• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Sciatic Nerve

IML Gear Cream!
Excellent advice but...

ponyboy doesn't go far enough. When you're hurtin' as bad as Akira you need medical care and films, starting with xrays, in order to arrive at a accurate diagnoses.

The amazing thing is more of us aren't bed ridden. The lower lumbar is a fragile place and discs are like glazed three day old jelly filled donuts. Something as simple as mild dehydration can cause major problems given the right (bad) circumstances.

Ubercoach

true.

the other problem is that AKria has been fighting with this for a number ofm onths now. He never really went to the docotr and just tried to get over it on his own.

The key to anythign is that if it hurts. Rest it. If after 2 weeks it still hurts....I think it is time to go and see someone who can give you an honest assessment.

true.

the other problem is that AKria has been fighting with this for a number ofm onths now. He never really went to the docotr and just tried to get over it on his own.

The key to anythign is that if it hurts. Rest it. If after 2 weeks it still hurts....I think it is time to go and see someone who can give you an honest assessment.

Kick me while I am down, why dont ya! :laugh:

But youre right. I am down. I wouldnt had been, but this is all new to me as I have never been to a chiro before and not to mention the sorry fact that I wanted to ...not be a "tough guy," but I didnt think it was all that serious since the pain I had prior to my condition now was very tolerable. This is the beauty of hindsight.

I feel like that 16 year old boy I was years ago denying the fact that my gfriend was cheating on me. Shouldve listened.

In any case, I am now obsessed with this shit and annoyed. My "sugar-momma" said shed pay for an MRI, but I dont like the fact that a woman is going to pay $650 for me. Then again, is this my pride jumping in for the third time? :suicide:

I don't know how true that is.

You are going to need some real treatment though.

Pass chiro, go straight to orthopedic surgeon...?

A Chiro is like any other discipline, some are good, some not so good. My Chiro's been treating me for over twenty years. Just like any professional, when you find a good one, if you've any sense you maintain a relationship in case you need them again. A good Chiro is as much or more about being proactive and keeping joints functioning properly, particularly your spine. You should see one once a month minimum, just like maintenence intervals on your car. And Akira's living the reason this is a smart stratedgy for anyone but particularly those of us who weight train and/or play sports. "An ounce of prevention..."
A good Chiro or Osteopath may be able to resolve Akira's problem but it sounds a though surgery may be a possibility.

Akira: If you think crawling to the bathroom on all fours is dignified then refuse the financial aide and continue to suffer. If I were you I'd take the money and GET AN XRAY FIRST! After a radiologist and orthopedic surgeon have examined them, they'll tell you if you need more films (PET, MRI). That's the time to ask if they think you may need surgery.
Meanwhile, no clubbing, no dancing...but you might try to get some of those Fla. bimbos to give your back some massage.

Ubercoach

Just Say No (to MRI at present) and "Yes Please!" to offered help.

Go find a good chiropractor - seek out others in your area who have used them, find one who gets rave reviews. Coach is right; they are really worth it.

Get the x-ray, have it read by a ortho..and then take it with you to the chiro. He will need to see it anyway and possibly confir with the Orthopedist.

I suggests you suck up your pride, and politely ask your sugar momma to pay for the xray/film read by the Ortho and chiro visits, if you are lacking insurance coverage for these procedures. The cost will come to about the same as the MRI. You will be much farther ahead.

In your shoes, I would be grateful that you have someone who thinks enough of you to offer to pay for your treatment.

"In your shoes, I would be grateful that you have someone who thinks enough of you to offer to pay for your treatment."
- Trouble

Yes, very very grateful. There's really not much demand for guys with screwed up backs.

Ubercoach

A Chiro is like any other discipline, some are good, some not so good. My Chiro's been treating me for over twenty years. Just like any professional, when you find a good one, if you've any sense you maintain a relationship in case you need them again. A good Chiro is as much or more about being proactive and keeping joints functioning properly, particularly your spine. You should see one once a month minimum, just like maintenence intervals on your car. And Akira's living the reason this is a smart stratedgy for anyone but particularly those of us who weight train and/or play sports. "An ounce of prevention..."
A good Chiro or Osteopath may be able to resolve Akira's problem but it sounds a though surgery may be a possibility.

Ubercoach

Agreed. You will run into some chiros who tell you that they should see you a minimum of three times a week for six weeks to start. Run quickly in the other direction - like any industry there are good and bad practitioners and some chiros are shady when it comes to frequency of visits, especially the new ones. I have a good one I see about once a month OR when I have a problem a little more frequently plus I can do a lot of stuff on my own.

Personally I consider surgery an absolute last resort once all other avenues have been exhausted. It may take some time to find a technique that alleviates your problems. Living with chronic pain sucks ass.

You will run into some chiros who tell you that they should see you a minimum of three times a week for six weeks to start. Run quickly in the other direction - like any industry there are good and bad practitioners and some chiros are shady when it comes to frequency of visits, especially the new ones.

May I politely disagree with this statement? The reason for the initial visit frequency is that your chiro is working to realign what is termed a "stiff response system" of somewhat resistant (to corrective manipulation) bone and resiliant connected tissue.

The point of manual manipulation is to return bone position to it correct alignment. It is reset easily to its former (incorrect) position by attached elastically responsive muscle. To overcome this inclination to return to the incorrect position requires repeated repositioning and corrective exercises to eventually attain a semi-permenent state of realignment.

This latter state requires less frequent manipulative adjustments; corrections for larger misposition issues are rarely permanent. When you have a severe subluxation (lateral dislocation) as I had, I was seeing a chiro every other day.

For two unrelated back injuries, I saw two excellent practitioners, 14 yrs, and 3300 miles apart. Both had the same approach to manual readjustments, a short interval of frequent adjustments, followed by a longer period of gradually lengthening periods between minor corrective adjustments. The latter is always dictated by patient response, not to formulaic doctrine of required visits.

IML Gear Cream!
Today is a bit better. And people have noticed me limping less. I am more sensitive in another toe as opposed to yesterday.

I go back to see him tomorrow and will ask him when I can get an MRI the soonest. Sugar momma really wants to help me.

Erroneous reasonng and stating th obvious...

Sorry old son, but Trouble is absolutely correct in her discription of a typical chiropractic treatment schedule and the reasons why. It isn't the initial realtively intense schedule of treatments, it's continueing that treatment frequency long after it's no longer effective. You'll likely know when you're there and as a big boy or girl you can always say "I'd like to reduce the number of weekly visits."

"Personally I consider surgery an absolute last resort once all other avenues have been exhausted. It may take some time to find a technique that alleviates your problems. Living with chronic pain sucks ass."
-ponyboy

You've made three obvious points:
Yes, surgery is always the treatment of last resort.
Yes' it may take some time to find a technique that alleviates your problems or you may find you have to have an operation.
And as someone who lives with chronic pain this is an understatement:
"Living with chronic pain sucks ass." Perhaps the voice of experience or empathy, never the less, your understanding of others pain is appreciated, as are your efforts to help. Just try to show a little greater attention to scientific accuracy and intellectual originality in your responses. Your heart is in the right place.

Ubercoach

Just try to show a little greater attention to scientific accuracy and intellectual originality in your responses. Your heart is in the right place.

Ubercoach

Thanks Dad. When I need your insight on what I'm posting I'll be sure to let you know in the future. :rolleyes:

ponyboy,

Follow my adxice and you won't need futher insight from me.
By the way, one more insight, it's more a professor to student relationship than father to son.

Ubercoach

You being a professor would imply that I would learn something - and I have. How to be a condecending know it all. In the future please refrain from commenting on my posts and I will do the same. I'd rather not deal with people with your attitude in any capacity, much less on an internet message board.

Update..

I went ahead and asked my chiro when an MRI can be given, where, by who, and how much. All answers given were good except the "when." Not saying it was more or less 'bad,' but he said it wasnt needed to be considered until next week.

Today is now 7 days, just a weeks since my injury/first visit. He wanted to continue treatment (down to mon wed fri, instead of everyday) and see what improves. He also said that an MRI wont exactly speed up the healing process, but help pin point where the problem is not healing. Speaking of him saying "not healing," he also said an MRI is also considered when symptoms become worse of plateaued. I have been walking better, but as far as feeling my toes or raising my leg, no. I am not sure if I have gotten better or have learned to live with this shit. Either way, come next week, if nothing improves, I go in.

He did do something new to me yesterday and I imagine he will again tomorrow. I laid down on my back and used my big toe's strength to try to keep him from pulling my toes toward him. My left big toe was stiff, the right, hardly had any strength. He said that was being affected by L5, the same problem he knew was causing the pain and sciatica.

Good news is, I just found out my benefits will kick in oct 1! And that getting an MRI will not be a long wait. "If I wanted to, I could prolly get you in there, by tonight, if I wanted you to," he said, so no waiting period.

even if your benifits kick in on OCT. 1, I don't believe you can use them for this condition because it is a pre-exisiting condition that you have been treated for BEFORE you got your medical benifits. had you never went to the Dr. for this you could walkin on OCt.1 and say it happened that day and get the treatment covered.

Very few medical insurance plans will cover an MRI advocated by a chiro. Many no longer will cover more than half a dozen chiro visits per year. They often won't cover more than 1 or 2 diagnostic x-rays. Hence, his comment about out-of-pocket cost. If you do decide to try the insurance coverage route, pay attention to Patricks comments below. Most major insurance plans (ex BC/BS) will not assure you in advance that coverage will include such procedures. It makes it tricky - your gf will probably end up covering the cost if the insurance company decides, "tough tomatoes, we won't pay for it."

You are seeing slow signs of recovery, Akira. Nerve injury repair of these types of injuries are SLOW. They are not overnight improvements.

Your chiro is prudently trying to hint to you to give his treatment a chance before you lay hard earned coin down on an imaging procedure that may or maynot show damage location.

You don't HAVE to have an MRI to see results from treatment. Its a confirmatory diagostic, secondary to examination and history.

http://www.spine-health.com/topics/conserv/insights/insights02.html

"Diagnostic tests. After the physician has a good idea of the source of the patient???s pain, a diagnostic test, such as a CT scan or an MRI scan, is often ordered to confirm the presence of an anatomical lesion in the spine. The tests can give a detailed picture of the location of the herniated disc and impinged nerve roots.

It is important to emphasize that MRI scans and other diagnostic tests are not used to diagnose the patient???s pain; rather, they are only used to confirm the presence of an anatomical problem that was identified or suspected through the medical history and physical exam. For this reason, while the radiographic findings on an MRI scan or other tests are important, they are not as significant in diagnosing the cause of the patient???s pain (the clinical diagnosis) as are the findings from the medical history and physical exam. Often, an MRI scan or other type of test will be used mainly for the purpose of surgical planning???for example, so the surgeon can see exactly where the herniated disc is and how it is impinging on the nerve root."

There are many useful web search hits like this. Run the following terms on a google search:

L5 and sciatic nerve injury and MRI diagnostic

Disc herniation at L5-S1

Akira, I too have recently had a gym related injury very similar to yours. I just happened to come across this thread on this board so I registered to make this post.

I have always had lower back pain after working the hammies and esp. after doing deadlifts. About 2 months ago, despite the fact I had a sore back, I was goofing off and went to lift my gf in a military type press (she's not light), which made my back even more sore. The following night I suffered a severe stabbing pain in my left glute which lasted about a week. It was terrible. It literally felt like a bullet was lodged in my ass. I went to a chiropractor who did some X-rays, which he said "showed" that my L5 vertebra was tilted.

In the next few days I started to loose feeling on the outside of my foot and calf, and experiencing partial muscle paralysis (especially in my calf). My chiropractor had an MRI setup for me (cost me $500). It confirmed a huge disc herniation between L5-S1. The neuro surgeon who I went to said that the MRI suggest I need surgery. However, he was reluctant to cut just yet because the pain had subsided.

Now, two months later, I still have not regained any strength in that calf and I walk with a limp. The doctors seem baffled. They gave me two epidural cortico-steroid injections, but nothing has changed. They want to give me one more, but I said no.

The calf has atrophied a few mm. The only time I experience pain is when attempting to bend over to stretch the hammies and glutes. The pain is in that same area in my upper glute. It may be my piriformis muscle smashing my sciatic nerve. My physical therapist pushes on that area and there is pretty intense pain, but she doesn't seem to care. I told her that she's probably indirectly affecting my sciatic nerve, but she claims it isn't possible. I gave my anatomy books to my gf, so I can't use them to see the route of the sciatic nerve.

I'm thinking some kind a myofascial release from a massage therapist may help, but hell I don't know. NONE of the medical professionals I've gone to seem to know what the hell is going on or what to do about it. It's unbelievable. I've gotten more patient information from you guys than from the 4 professionals I've seen. This injury is so common, I would think that doctors would immediatly recognize it and know what to do about it. I think medical schools do not teach simple wholistic management, just surgery.

Akira, I hope your injury doesn't escalate to where mine is. The pain will eventually subside on it's own hopefully. Best of luck to ya.

Steve

My money provider is not my gf, but she is an important person. I cant elaborate as to how or why I know that my insurance will cover pre-existing injuries and MRIs. Actually, lets just say I can get away with having a pre-existing injury on this one. But I have already looked into what plans offer what and MRIs are covered. Extensive visits, I will have to look into again..

Trouble-Yes the dr said that nerves are the slowest to recover. Muscles, bones, tendons, disks, nerves, in that order I think.. I am not sure if you are saying to run with the treatment for now or to put some cash down on an MRI now. My mom said she can have a dr she knows look at me, I believe this doc is a chiro thats an MD. Mine is not. Should I seek a second opinion?

HighVelocity-your responce left me with cold sweats. Though it seemed your problem came on slowly and the pain slowly went away, whereas mine was "tolerable" until it literally snapped (like a hammer to your funny bone, but in your ass), now the pain is slowly going away. However, you have an MRI and I dont. I really, really hope I dont get that bad, but even though my limp is better and I can sit in a chair for longer periods of time, raising my foot, my big toe strength, and numbess has not gotten better.

Tomorrow is another big toe strength day and I must say, it doesnt seem better today.. Next week, will be when, if there is nothing improved (anything that doesnt help with my depression), I am telling him I want an MRI, even if its too soon, I want that piece of mind.

I mean would this shit heal THIS slowly?

IML Gear Cream!
"In the next few days I started to loose feeling on the outside of my foot and calf, and experiencing partial muscle paralysis (especially in my calf). My chiropractor had an MRI setup for me (cost me $500). It confirmed a huge disc herniation between L5-S1. The neuro surgeon who I went to said that the MRI suggest I need surgery. However, he was reluctant to cut just yet because the pain had subsided."

Why havent you been cut yet? How long has it been since youve been diagnosed? It sounds like youre miserable and god knows, I am now.

I have to keep telling myself its been just over a week now since this nerve beat the hell out of me. Still though, I am growing impatient.

Tomorrow is another big toe strength day and I must say, it doesnt seem better today.. Next week, will be when, if there is nothing improved (anything that doesnt help with my depression), I am telling him I want an MRI, even if its too soon, I want that piece of mind.

I mean would this shit heal THIS slowly?
My entire right foot is weak and if I didn't have anything I would probably limp like Quasimodo, well not really but it hurts.... funny thing is I can bend forward, but if I lean backwards there is a pinching sensation inside my back and hip that leaves me unbearably sore for a day or 2. I think tossing and turning in bed at night doesn't help it, I think I should get straps sewn into my matress to keep me in one position or something??????

Comments:

Pain severity and rate of recovery depend on post event treatment and injury aggravation, degree of herniation (4 degrees possible, more than one level mentioned in recent posts), your pain feedback system (pain threshold and response), rate of recovery (nerve and soft tissue recover at different rates which are also health status related), treatment, and active recovery options used.

Not weeks, months.

I blew out, severely, two disks, L4 and L5. I did not have surgery, it wasn't a viable option. Two years to recover to the point of minor daily pain. Four months lying flat on the floor for a large chunk of each day, on a special pad with supports. Minor pain medication, others not allowed due to unusual drug metabolism patterns.

At month two, I was able to alternate patterns of laying and walking. Rising to my feet and laying down were excruciating activities. By month 3, I was walking up to 10 miles daily, in an attempt to correct positioning and reestablish ligament strength (coupled with mild positional stretching under the guidance of a PT (friend, for whom I later paid in kind with professional help). I didn't sleep in a real bed for almost a year; I didn't sit in chairs for more than 8 months. Life spent at floor level changes your perspective.

Patience. Give treatment a chance.

Time heals all wounds

Akira, those are good questions which I forgot to elaborate on in my original post. I had the initial trauma about 2 months ago, and the MRI about 1 month ago. The reason I haven't been cut on yet is because this is a "fresh" herniation, and it's huge. The surgery is involved and somewhat complicated, meaning that I would have more problems after the surgery than if I were to see if it heals on its own. Another little known fact . . . disc herniations shrink! Since mine is so huge, and I have no pain now, I think there's a good chance the after a few months, I shouldn't have anymore nerve compression. I'm not totally sure if they shrink, or just recede back into their proper position, or a combo.

I am in no pain whatsoever. Unless I bend past my knees. My strength isn't changing for better or for worse. That muscle is still paralyzed and is starting to atrophy. What I'm starting to worry about is that I may have damaged my sciatic nerve to the point of partial nerve degeneration from my ass down to my foot. Nerve REGENERATION happens at a rate of 1-2mm/day. So if my leg is around 700mm long, then I'll probably be limping for over a year. Surgery won't help anything at this point.

I am grateful that peripheral nerves do regenerate. Central (spinal) nerves don't.

Maniclion, pain is a good thing. If you're in chronic pain, then that probably means that nerve is still being "pinched" or compressed. The time you should start to worry is when the pain stops and two weeks go by without getting any sensation or motor function back to your muscles. Then you know your nerve was compromised and will probably have to regenerate.

Ubercoach et. all: anyone know if this institutes methods are as effective as traditional sgy? Thanks.
www.laserspineinstitute.com

Stability and plasticity of primary afferent projections following nerve rNerve root impingement???a common back problem

From top to bottom down the entire length of the spine, at each spinal level nerves exit through holes in the bone of the spine (foramen) on the right side and left side of the spinal column. These nerves are called nerve roots, or radicular nerves. They branch out at each level of the spine and innervate different parts of our body. For example, nerves that exit the cervical spine travel down through the arms, hands and fingers. This is why neck problems that affect a cervical nerve root can cause pain and other symptoms through the arms and hands, and low back problems that affect a lumbar nerve root can radiate through the leg and into the foot (sciatica).

As mentioned earlier, there is no spinal cord in the lumbar spine. Because of this, and because the spinal canal is usually fairly spacious in the low back, problems in the lumbosacral region (the lumbar spine and sacral region of the spine) usually cause nerve root problems, not spinal cord injury. Even serious conditions such as a large disc herniation or fracture in the low back are less likely to cause permanent loss of motor function in the legs (paraplegia, or paralysis).

The nerve roots are named for the level of the spine at which they exit. However, nerve roots are not labeled consistently throughout the length of the spine.

* In the cervical spine, the nerve root is named according to the LOWER spinal segment that the nerve root runs between. For example, the nerve at the C5-C6 level is called the C6 nerve root.

It is named this way because as it exits the spine the nerve root passes OVER the C6 pedicle (a piece of bone that is part of the spinal segment).

* In the lumbar spine, the nerve roots are named according to the UPPER segment that the nerve runs between. For example, the nerve root at the L4-L5 level is called the L4 nerve root.

The nerve root is named this way because as it exits the spine it passes UNDER the L4 pedicle (a piece of bone that is part of the spinal segment).

The area that the naming change occurs is at the C7-T1 level (Thoracic 1), meaning that there are 8 cervical nerve roots and only 7 cervical vertebrae. Here, the C8 nerve exits UNDER the C7 vertebra and OVER the T1 vertebra. From this point down through the upper back, lower back and sacral region, the nerve is named for the upper segment of the spine that the nerve root runs between (and the pedicle it passes UNDER as it exits the spine).

This is part of the picture. However, the doctor may still say that you have a problem with the L5 nerve root at the L4-L5 level. Since we just explained that the L4 nerve root exits at the L4-L5 level, this sounds like a contradiction. However, both statements are correct, and can be explained by the fact that there are two nerve roots at each level.

Two nerve roots at each level
It should be mentioned that two nerves cross each disc level and only one exits the spine (through the foramen) at that level.

* Exiting nerve root. The nerve root that exits the spine at a particular level is referred to as the ???exiting??? nerve root.

Example: The L4 nerve root exits the spine at the L4-L5 level.

* Traversing nerve root. Another nerve root goes across the disc and exits the spine at the next level below. It is called the ???traversing??? nerve root.

Example: The L5 nerve root is the traversing nerve root at the L4-L5 level, and is the exiting nerve root at the L5-S1 level.

A lot of confusion occurs because when a nerve root is compressed by disc herniation or other cause, it is common to refer both to the intervertebral level (where the disc is) and to the nerve root that is affected. Depending on where the disc herniation or protrusion occurs, it may impinge upon either the exiting nerve root or the traversing nerve root. For example:

When the traversing nerve root is affected
In the lumbar spine, there is a weak spot in the disc space that lies right in front of the traversing nerve root, so lumbar discs tend to herniate or leak out and impinge on the traversing nerve root. For example, a typical posterolateral (behind the disc and to the side) lumbar disc herniation at the L4-L5 level often affects the nerve that traverses the L4-L5 level and exits at the L5 level, called the L5 nerve root.

When the exiting nerve root is affected
The opposite is true in the neck. In the cervical spine, the disc tends to herniate to the side (laterally), rather than toward the back and the side (posterolaterally). If the disc material herniates to the side, it would likely compress the exiting nerve root. For example, the C6 nerve root would be affected at the C5-C6 level (because in the neck the exiting nerve root is named for the level below it).

Radiculopathy and sciatica
Another word for the nerve root is ???radicular nerve???, and when a herniated disc or prolapsed disc presses on the radicular nerve, this is often referred to as a radiculopathy. Thus, a physician might say that there is herniated disc at the L4-L5 level, creating an L5 radiculopathy or an L4 radiculopathy, depending on where the disc herniation occurs (to the side or to the back of the disc) and which nerve root is affected. The lay term for a radiculopathy in the low back is sciatica.

This is a very good site to read up on sciatica and its various organic causes.

http://www.spine-health.com/topics/cd/d_sciatica/sc02.html

My chiro did speak of "possible nerve damage," but since it takes so long to heal...ugh, I dont know. I am just fucking spent. My friends have been telling me today to "not worry" cuz it could "last a month, so why worry about a week?"

Trust me, I do not want to be cut open over a fucking STRETCH gone arai nor do I really want to shell out extra money on an MRI just to pinpoint the problem, but I am miserable. Patience and AKIRA are not close friends. Every time I think about not being able to workout for months, my face gets sweaty and I want to flip out...yet I cant.

I mean, I bought a stack from IM Sunday before Labor day and then on Tuesday, I fuck myself up. Its like preparing for your 1st powerlifting meet and getting injured before the first day; from all to nothing.

My mother wants me to go to this MD to not only get a second opinion, but to maybe get on a drug called Predisone (might not be the correct spelling) and I just cant see a drug helping me here.

I am feeling real blue today (and RED). Especially after this girl I slept with a lil while ago told me shes got back problems, her disks are messed up along with her neck, but no she didnt have that happen from a stretch, it happened from a fucking car accident. I cant even laugh, cough, or sneeze without being reminded of my screw up.

Love,
Raged Sadness

Holy shit Trouble, that site you listed is right on with where my numbess, tingling, and weakness is; L5. That whole region is affected...err, right above the ankle and down. The others are fine.

Trouble, are you a doctor? :eek:

Yes, but not an MD. My injury was in the same location. In my case, I tried to prevent a 370 lb instrument from rocketing off of a cart when we "dropped it" (controlled elevation chance on a collapsible cart). The other person had similar injuries. This was a very expensive special research instrument loaned to my ex and I to test in our lab years ago. I didn't even realize I had injured it (first 12 hours), or that life had changed radically for me that day. The herniation developed rapidly after the first half day got progressively worse until I was agony. That state lasted quite a while. It eventually effected both legs.

I continued to work as though nothing was wrong for almost a month. Except that I couldn't sleep, couldn't eat and was in excruciating pain. I finally saw a chiro, who was unable to adjust my back for several more weeks because it was so badly spasmed, it was rigid. This guy was a weight lifter, pretty big at over six foot, and his brother, in practice with him and few years older, was even bigger. Neither of them had ever seen a back so immobile. He used a series of nerve release actions (very new idea at that time) to slowly release the interlocked muscles. From that point on, recovery was very, very slow.

I only mention this to for comparative purpose. Things could be worse. I'm sorry you have this pain, I know its difficult to endure with when you haven't had this kind of injury before. I think you will find that with careful treatment, that this damage will slowly reverse itself to the point of minor stiffness in your lower back, and with luck, eventually it will resolve itself completely without the need for surgical intervention.

How long did it take you to recover?

I also wanted to know if anyone has ever 'bounced' back from this, meaning, they were able to deadlift again and perhaps were stronger (?)

Ive got an MRI scheduled for the 29th.

About 2.5 years, to be relatively free of pain. Have fascia scar tissue in the area that makes it feel tight if I don't keep up core strength and spinal flexibility exercises. Feels like shit if my sleep schedule goes to hell in a handbasket. Reflexive stupidity cause the initial damage; stubborn ignorance compounded it (by waiting so long for chiropractic care).

I was deadlifting 325+ for 10 last year without damage to that area. Many experienced lifters have recovered from these injuries and gone on to impressive lifting performance.

You might not be lifting heavy for 6-8 months, but as you recover, you'll be able to add back in various exercises that will help you keep most of the strength gains you had before your injury.

Back