• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

A few questions about Optimum Nutrition Whey Protien and IronMag Whey Protien

mboley370

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
I have been reading a lot on which protiens to take and this was the most popular ones that I have read about. I asked a pretty big guy in the gym today what he takes and he takes optimum nutriton. He swears by it.

However, isn't 100% isolate whey protien better? I am a bit confused as to why optimum is so popular if 100% isolate is better.

Wouldn't the ironmag whey protien be better to take since its 100% isolate protien? Even though optimum nutriton whey protien says that there main ingrediants is isolate wouldn't that just mean ironmag is better do to having 100% isolate?

Not looking for a bias answer like this one is better because I am just looking to know why. Or is it just going to come to a personal choice on what to take?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Matt

I have been reading a lot on which protiens to take and this was the most popular ones that I have read about. I asked a pretty big guy in the gym today what he takes and he takes optimum nutriton. He swears by it.
If he swears by a protein shake hes a moron

However, isn't 100% isolate whey protien better? I am a bit confused as to why optimum is so popular if 100% isolate is better.reason - $$$$

Wouldn't the ironmag whey protien be better to take since its 100% isolate protien? Even though optimum nutriton whey protien says that there main ingrediants is isolate wouldn't that just mean ironmag is better do to having 100% isolate?

Not looking for a bias answer like this one is better because I am just looking to know why. Or is it just going to come to a personal choice on what to take?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Matt

If you can afford it, take isolate. Isolate normally has a slightly higher protein content and slightly less fat and lactose per serving, and I think its absorbed slighty faster. It really doesnt make that much difference.

If you can afford it, take isolate. Isolate normally has a slightly higher protein content and slightly less fat and lactose per serving, and I think its absorbed slighty faster. It really doesnt make that much difference.

Thanks. Yeah I read that it absorbs a little bit quicker also. I think that optimum nutrition has 90% isolate in it, so it leaves 10% of others. I guess it would be better to have 100%.

Guess I will give ironmag whey a try or a 100% isolate protien in another brand not sure yet.

Matt

lol.

just get your protein.

overanalyzing is a waste of time.

lol.

just get your protein.

overanalyzing is a waste of time.

True, however I just don't want to throw my money away. I am wanting to learn about protiens and why everyone takes a certain one to make sure I am not missing something important lol. If I am going to absorb 15 to 20 % more protien in a week just because I take a certain protien I would want to take that one.

I also figure since I have atleast 20 more servings of protien I am ok to research for a bit :p

Matt

Does anyone know why protein supplements are lot better than whole food proteins? Is this a propaganda of supplement companies or is this true?:thinking:

How Our Bodies Use Protein

Although one gram of protein will contain four calories in all cases, the amount of protein which our body can digest and use for muscle building purposes is not always 100%. In fact, the most easily digestible natural protein source are whole eggs, where the percentage net utilization by our bodies is 94%. Because eggs contain the best protein digestion rate of any natural source, eggs are given a protein rating of '100' and all other protein containing food sources are rated according to how digestible they are compared to egg protein.

Today, there exists protein powders which digest even easier than egg protein and can be utilized by our bodies even more than the 94% that natural egg protein can be. These protein powders would have a protein rating higher than 100 on the scale below.

Biological Value

The Biological Value (BV) is a scale of measurement used to determine what percentage of a given nutrient source is utilized by the body. The scale is most frequently applied to protein sources, particularly whey protein. Biological Value is derived from providing a measure intake of protein, then determining the nitrogen uptake versus nitrogen excretion. The theoretical highest BV of any food source is 100%. In short - BV refers to how well and how quickly your body can actually use the protein you consume.

Below is a list of various sources of protein and their respective ratings.

Protein Ratings FOOD PROTEIN RATING
Eggs (whole) 100
Eggs (whites) 88
Chicken / Turkey 79
Fish 70
Lean Beef 69
Cow's Milk 60
Unpolished Rice 59
Brown Rice 57
White Rice 56
Peanuts 55
Peas 55
Whole Wheat 49
Soy beans 47
Whole-grain Wheat 44
Peanuts 43
Corn 36
Dry Beans 34
White Potato 34

As far as sources of protein created in the lab are concerned, here is a short list of some protein sources you can find in supplements common today. See how they compare to the natural sources listed above:

Protein Ratings PROTEIN SUPPLEMENT PROTEIN RATING
Whey Protein Isolate 159
Whey Protein Concentrate 104
Casein 77
Soy 74

I can not answer if one or the other is better for your body. But I am currently using both products.

The Ironmag mixed perfectly and tasted great, although for my tastes it is too sweet. But without the artificial sweetener aftertaste.

Wife wanted some vanilla so we went down to the GNC and bought their premium whey product. Mixed well tasted fine but had a definite aftertaste from the artificial sweetener.

Two weeks ago looking for some variety bought some Optimum in the coffee flavor.
I noticed right away it didn't mix as well as the Ironmag and it has that damn aftertaste.

I now mix the Choc. Ironmag and the coffee Optimum. Tastes great and cuts down on the artificial sweetener.

I will definitely purchase more Ironmag. Optimum I will purchase for the variety of flavor.

Ironmag has a few fewer carbs but not enough to make a difference. Both seem to digest well.

Note to Prince: cut back on the sweetener. Otherwise thanks for a great product.

I can not answer if one or the other is better for your body. But I am currently using both products.

The Ironmag mixed perfectly and tasted great, although for my tastes it is too sweet. But without the artificial sweetener aftertaste.

Wife wanted some vanilla so we went down to the GNC and bought their premium whey product. Mixed well tasted fine but had a definite aftertaste from the artificial sweetener.

Two weeks ago looking for some variety bought some Optimum in the coffee flavor.
I noticed right away it didn't mix as well as the Ironmag and it has that damn aftertaste.

I now mix the Choc. Ironmag and the coffee Optimum. Tastes great and cuts down on the artificial sweetener.

I will definitely purchase more Ironmag. Optimum I will purchase for the variety of flavor.

Ironmag has a few fewer carbs but not enough to make a difference. Both seem to digest well.

Note to Prince: cut back on the sweetener. Otherwise thanks for a great product.

Thanks for the response. I think thats what I am going to end up doing is purchasing the ironmag. However I am going to purchase the elite pacakage here so I can get 20% off and just order a few of the 5lbs so I basicly get the membership for free. Makes since atleast.

Does anyone know why protein supplements are lot better than whole food proteins? Is this a propaganda of supplement companies or is this true?:thinking:

How Our Bodies Use Protein

Although one gram of protein will contain four calories in all cases, the amount of protein which our body can digest and use for muscle building purposes is not always 100%. In fact, the most easily digestible natural protein source are whole eggs, where the percentage net utilization by our bodies is 94%. Because eggs contain the best protein digestion rate of any natural source, eggs are given a protein rating of '100' and all other protein containing food sources are rated according to how digestible they are compared to egg protein.

Today, there exists protein powders which digest even easier than egg protein and can be utilized by our bodies even more than the 94% that natural egg protein can be. These protein powders would have a protein rating higher than 100 on the scale below.

Biological Value

The Biological Value (BV) is a scale of measurement used to determine what percentage of a given nutrient source is utilized by the body. The scale is most frequently applied to protein sources, particularly whey protein. Biological Value is derived from providing a measure intake of protein, then determining the nitrogen uptake versus nitrogen excretion. The theoretical highest BV of any food source is 100%. In short - BV refers to how well and how quickly your body can actually use the protein you consume.

Below is a list of various sources of protein and their respective ratings.

Protein Ratings FOOD PROTEIN RATING
Eggs (whole) 100
Eggs (whites) 88
Chicken / Turkey 79
Fish 70
Lean Beef 69
Cow's Milk 60
Unpolished Rice 59
Brown Rice 57
White Rice 56
Peanuts 55
Peas 55
Whole Wheat 49
Soy beans 47
Whole-grain Wheat 44
Peanuts 43
Corn 36
Dry Beans 34
White Potato 34

As far as sources of protein created in the lab are concerned, here is a short list of some protein sources you can find in supplements common today. See how they compare to the natural sources listed above:

Protein Ratings PROTEIN SUPPLEMENT PROTEIN RATING
Whey Protein Isolate 159
Whey Protein Concentrate 104
Casein 77
Soy 74

Thanks for this table here. It does make you wonder. I know that I don't have a clue lol.

Thanks

Matt

Back