• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

A vision of students today

See, most career related classes that you'll end up taking are basically watered down and irrelevant. I'm a professional sales guy, I'm almost done with my degree in marketing. I have to say that my business education is practically useless in my line of work. What will really prepare you for work is on the job training. The way I see it, it makes no sense to get on the job training at school. For one thing, you're not even certain about the career you want to persue. Second, don't discount liberal arts classes. What you learn in them is comprehending and communicating information. It's hugely important. You think all these core curriculum classes are worthless, but they're not, they're actually worth far more than your vocational courses. Being a well rounded mothafucka is priceless. You should really consider concentrating on the big picture, really learning how the world works.

As far as your career path, there's thing called money and there's this thing called independance and lack of it is influencing your choices. At some point you'll realize that money is just a tool, and it's not the most important thing in your career choice. Once you take money out of the equation, you may find that you don't enjoy the job that you're doing at all. Just keep an open mind and try to understand that it's okay for you interests to change. That's what I learned in the last 5 years. It will probably not sink in, but I feel obliged to put it out htere anyhow.

Basically, once you will realize that money ain't shit, pussy ain't shit, status ain't shit, having cool friends ain't shit, your whole perspective will change and that's awesome.

The money is just a side bonus of all of this dude. Networking and working with technology is more of a hobby for me, so basically I'm getting paid to do my hobby all day.

See, most career related classes that you'll end up taking are basically watered down and irrelevant. I'm a professional sales guy, I'm almost done with my degree in marketing. I have to say that my business education is practically useless in my line of work. What will really prepare you for work is on the job training. The way I see it, it makes no sense to get on the job training at school. For one thing, you're not even certain about the career you want to persue. Second, don't discount liberal arts classes. What you learn in them is comprehending and communicating information. It's hugely important. You think all these core curriculum classes are worthless, but they're not, they're actually worth far more than your vocational courses. Being a well rounded mothafucka is priceless. You should really consider concentrating on the big picture, really learning how the world works.

As far as your career path, there's thing called money and there's this thing called independance and lack of it is influencing your choices. At some point you'll realize that money is just a tool, and it's not the most important thing in your career choice. Once you take money out of the equation, you may find that you don't enjoy the job that you're doing at all. Just keep an open mind and try to understand that it's okay for you interests to change. That's what I learned in the last 5 years. It will probably not sink in, but I feel obliged to put it out htere anyhow.

Basically, once you will realize that money ain't shit, pussy ain't shit, status ain't shit, having cool friends ain't shit, your whole perspective will change and that's awesome.

I'm not trying to be rude, but typically people who work towards liberal arts or business degrees have no clue what they want to do, so a broad education might be better for people like you. Others like myself and danzik went into highly specialized fields. We knew exactly what we wanted to do from the first day. There is no sense in wasting our time with liberal arts classes. It is also damn important that I have lots of hands on training. All the books and concept theory in the world isn't going to help me program a Cisco router, program a database is SQL, set up a computer server, ect.

Employers in the high-tech industry expect you know know something when you come to work for them. You better understand the fundamentals of the technology being used by their company.

I'm not a big supporter of the idea that a person "knows" what to do. How do you know what you want to do if you haven't seen the world/lived the life, etc...

I'm gonna draw a parallel to getting married young. How you know what you want if you don't know who you are first?

"If you think in terms of a year, plant a seed; if in terms of ten years, plant trees; if in terms of 100 years, teach the people." Confucius

I'm not a big supporter of the idea that a person "knows" what to do. How do you know what you want to do if you haven't seen the world/lived the life, etc...

I'm gonna draw a parallel to getting married young. How you know what you want if you don't know who you are first?

Well, I'll give you an example. I have done a lot of computer work over the last 6 or more years. Maybe at first I could fix some sort of simple hardware or operating system problem you might be having but that was it. As my education progressed, so did my technical expertise, trouble shooting skills, and basic understanding of common technologies. Soon, I was able to set up networks, design websites, program databases, and so on. What I learned in college got me a sweet ass job this summer working for a rich old fucker in my spare time making good money doing things that working toward my degree in computer science prepared me for.

I have most of the tools I need to get my foot in the door if I am aggressive. Now my education will be completely useless if I wait 5 years and then try to apply what I have learned because the industry changes so quickly.

Now sure, maybe learning SQL Server 2005 won't help me in my job because in 3 years, the new version will be out, but I know for sure that art history isn't going to help me succeed in my career where as knowing SQL server might. There are classes that I would have liked to take but couldn't fit into my schedule because I had to fill 15 credit hours of humanities and liberal arts. I would have rather sharpened my competitive edge by learning more about linux, C-sharp programming, or advanced database administration, but nooooo. I had to take western civilization part I and II. :rolleyes:

. I would have rather sharpened my competitive edge by learning more about linux, C-sharp programming, or advanced database administration, but nooooo. I had to take western civilization part I and II. :rolleyes:

Just be thankful you did'nt have to learn B-flat or A-sus7, they were a bitch.

I prefer to write my enterprise applications in LOLCODE.

IML Gear Cream!
"If you think in terms of a year, plant a seed; if in terms of ten years, plant trees; if in terms of 100 years, teach the people." Confucius

Amen. I guess, I just have a philosophical bent in my that allows me to persue my global goals, rather than expend my energy on the best thing for the moment.

Amen. I guess, I just have a philosophical bent in my that allows me to persue my global goals, rather than expend my energy on the best thing for the moment.

wait a minute. I am in the last month of a 6 year commitment I made to myself to improve my quality of life and future. I wouldn't call that living for the moment. All I am saying is I can broaden my horizons in my own time for a tenth of the price than a $800 per 3 credit hour class can do. I listen to classical music on NPR and it doesn't cost me a fucking dime. I have gone to the local museum exhibits for about $2.00. I have learned a ton about eastern philosophy from my Buddhist friends and co-workers.

Becoming well rounded is as simple as getting your ass off the couch and go doing something. I don't have to take a class on that to figure it out.

Maby thats were the breakdown is. I typically think for myself, so I don't have to have someone broaden my horizons for me.

Fucking Buddhists...

Always screwing it up for the rest of us.

College is bullshit for 90% of students there. Just b/c you were part of that 90% population does not make the entire program like that.

There are plenty of students whose college career's were not bullshit. There are plenty of colleges where education isn't bullshit. Sure, there are BS classes and soft subjects (like most undergrad humanities, liberal arts, business) but most of the good students go on to higher degrees.

A BS or BA is just like a high school degree in the 60s. Its a standard with a standard education for a standard population of students. Want a deeper education? Go to grad school

Back