• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Unemployment

Doublebase

Elite Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
I saw one of my friends out last night. He has been laid off since November. He said he gets 974$ every two weeks after taxes. So basically 2,000$/month. So he's eating a big steak dinner and told me he just bought a new four wheeler. I started to get pissed off after hearing this. Isn't that our federal tax money paying for that dinner and four wheeler? How is it fair that he gets all that money every month and some people have to work 40/hours a week to make that? And now they just extended the length of time you can collect from 6 months to 9 months. He said he will be starting back working in April. How nice would it be to work 6 months then have 6 months off and collect unemployment. You could collect the money and then get another job on the side. Unbelievable. I would feel like a piece of shit if I were just collecting that money and not trying to find a job. Although if I knew I were getting my job back in a few months then why try to find a job? Its just that fact that my tax dollars are going towards this. I can imagine how many people abuse this.

A significant portion of the population does this. This is very common for airline pilots. Some go on furlow every year or 2, and collect unemployment every time, but they are limited in how much they can collect, and after a while they lose the ability to collect unless they have something like 18 months of steady work. I also know of subcontractors doing this.

What does he do? Are you sure its not seasonal work? Landscaping maybe?

Plenty of subcontractors do this. I don't think it is taking advantage of anything, once their work is over its over. Really just depends on the situation.

He works in construction. Road work.

Well that's why then. Its not that he takes advantage of it.....I'm sure he just works whenever works presented. I have alot of friends who do that. Just depends also if he has his own business or if he works for a union.

Well that's why then. Its not that he takes advantage of it.....I'm sure he just works whenever works presented. I have alot of friends who do that. Just depends also if he has his own business or if he works for a union.

I guess I'm just jealous. Wish I only had to work 6 months then collect 80% of my income the rest of the year.

Well with my 401k I withdrew it and put it elsewhere. But I had to pay a penalty. I am not sure if its all places, but if I wanted to leave mine in there and continue to pay on it I could. As far as medical benefits probably going to lose those.

IML Gear Cream!
Well with my 401k I withdrew it and put it elsewhere. But I had to pay a penalty. I am not sure if its all places, but if I wanted to leave mine in there and continue to pay on it I could. As far as medical benefits probably going to lose those.

So you have to pay for your medical then. That can be pricey. If your own your wifes benefits then you're ok.

I had to pay for my medical anyways. Not to many places pay for all your medical. They do a percentage, but normally you have to pick up the rest. Ya if your wife has health insurance and things of that nature your set. You get paid by sitting at home, and get to keep insurance. Also you could take side jobs if they pay you in cash and never have to report it to your unemployment.

My brother's friend was laid off, and now has a cash job working three times a week plus unemployment. He is making more money while working less hours. Kindda sucks to us, but the system is set up that way and you can't really do anything about it.

I believe you can extend your health insurance using the COBRA laws or whatever. I don't know the specifics but i know Obama wanted to extend the term for COBRA as well...i'm pretty sure you need to pay into it though.

My brother's friend was laid off, and now has a cash job working three times a week plus unemployment. He is making more money while working less hours.

He's nothing more than a slug, but he has plenty of company. Personally I'd feel like a fucking loser if I sit on unemployment unnecessarily. People don't have any pride anymore... they just hold there hands out & ask "where's mine?"

I dont buy the "his job is seasonal" line.. If I had a seasonal job I'd at least TRY to find work in the off season.. I have a friend in the same situation - he works for 6 months and then takes 6 months off collecting unemployment.

He works in construction. Road work.

This is usually seasonal work. At least where I live.

As far as him taking time off, that's his choice. It sounds like his cost of living with fixed expenses is low.

He says he'll start working in April? Maybe it's that easy for him.

If not....it'll be rough.

This is usually seasonal work. At least where I live.

As far as him taking time off, that's his choice. It sounds like his cost of living with fixed expenses is low.

He says he'll start working in April? Maybe it's that easy for him.

If not....it'll be rough.

The company is still operating. They are just slow. He said he would lose money if he went to work for them now.

Just found out this morning that I'm being laid off. I'm the controller at a small electrical contractor in Northern Indiana. We've been hit really hard by the RV industry layoffs and I don't know what I'm going to do. I've got a wife and 3 kids, oldest is going to college next year. I know there's not much around here job wise. We get 3 or 4 guys in here every week asking about work.

Just found out this morning that I'm being laid off. I'm the controller at a small electrical contractor in Northern Indiana. We've been hit really hard by the RV industry layoffs and I don't know what I'm going to do. I've got a wife and 3 kids, oldest is going to college next year. I know there's not much around here job wise. We get 3 or 4 guys in here every week asking about work.

You're not obligated to foot the bill for your child to go to college if it's going to put you in a financial bind and it will do that. Plenty of federal and private loans out there.

I would have been better off if my parents never gave me a cent for college. I would have a grad degree by now.

I saw one of my friends out last night. He has been laid off since November. He said he gets 974$ every two weeks after taxes. So basically 2,000$/month. So he's eating a big steak dinner and told me he just bought a new four wheeler. I started to get pissed off after hearing this. Isn't that our federal tax money paying for that dinner and four wheeler? How is it fair that he gets all that money every month and some people have to work 40/hours a week to make that? And now they just extended the length of time you can collect from 6 months to 9 months. He said he will be starting back working in April. How nice would it be to work 6 months then have 6 months off and collect unemployment. You could collect the money and then get another job on the side. Unbelievable. I would feel like a piece of shit if I were just collecting that money and not trying to find a job. Although if I knew I were getting my job back in a few months then why try to find a job? Its just that fact that my tax dollars are going towards this. I can imagine how many people abuse this.

The max in alabama is $250/week.

The cost of living is much lower there.

Always one step ahead of me :banned:

The cost of living is low but I would barley be able to pay my rent with only $250/week income.

Yeah the average mortgage is over 2000$/month here.

Yeah the average mortgage is over 2000$/month here.
so taxpayer dollars should cover 2000 bucks of that?

should teachers collect unemployment during the summer?

why should I have to foot the bill for somebody who got into an industry knowing full well thats the way it works. just doesnt jibe with me

Sorry to hear the news, highpockets.

But stay strong. You have moral support, and a lot of others are in the same boat.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Sorry to hear about that.

I hope things workout for the best.

patrick

What a time to be graduating college in the next couple of years!

so taxpayer dollars should cover 2000 bucks of that?

should teachers collect unemployment during the summer?

why should I have to foot the bill for somebody who got into an industry knowing full well thats the way it works. just doesnt jibe with me

I think unemployment should be for 6 months. That will light a fire under you to get another job instead of sitting around collecting all year. My buddies situation is different. He knows he will be getting his job back in April so mine as well sit home, collect and work side jobs for under the table money. I don't think I should have to pay for that but that is the system.
School teachers have the option at the end of the school year to get a lump some for the summer or keep getting paid as usual. My wife ops to getting paid every two weeks as usual during the summer. So even when she isn't working, we still receive income. It would probably make more sense to take the lump some and put it in a high yield savings account but for the measly few hundred bucks I'd rather have the consistent income every two weeks.

Here's one thing that I just don't get pertaining to our government. I need to be completely unemployed to receive benefits. In Indiana my benefits will be about half of what I was making per week. So my government check will be about $400/week. I could probably get part time work at the health club where I work out to help supplement my lost income, but if I do, I won't qualify for unemployment because I'm working. WTF! It seems to me that the government is trying to keep me down. I believe if done correctly, my current employer should verify what I was making and then I should be able to make the equivalent through benefits and part time jobs until I find something full time. Just my 2 cents!

Here's one thing that I just don't get pertaining to our government. I need to be completely unemployed to receive benefits. In Indiana my benefits will be about half of what I was making per week. So my government check will be about $400/week. I could probably get part time work at the health club where I work out to help supplement my lost income, but if I do, I won't qualify for unemployment because I'm working. WTF! It seems to me that the government is trying to keep me down. I believe if done correctly, my current employer should verify what I was making and then I should be able to make the equivalent through benefits and part time jobs until I find something full time. Just my 2 cents!

Damn, that sucks. Here in NJ, or at least in PA, you can make up to a certain amount of money and still collect full benefits, any more, and they just subtract that out and give you a partial benefit. At least that way you are encouraged to find some work.

Back