listening to you song I want to say, I like it, but there is one thing:

It's not up to the government to give you a job.

Although the gov and business has been outsourcing and offshoring jobs for decades, do not think they will "create" jobs for you, nor anyone else unemployed. Of course if does depend on what industry/field you're in, and yes there is unfair age discrimination.

Create jobs? Bartenders, waitresses, and cab drivers. These are the jobs the gov policies are creating.

It's not about political parties either. You noted a political party.

If you want to work, I suggest you do what some of my relatives did - move to where there is more work if you're in a place where there is little.

Back